Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    As someone who's been playing since the beginning, almost every rep, leading up to Legion, was grindable and Exalted obtainable within a couple days. There were VERY few exceptions to this, but the majority of them were grindable.
    In BC, this wasn't the case. The raid factions took months to do, and Sha'tari Skyguard, Ogri'la, and Shattered Sun took months. Only the factions tied to the 5-mans could be grinded that way, and normal stopped giving rep for them at revered, which means you were daily locked.

In wrath, most of the leveling factions had tabards you could buy to level through dungeons( level 80 dungeons ONLY, so mostly heroics), except for Kalu'ak and the Sholozar factions, which were tied to about 3 weeks of dailies to hit exalted, and Hodir, which you could farm Shards to gain additional xp for. Raid faction as well.

Cataclysm had the leveling factions with tabards. the Tol Barad faction, and the Firelands faction both took weeks of farming.

Most of Pandaland's factions were tied to dailies, Paragon 5-man bonuses, and eventually the Tiller farm repeatable turnins, and rep tokens. Then you had Emperor Shaohao, who's grind became the standard for WoD, Lorewalkers, which actually could be knocked out in a few hours, Thunder Isle reps, which took weeks, same with raid factions, and Nat Pagle, which is capped at 750 rep per day.

WoD's factions were entirely dependant on how bored you were and how many people you were competing against, since you were slaughtering literally thousands of mobs per faction to hit exalted, but you could do each one in a day or so.

No faction in Legion or BFA could be grinded out in a few days.

The point is, MORE THAN HALF the factions in the game took time to grind out, and still do. The Dungeon tabard factions usually ended up being limited by the daily lockout, and most of the others had daily caps set by the number of quests available.

Edit: I started in BC, so I lived these rep grinds. Also, Vanilla reps took days to hit exalted with? Not in Vanilla they didn't.
    Last edited by Margamanthak; 2019-04-07 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    Can anybody remember the reason we were given for going to time release rep grinds?

I finally pulled the plug on the Zandalari rep grind. I thought one of my kids would see it through on his charactor, but he said screw it too.

I miss the days I used to tell my wife I am going to need 72 hours, no interuptions and the coffee maker moved to my desk. I would take a few days, play for an ultra marathon and bang it out with a few friends doing the same.

Now you have to log on everyday, get your little pittance of quests, do them and then nothing else, no possible way to grind rep.

After reading the PC Gamer article I am left shaking my head. Maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded like they remove things from the game people enjoy so they don't get used to gameplay they enjoy? Did I read it wrong?
    72 hours? i'm pretty sure it took longer than that to get the winterspring frostsaber rep exalted.

I miss the days I used to tell my wife I am going to need 72 hours, no interuptions and the coffee maker moved to my desk. I would take a few days, play for an ultra marathon and bang it out with a few friends doing the same.
    Sounds like a massive chore. Which makes sense, because it was.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    72 hours? i'm pretty sure it took longer than that to get the winterspring frostsaber rep exalted.
    You had 4 quests for the faction, one of them the only repeatable rep source, so definitely more than a few days.

to keep you subbed

is 7th legion rep as easy to hit exalted with as honorbound rep?

I miss rep grinds like that too, particularly the vanilla BG rep grinds.

They should just add new BG factions each xpac (eg. Frostwolf: BFA, Frostwolf: Legion) then bump the ilvl for the old rewards up to the current xpacs standard and a quick colour palette swap. Easy to create content that gives people a little extra reason to play casual BGs other than RNG and weekly cap/chest

They'd need to be a very long grind with higher than normal ilvl for the epics though - rather than the current rep grind theme of craptacular ~360ilvl reward which is outclassed well before you've even finished the rep grind.

Can anybody remember the reason we were given for going to time release rep grinds?

I finally pulled the plug on the Zandalari rep grind. I thought one of my kids would see it through on his charactor, but he said screw it too.

Now you have to log on everyday, get your little pittance of quests, do them and then nothing else, no possible way to grind rep.

After reading the PC Gamer article I am left shaking my head. Maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded like they remove things from the game people enjoy so they don't get used to gameplay they enjoy? Did I read it wrong?
    or you could have played since launch , do your daily and get exaled back in october last year.

but nah who would play game - when you can whine on forums that you want something instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    It's a little longer. Mainly because you get less rep per world quest, and I don't see many with the rep tokens like I did with Argus reps.

