Thread: Model upgrades?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    I generally try to ignore the fanatics that treat classic like it was the second coming of christ.
    Classic is what classic is. You ask for the old days, then so should be given. It would be waste of money to reboot the franchise with all the new stuff features but still the same content.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    well time to get the mods out boys

I don't understand these threads, or people in general asking for changes.

I'm a Metal Gear Solid fan. I often go back to the series and play it though. I don't pop in that disc from 1998 and get mad, or expect, they release updates to it. If they did, it wouldn't be MGS anymore. That defeats the purpose of playing retro games.

Or...what if they re-released Super Mario Brothers on the NES from 1985 with updated graphics? It wouldn't be the same game anymore, and defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I was hoping they would have updated everything but had it defalt to old graphics and ALLOW you to switch to new graphics.
    as with legion and BFA they started RANDOMLY updating tons of models they literally used maybe once or twice or not at all in the new zones, but were remakes of old vanilla models.
    but they didnt sadly. oh well.

alot of people here will tell you
    NO CHANGES
    cause alot of them are mad at even slight graphical changes...
    Is it a requirement in FelPlague's mind that models chosen to be updated are being used in current content? Because typically model updates are applied retroactively to all existing mobs of the updated type. It seems you're grasping at straws to find something to complain about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krohl View Post
    That is not the point at all... it is a better game and its an actual server community. That's the point.
    Cited for opinion from new throwaway troll account.

7+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down

*coughs loudly and grumpily, indefinably leads hands around trying to draw everyone’s attention to something, notices that OP is already banned, grumbles approvingly with head nodding, leaves slowly with thinking about something nice while scratching tummy and smacking lips*
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-04-01 at 09:33 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

isn't there already an option to switch between old and new models? Not sure why they wouldn't allow that for classic, unless it would take a lot to implement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Hopefully someone comes up with an add-on that changes all the graphics to modern WoW equivalents. I would've preferred a built-in option that you can turn on, but I understand why that might cause some issues (primarily animations). I much prefer the current look of the game compared to the old one, but the old gameplay is also really fun.
    Is it going to be a separate install folder? If so and they don't put the newer models into the games files, could be hard for an addon to do it. And possibly against the rules?

10+ Year Old Account
    You wanted Classic...

Omfg...

as long as they keep the old animations i wouldnt care if it was an option. youre going to be covered in low rez gear anyways so its really all about the animations.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    isn't there already an option to switch between old and new models? Not sure why they wouldn't allow that for classic, unless it would take a lot to implement.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and it busted the old models so if you wanted to use them they weren't the same anymore.

THE NEW AND OLD MODELS CAN EASILY WORKED TOGETHER

let me explain why it failed for the special people in wod.....AND STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION!

HERE IS A lolgraph to look at but you get rough idea

OLD model----------New model
    NEmaleDance | NEmaleDance (old made in classic, but new model has same path)
    NEmaleattack | NEmaleattack (old made in classic, but new model has same path)
    ------------ | NEmagespecial (never made with old model in mind)

This can’t work from old to NEW but it works from NEW TO OLD

the OLD RIG has none of the new animations and to have a style of animations that match the old is double the work so THEY GOT RID OF OF THE OLD RIG AND PUT THE NEW RIG ON THE OLD MODELS

this was why it failed for some
    personally i think they were too whiny as wow has always had clipping and some armor never looked good on all races

THE WAY IT WORKS FOR CLASSIC WOW IS SIMPLE

you have TWO FOLDERS, one is the old model/old RIG, other is New Model and New Rig.

because we are only USING ANIMATIONS THE OLD RIG HAS the new rig automatically works as if you look through a model viewer EVERYTHING IS LABELED THE SAME.

This works with spell animations also, because the casting animation is tied to the model, but labeled the same, spell effects are pulled from somewhere else, IT IS VERY easy to have HD spells and MODELS as a toggle and OLD MODELS and OLD SPELL EFFECTS.

This applies to NPC models as well, all the naming conventions ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

this is why Private classic servers have new model patches and work because they don’t use the new animations the new rig has, some tried to and that is were it gets wonky.

OLD model----------New model
    NEmaleRun | NEmaleRun
    both models/rigs have the same path for the run animation.

But there is two different old Models One with the old Rig and New Rig
    the new model only has the new rig

YES they are unique animations but the same file path which is what is displayed on your SCREEN, aka why a toggle is so easy as it;s just moving the target folder over 1 where everything inside it still has the SAME PATH, but a new item at said destination.

this is how themes work on websites and apps, everything has the same file path, just a new color/picture at the end destination.

in classic wow you could rename files and create your own patch that would change these said values, aka how you could be playing a human mage but if you renamed a copy of all of the night elf files with Human instead it would display in game as a night elf mage in classic. Blizzard obviously quickly fixed as they should of as this is where hacking comes into play and people have gotten clever with changing the memory on your own computer to do this same task without changing a file in wow, blizzard recently blocked this AGAIN as they should to stop hackers. As hackers usually use these methods to abuse the game for their own benefit like making iron ores giant pink Ragarnos’s.

All you need is to change the destination target to make this work and that is basically what a toggle is a Blizzard approved method coded into the game it self.
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2019-03-31 at 12:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Yes and it busted the old models so if you wanted to use them they weren't the same anymore.
    the only reason it busted the old model is because they added new animations for combat and out of combat, and had no want to update them for the old models.

so they just slowly removed the old models kinda.
    with vanilla that would not be a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabakaga View Post
    They should give players options to choose, just have it in in game settings old model or new model. Vanilla no change fanatics and those who prefer old models could leave it as it is and others could switch over to newer models.
    I actually consider myself in that camp but I see no reason why not have it as an OPTION
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret81
    I´ve heard, there will be Epic loot as normal quest rewards in Cata while you level.
    To make the quest feel more epic.

the only reason it busted the old model is because they added new animations for combat and out of combat, and had no want to update them for the old models.

so they just slowly removed the old models kinda.
    with vanilla that would not be a problem
    You assume it wouldn't be a problem

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    You assume it wouldn't be a problem
    it wouldnt, because it wasnt until they started adding new animations.
    also private servers have allowed this for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

No changes

I'm sure there will be an addon or something that let's people use live models.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    There should be both, for the fanatics that spam "no change" 24/7 on forum and those that dont wanna gouge their eyes out.
    Sure. Right after they add old models back to retail

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Jesus, I'd forgotten how bad the old female night elf was. Now I remember why I barely played them before WoD.

I wish they would give us the option to have updated models. Obviously vanilla graphics should be the default, but those of us who want to play classic with a fresh lick of paint should get the option to do so imo. But it's highly unlikely.

I know it's possible without affecting anyone else's experience as private servers have done it for both players and NPC's, despite a few insisting that it'd somehow break the old model animations (Which is dumb, the change is client side. Not server or engine). Sure the third party updates aren't perfect, but we're talking about some russian coders hiding out in their mother's basement, Blizzard could do a better job if they wanted to give players the option for updated graphics.

If Blizzard don't give players the option then someone else will make a patch that does it for us.

it wouldnt, because it wasnt until they started adding new animations.
    also private servers have allowed this for a long time.
    Yes and would those new animations suddenly just disappear? Like I said you are assuming it wouldn't cause problems.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Yes it's against ToS, no it's not always detectable.
    You can't, their current client just won't launch without a check in MPQ files, unless you are willing to use a hexed exe to disable it.

They are not using the old game client.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3