Thread: Joe Biden- why?

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The smaller rings adding up doesn't change the fact that they are in fact a small ring and if the big rings weren't there things would have gone the other way.
    Yeah, but the smallest ring, is the easiest one to snap off...

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Now I want an onion ring tower... thanks a lot.
    Now you know how I always feel...

I was thinking of a toy, with colorful rings.

Last edited by Felya; 2019-06-29 at 02:19 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The real problem is how the voter turnout is so low in the US(which benefits the GOP, wonder why). Maybe try going after those who don't vote or adress the system that prevents them from voting?(more polling stations for one)

10+ Year Old Account
    A fraction of a fraction on the left is the responsible for the right being the party of anti science god forbid you put the blame where it belongs on the right itself which went so far right it became alt right.
    I never said fringe leftists are to blame for the right becoming what it became, they did that all on their own. I said fringe leftists enabled them by undermining Democrats who would have otherwise defeated them and prevented their policy from ever coming to pass, most notably in the 2000 election.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I never said fringe leftists are to blame for the right becoming what it became, they did that all on their own. I said fringe leftists enabled them by undermining Democrats who would have otherwise defeated them and prevented their policy from ever coming to pass, most notably in the 2000 election.
    Most of them still voted for Clinton(unless you have a source proving otherwise), so good luck with that.

The fringe left is so tiny in the US that it will not affect anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of them still voted for Clinton(unless you have a source proving otherwise), so good luck with that.

And the 2000 election was stolen by the surpreme court, hardly something that can be blamed on people not voting for Gore.

The fringe left is so tiny in the US that it will not affect anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    That’s kinda funny... we are pointing at a similar thing, while talking about 2 different elections. I think the greater issue might be, just the simple fact of winning the popular vote, will more likely lead to putting blame internally. Unlike when a victory is decisive on both popular and electoral, restructuring is more prevalent.

Basically, the extremes lost, because the majority agreed with them... if only they were not so extreme...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    But, this thread is about Biden, not altright. It’s fair to relate his position to Bernie or other candidates trying to play the anti establishment role.
    But let's talk about Biden he has run for president several times and each time the problem has been like we saw in the debate himself. He reinforced the worse stereotype about him old tired and out of touch, the second problem he has is his record it's a long noose around his neck as Harris showed. Last but not least populism is still alive and well and people still want change because of several reasons least of all is income inequality and here we have Biden telling Wall Street that's it's all good he's got their back. The problem with Biden isn't anyone else but him always has always will be in this large field of candidates who can beat Trump he is not doing himself favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    The real problem is how the voter turnout is so low in the US(which benefits the GOP, wonder why). Maybe try going after those who don't vote or adress the system that prevents them from voting?(more polling stations for one)

They aren't concerned so they'd rather stay home and play video games. I'm okay with this. Why force people to vote who don't care?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    They aren't concerned so they'd rather stay home and play video games. I'm okay with this. Why force people to vote who don't care?
    Showing your deep political knowledge, as always.

That doesn't change the fact that tens of thousands of fringe leftists idiots throwing their votes away on Nader decided the election... In favor of Bush.
    I'm not in the habit of blaming voters for engaging in what is ultimately normal voting behavior, but it's just as accurate to say that hundreds of thousands of registered Democrats voting for Bush in Florida decided the election. Why is it the fault of one particular subset of voters that didn't vote for Gore rather than another particular subset? Just because you dislike one group more doesn't mean you get to blame them for it.

- - - Updated - - -

But let's talk about Biden he has run for president several times and each time the problem has been like we saw in the debate himself. He reinforced the worse stereotype about him old tired and out of touch, the second problem he has is his record it's a long noose around his neck as Harris showed. Last but not least populism is still alive and well and people still want change because of several reasons least of all is income inequality and here we have Biden telling Wall Street that's it's all good he's got their back. The problem with Biden isn't anyone else but him always has always will be in this large field of candidates who can beat Trump he is not doing himself favors.
    This has been the opinion of Progressives outside of the mainstream press. The bolded part is just...cringe. His case rests on claiming unique electability. The more he shoots himself in the foot, the worse he makes his case. It's hard for him to go anywhere but down.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

15+ Year Old Account
    ??????????

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah and obviously people who voted for Bush were to blame for Bush becoming president.