3 weeks vs. 2 weeks. Not a huge difference, but noticable.
    i got a feeling ill cap my alliance war/paly/mage and unlock Dark Iron dwarves before i hit exalted with the Zandalari

Fun fact - rep grinds were removed ages ago, we've not had them since pre MoP.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

do island expiditions>buy rep tokens with dubloons.
    happy grinding!

7+ Year Old Account
    "I finally pulled the plug on the Zandalari rep grind. I thought one of my kids would see it through on his charactor, but he said screw it too.

I miss the days I used to tell my wife I am going to need 72 hours, no interuptions and the coffee maker moved to my desk."

You sure got a very ... umh ... understanding wife and ... uhm ... understanding(?) kids that lets you check out of family life for 72 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    If we had reputations, that granted valuable things at exalted or revered, i would be all in for different ways to get rep, like a few dailies, some WQs and maybe a farmable token. But i think we are living in the past, if we think that improving diversity of choice will improve our player experience.
    There are valuable things at revered and exalted though. +15 ilvls for HoA at revered with Champions, rank 3 alch recipes at revered with factions, rank 2 engi battle ress recipe at exalted with zanda, mounts at exalted per faction bar Tortolla.
    The grind for those juicy patters were definitely worth it early, as I made a ton of gold that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    do island expiditions>buy rep tokens with dubloons.
    happy grinding!
    isnt it like 26,000 island expeditions from rev - exal or something completely stupid?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalPenguin View Post
    There are valuable things at revered and exalted though. +15 ilvls for HoA at revered with Champions, rank 3 alch recipes at revered with factions, rank 2 engi battle ress recipe at exalted with zanda, mounts at exalted per faction bar Tortolla.
    The grind for those juicy patters were definitely worth it early, as I made a ton of gold that way.
    the +15 only matters once though right? since all alts get it instantly?

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    isnt it like 26,000 island expeditions from rev - exal or something completely stupid?

the +15 only matters once though right? since all alts get it instantly?
    assuming you get enogh dublons for 1k rep per ~40-50 expeditions, it would take around 1000 runs. Assuming you do them at a pace of 5min/island, it would take 83 hours played. Not factoring in all the rep you get wrong wqs a day here.

the +45 total(+15 from each of friendly/honored/revered) is account wide yes, so if one char has the rep at revered+ you can just go to magni and pick the free ilvls up on alts.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    havnt done the math, but its certainly not a very efficient way to grind rep. but if OP want to grind to exalted in one go, it can be done.

on the plus side, he will get a load of azerite and other stuff in the process.
    Last edited by mojusk; 2019-04-07 at 09:17 AM.

they are referred to as MAU's or DAU's, Monthly/Daily Active Users... the funny thing about a game like wow though, is that when you build it around forcing players to play daily or monthly you end up having the opposite effect, which i know to be true because we're currently experiencing it. if they just made the game really fucking good and focused and making the classes fun to play again they could ignore MAU's or DAU's and those numbers would be there for them organically, because people would want to be online. i think blizzard has gotten that message loud and clear with this expansion for the first time ever, hopefully that translates into some positive changes next expansion or later in this expansion.

when it comes to classes being fun to play they should start with removing all damage/defensive CD's as well as many utility buttons off of the GCD. they have backed up somewhat from their initial stance but they still don't seem to get just how unsatisfying it is to say "OK IM POPPING MY FIRST CD............. OK NOW ANOTHER ONE............... OK NOW I CAN START DOING THINGS!"

it just feels shitty and slow, new players can learn to get better, you shouldnt build it to force good players to play like shit, they are building things like this completely backwards. make the classes fun and difficult and people will flock back to the game, make them all the same, boring, and slow and everyone will leave. hopefully they start to understand this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't they try the whole "There are no real daily quests, and you get exalted rep by farming 10,000 mobs in a single location" thing in Warlords? And everyone reeeally hated it?
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

people like to bitch about anything really nowadays.

i like the req - they give me a reason for example to complete storylines on allience which i wouldnt do if it wasnt for it. rest come passively from playing game. same like it was in legion .

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalPenguin View