Poll: How long do you let them stay?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A friend is down on his luck and needs a place to stay.

A friend is down on his luck and needs a place to stay how long do you let them stay?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-04-05 at 04:11 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    Until they could sort out something else. My friends aren't leeches, not worried about getting stuck with them.

If I had to put a time limit though, 6 months.
    Last edited by Revi; 2019-04-05 at 04:13 PM.

I've let a friend stay for two months. I have told other friends they are welcome to stay as long as they need to get where they need to be.

Depends on the friend and what they are doing when they are staying. At this point in life something truly ground breaking would have to happen for one of them to end up in my spare room. Almost all of my friends are married with kids, home owners with good jobs.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I wouldn't have any issue letting any of my mates stay for as long as they needed. I'm 100% sure they'd say the same.

I had a friend crash at my studio apartment on the floor for 2 weeks. I probably would have been fine with longer.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they trying to get back up/ helping around the house they welcome to stay indefinitely

It depends. I have a spare bedroom, so space isn't an issue. It really depends on how much of them I can handle and whether we would get on each others nerves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Are they actively working, looking for work, or at least doing something around the house to get themselves in a better place? If so I wouldn't mind, if not I wouldn't let them stay long.

Really depends on what friend.

7+ Year Old Account
    Provided they do try to get back up on their feet and they at least help around the house, they are welcome to stay for as long as they need.

Really depends on their situation. I would easily be more open to letting them crash at my place rather than providing monetary help. If they are also helping out around the house by picking up after themselves and overall being respectful I would let them stay as long as they needed to get things together. I would not just let them leech for a prolonged period though.

think i spent 10 days at a friends

Already had an apartment lined up though.

Depends on who and how it would be to live with them. Do he/she makes him/herself useful or go full leech?

I'm married now so that complicates the situation. Depends on which friend and how they behave. Are they a burden? Do they help out?

At the worst, I'd park my dad's travel trailer out back and let them stay in that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Had three different cases of this
    1) person stayed long past their welcome a whopping two years (got them to quit smoking after 1 though!) They were working they "just needed a place to stay while they found a new place in our state"
    2)Had a friend stay about six months, wished it was longer cause it turned into a semi-poly relationship while they lived with us - school related
    3)Cousin stayed with us for 2 weeks before we kicked them out - moved states thing again :/
    Relationship with the person matters I suppose
    Overall I would put a min of a week (might as well actually help them) and max of a year unless they start contributing in some significant way

Since my friends are not deadbeat leech i will let them stay with me for as long as they need cause i know they will do everything in their power to get back on track .

For me it really depends on the friend.

I have a few extremely close friends that I would let stay with me as long as they need to and other friends that basically range from being welcome for a few days to a few weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

A friend is down on his luck and needs a place to stay how long do you let them stay?
    I would say, 2-7 days if they just need a place to chill. Max 6 months but that is if they help around the house.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

as i live in an apartment complex that is anally strict with its rules (even the smallest infraction is grounds to get kicked out) I would only be allowed to let them stay for a day or two, that being said if it was one friend in particular I wouldn't let them stay longer than that anyway because they're a fucking pig and their apartment always looks like a tornado went through it and I don't want my place looking like shit
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.