That doesn't change the fact that tens of thousands of fringe leftists idiots throwing their votes away on Nader decided the election... In favor of Bush.
    People also seem to forget that the congress, and senate, under bush, created the most substantial green energy reform in our country's history.

https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations...d-security-act

It didn't do ENOUGH, sure, but the fact that a Republican passed a clean energy act bill that substantially helped build our way towards green energy, means that all those people on the side of the planet whining about Bush, are ideological purists who can't see the forest for the trees. It's the same with Biden. The progressive ideological purity test is potentially the biggest killing blow for ever getting Trump out of the white house. I hope progressives have another fun 6 years suffering under Trump
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Not content with Kalama Harris' public dismemberment of him in the debate, Biden decides to Walk it Back with this brilliant strategy.

Joe Biden was in full damage-control mode Friday, defending his past positions on racial issues a day after he was left speechless when Sen. Kamala Harris slammed his opposition to school busing at the Democratic debate.

But the gaffe-prone ex-veep and longtime Delaware lawmaker, 76, made another goof as he sought to undo the damage from his troubling debate performance.

He made a cringe-worthy reference to a stereotype about young black men — while trying to discredit stereotypes.

“We’ve got to recognize that a kid wearing a hoodie may very well be the next poet laureate and not a gangbanger,” he said.
    Again, I have no doubt that Biden is not a racist. But using this sort of language really does illustrate why he is so out of touch with the modern party and its values.

That the default is "gangbanger" is the problem, as is the idea that the kid wearing a hoodie has to be a potential poet laureate to be worthy of not being killed by police. He's firmly stuck in the 1990s when it comes to his perceptions of racial relations, and that's bearing out both in the way that he's gaffing and how he's being hammered for it.

But "electability", I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Again, I have no doubt that Biden is not a racist. But using this sort of language really does illustrate why he is so out of touch with the modern party and its values.

That the default is "gangbanger" is the problem, as is the idea that the kid wearing a hoodie has to be a potential poet laureate to be worthy of not being killed by police. He's firmly stuck in the 1990s when it comes to his perceptions of racial relations, and that's bearing out both in the way that he's gaffing and how he's being hammered for it.

Hoodie talk, that sure doesn't sound like scared old white man to me! And he might as well have said the kid might be "one of the good ones".
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Hoodie talk, that sure doesn't sound like scared old white man to me! And he might as well have said the kid might be "one of the good ones".
    It's really depressing that we have to get people from such disparate age groups on a stage together to make things like internalised prejudice actually noticeable, but hey. Let's be real here; the return to normalcy that Biden is advocating is not a return to pre-2016, it's a return to pre-2008 when Americans didn't have to suffer the stain of *gasp* having a black man for president. /s

Vote Republican, turn the clock back to 1890. Vote Biden, turn it back to 1990. At this point they should change his campaign slogan to "It Could Be Worse".
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Not content with Kalama Harris' public dismemberment of him in the debate, Biden decides to Walk it Back with this brilliant strategy.

90's I say he is stuck in a 70's - 80's time loop he's bringing up segregationists ffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden is as likely to beat Trump as any other candidate on that podium. Even the power of love one... you have to come to the table with the idea that nothing will stick to Trump, while everything will stick to you. You can say populism demands change from establishment, than you got a perfect example in billionaire Trump and his 15% bail out vs that thing Biden said. You and I are voting for who ever makes it out as DNC nominee and it’s completely unpredictable what that small percentage that would actually swing between the two candidates, will actually want.

I don’t think the candidate really maters... I think it’s far more important to project unity in the party and get as many people out to vote as possible. The best thing democrats can do to get people to vote, is make the day of election a federal holiday. Day off to vote in every state. Senate would have to block it and you got your ‘Republicans want to take your day off’ card in the bag... but, if it passes... oophh... it would be tough climb for republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    90's I say he is stuck in a 70's - 80's time loop he's bringing up segregationists ffs.
    Why, whatever do you mean?

People gathered at a 2020 presidential fundraiser for Joe Biden Saturday pushed back against the former vice president's claim that just a few years ago people in Washington state would have let a homophobic comment slide, saying "Not in Seattle!"

The presidential hopeful suggested public sentiment toward gay rights issues has come far in a short period of time, saying five years ago if someone at a business meeting in Seattle "made fun of a gay waiter" people would just let it go, according to a pool report of the event. The audience vocally responded to the remark and some in the crowd said homophobic comments would not have gone unchallenged even before five years ago, according to the report.

The event was hosted by public relations executive Roger Nyhus, who is known as a leader in the Seattle gay rights community.
    It's abundantly clear that he's performing exclusively for an audience of a few white people in the Midwest.