Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03...rney-kim-foxx/

Lol.

TL;DR: The Cook Count State's Attorney's Office sent out an internal email asking for people to find examples of other felonies being dropped under similar circumstances to the Smollett case so they can go "See guys, nothing out of the ordinary here! Its always been done like this!"

Literally trying to excuse their actions with a logical fallacy.

You can't make this shit up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

Lol.

TL;DR: The Cook Count State's Attorney's Office sent out an internal email asking for people to find examples of other felonies being dropped under similar circumstances to the Smollett case so they can go "See guys, nothing out of the ordinary here! Its always been done like this!"

She should be able to look this up in the database with a simple SQL query. And as the State Attorney, she should have rights to run a query, view, and report on this data. Well She might not know SQL, but the guy who manages the IT infrastructure does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    She should be able to look this up in the database with a simple SQL query. And as the State Attorney, she should have rights to run a query, view, and report on this data. Well She might not know SQL, but the guy who manages the IT infrastructure does.
    This wasn't an official deal though. Its not like a plea bargain, or Smollett signing some agreement, etc. They specifically said this consisted of nothing more than a verbal agreement.

One would think it unlikely people would enter detailed accounts of their political back scratching and/or light corruption into official databases...

Question, If you didn't fake your own hate crime, was thrown in jail for faking it (though you didn't) and you had the option to pay up 10k to go free but your attackers got away with it, would you do it? I think a sane honest person would say no.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Question, If you didn't fake your own hate crime, was thrown in jail for faking it (though you didn't) and you had the option to pay up 10k to go free but your attackers got away with it, would you do it? I think a sane honest person would say no.
    A “sane” person would rather sit in jail based on principle?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Looks like she might be #Learningtocode soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    As long as you can afford decent representation.. Note that I said impartial, not discriminatory. Clearly white men vs any kind of woman you're fucked.
    Well there's representation and then there's representation, isn't there?

Ivanka and Trump Jr's representation got them off of a fraud charge by bribing the NY AG for example. Weinstein's lawyer got an investigation into him that had him red-handed on tape dropped with a donation to the same AG. That kind of "representation" comes at a premium.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    "Rich privilege is more of a thing than white privilege"

"Shut up racist!"

Kinda weird to bitch about this kind of thing when your kind gets upset saying it's not white privilege.
    Who are "my kind" in this scenario?

Rich privilege exists pretty much tautologically, I mean privilege is basically what being rich is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Lol.

If they says this is common place for this type of crime and then Show proof how is that a fallacy?

Heard on the news that they are going to make Smollett pay back the money the city spent on police overtime for investigating his case. It's like $350 thousand dollars.

At least that's something.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    If they says this is common place for this type of crime and then Show proof how is that a fallacy?
    Well, if it’s common (which according to the state bar it is not) then they shoildn’t Have to look very hard to find examples of it happening, and probably don’t need everyone desperately combing their archives for it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Well, if it’s common (which according to the state bar it is not) then they shoildn’t Have to look very hard to find examples of it happening, and probably don’t need everyone desperately combing their archives for it right?
    You mean if it is coming place they shooodnt have to go dig through to find this crime in particular among all the other crimes?

You mean if it is coming place they shooodnt have to go dig through to find this crime in particular among all the other crimes?
    I mean if it’s common place they shouldn’t need everyone going through their case files to find an example, just an intern or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Appealing to tradition is a fallacy.

Appealing to tradition is a fallacy.
    That's a really silly argument.

"These types of non-violent crimes tend to be treated this way to free up the system to deal with more serious crimes"

and then you say "that's a fallacy!"

.... you serious?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    I mean if it’s common place they shouldn’t need everyone going through their case files to find an example, just an intern or something.
    They would need to go through their case files.

I mean do you know anything about law? Do you think there is like just a set database that is easily explored in an instant?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well there's representation and then there's representation, isn't there?

Ivanka and Trump Jr's representation got them off of a fraud charge by bribing the NY AG for example. Weinstein's lawyer got an investigation into him that had him red-handed on tape dropped with a donation to the same AG. That kind of "representation" comes at a premium.

- - - Updated - - -

Who are "my kind" in this scenario?

Rich privilege exists pretty much tautologically, I mean privilege is basically what being rich is.
    Whatever I want, just like when you do this.

But the idea is he shouldn't have had this happen since people love to say black people have no power or privilege as a hard fact.

10+ Year Old Account

"These types of non-violent crimes tend to be treated this way to free up the system to deal with more serious crimes"

.... you serious?
    That's the thing, they don't tend to be treated that way, that's why they are digging. They are trying to cherry pick some examples to make that fallacious argument.

.... you serious?

- - - Updated - - -

They would need to go through their case files.

I mean do you know anything about law? Do you think there is like just a set database that is easily explored in an instant?
    I'd assume people that have the same credentials as the people calling them out would have looked for a case prior to trying to pass what now turns out to be a legally questionable move.

That's the thing, they don't tend to be treated that way, that's why they are digging. They are trying to cherry pick some examples to make that fallacious argument.
    That argument is calling all examples of precedence a fallacy which is illogical.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd assume people that have the same credentials as the people calling them out would have looked for a case prior to trying to pass what now turns out to be a legally questionable move.
    You think every single case that gets dismissed or expunged like this has a lawyer looking for 20 different cases of the same thing?

You both need to stop living in fucking fantasy world and thin of how these things actually work in practice.

Whatever I want, just like when you do this.

But the idea is he shouldn't have had this happen since people love to say black people have no power or privilege as a hard fact.
    So is any part of your argument here not in bad faith?

Rich privilege exists for people of all races. Doesn't contradict other kinds of privilege.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So is any part of your argument here not in bad faith?

Rich privilege exists for people of all races. Doesn't contradict other kinds of privilege.
    It's as bad faith as you in all your threads. God, I love that buzzword.

Not to people who think minorities can't have privilege of any kind. Just like people say with no hint of irony that minorities can't be racist.

- - - Updated - - -

That argument is calling all examples of precedence a fallacy which is illogical.

- - - Updated - - -

You think every single case that gets dismissed or expunged like this has a lawyer looking for 20 different cases of the same thing?

You both need to stop living in fucking fantasy world and thin of how these things actually work in practice.
    The bar had no trouble finding out their move was sketchy. So, I'd like to think her office could figure that out and make it more palatable.

Or, they fucked up trying to do someone a favor.