Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There's no real point in this thread, anything can sound either cheap or expensive it all depends on the context you put it in.
    I'm quite sure I've got about 300 days played in WoW, and I didn't actually start playing till WotLK. So that means I've been paying like €1560 (not regarding smalls breaks, gametime cards I've received other ways around, paying with tokens instead of actual cash) for 300 days of fun which adds to €0.22 per hour of fun I've had. I'd say that's quite cheap.
    At the same time, playing ANY game is actually even more expensive than merely paying for the game. Newsflash: time is money friend. Any hour you've been playing actually costs you extra, as you could have been working instead. Considering a wage of €10/h (I'm from Denmark, this would actually be below minimum salary), playing WoW actually costs me €10.22/h, which would be quite expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    It is even less than that for many. When I did pay cash for sub time I bought in bulk for the savings and to avoid the hassle of having time run out. By doing it for 6 months at a time it was 13 bucks a month. I haven't paid for subs since the token was added in WoD, my garrison bought me 5+ years of time on it's own. When the shop stuff was added in I stopped buying expansions with cash too. On top of that I have the full versions of anything I'd like to play from bnet with all the pets, toys, mounts and all that stuff all given to me largely in part from the garrison money printing machine and just passively making gold playing since then. Doing anything else does cost so so much more as far as cost in dollars. Now the one thing I know I wouldn't have if it wasn't for WoW is a $2,000+ dropped into a computer. Now I do use it for other things, but Destiny, SWTOR or Diablo wouldn't have prompted me to spend that cash.
    SWTOR prompted me to spend the big loads on CE and ...- well.. Now I look at it, I'm disappointed. For me, World of Warcraft - generally Blizzard games - has been the better investment of games.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The only ones being milked are the morons spending money on a title they don't want to play.

And these forums seem to be littered with such morons.
    The rest tend to spend money on things they want, so don't you fret.

My other big hobby will set me back 2200 euro in a flash. And that's just to get started.
    Well said!

I know someone who spent that much on girls during their last vacation. One's entertainment budget is all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I think it would be pretty sad to spend 8+ hours a day doing only one thing just because you couldn't afford more than 15€ for the hobbies you actually wanted to do or couldn't think of any of the thousands of other activities that could be done for cheaper.
    you completely missed the point.
    Wow has been entertaining some people for 15 years for 8+ hours a day while only costing 15€ a month.
    compare that to any other hobby and not many can rival that

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFlame View Post
    you completely missed the point.
    Wow has been entertaining some people for 15 years for 8+ hours a day while only costing 15€ a month.
    compare that to any other hobby and not many can rival that
    I make music as a hobby. I bought FL Studio for about £150 and get free updates for life. Probably spent about £700 on a few synths and effects plugins. Tons of excellent free plugins out there. And unlike the WoW subscription the money spent on making music is an actual investment (or at least it can be as long you're good enough to actually sell some music. There's a lot of shite out there). Throw in some orchestral sample libraries and the cost goes up significantly though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    Today I realised it have been 172 months since WoW's launch. And if you have been around since launch and paid 6 months sub it's 2236$.
    Seeing how high the total cost is it starts to feel like a scam, no game is worth 2236$. We really should get more with the money we have paid.
    Best money I've ever spent

people can spend their money however it makes them happy, I've played the game many years - but all in all, it's some of the best gaming memories I've ever had

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I make music as a hobby. I bought FL Studio for about £150 and get free updates for life. Probably spent about £700 on a few synths and effects plugins. Tons of excellent free plugins out there. And unlike the WoW subscription the money spent on making music is an actual investment (or at least it can be as long you're good enough to actually sell some music. There's a lot of shite out there). Throw in some orchestral sample libraries and the cost goes up significantly though.
    What kind of music!

Today I realised it have been 172 months since WoW's launch. And if you have been around since launch and paid 6 months sub it's 2236$.
    Seeing how high the total cost is it starts to feel like a scam, no game is worth 2236$. We really should get more with the money we have paid.
    Who pays for wow...? I sure as hell don't, haven't since cata but that is another story. The game is worth it to me because I pay everything in gold. I have 15 million gold. Anyone can literally pay their sub now effortlessly with gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    I have never bought a $60 game and played it for 10 years. I have never payed $60 for a game and enjoyed it for longer than 2 years.
    Skyrim. But only becaus of Mod support, Enderal and other things.

And then people gladly buy a new game every 2nd month. PS gold token.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

We don't give a fuck about what you do with your money, as you shouldn't give a fuck about what we do with ours.

I play a lot of a games, its my hobby. Since december 2003, when i started my steam account. Thats 5.562 days as of writing this. thats a about 15 years and a few months. I have spent 13518 dollars on steam. If its only 2230 bucks for wow for the same time, a game im playing daily most of the time, and weekly in the downtimes. Then yeah, ive got my moneys worth. I have played wow more then all the games ive bought on steam combined

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigbleach View Post
    Who pays for wow...? I sure as hell don't, haven't since cata but that is another story. The game is worth it to me because I pay everything in gold. I have 15 million gold. Anyone can literally pay their sub now effortlessly with gold.
    if you abused the fucked up economy in wod and later in Legion, sure, You do not pay for wow in gold effortlessly now in bfa if you don't have a large gold reserve. You are hardly getting anything in, no mission tables, nothing. Yeah, you might be selling boosts for gold, but that requires great effort and most players are not doing this

I have not been milked. WoW is a hobby, one that I gladly paid for. I enjoyed playing it, and as such got my moneys worth.
    RETH

on the other hand - thought how much you spend on your house/apartment when you could have lived in your parent;s basement .

dont you feel milked by life itself ? ^^

I don't feel milked at all. I sold my 10 year statue for 700. I've spent way more on steam games I've never touched and lol skins

My first world problems don't allow me to see what you are complaining about. My first snowboarding trip 15 years ago cost me just over $3,000 for 1 week, all I got out of that trip was extreme soreness and a tear in my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    What kind of music!
    Can you guess?

But yeah. Some dark stuff but also some synthwave/chillwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    SWTOR prompted me to spend the big loads on CE and ...- well.. Now I look at it, I'm disappointed. For me, World of Warcraft - generally Blizzard games - has been the better investment of games.
    A topic for a different thread, but SWTOR should have and could have been so much better than it was. Just by having rights to SW it was going to be a big game, it just fell flat fast and hard. Bioware and EA were not ready for the MMO world and it showed at almost every step having over 800 servers to start and capping them at tiny numbers of people is a prime example.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    A topic for a different thread, but SWTOR should have and could have been so much better than it was. Just by having rights to SW it was going to be a big game, it just fell flat fast and hard. Bioware and EA were not ready for the MMO world and it showed at almost every step having over 800 servers to start and capping them at tiny numbers of people is a prime example.
    Of course but thought the result of my comment fitted with this thread. I have no regrets with the money spent on WoW.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I spend more per race season just in entrance fees alone over 6 months. That's not even adding in fuel, food, travel expenses, replacing worn parts and broken parts. $2236 over 15 years is nothing.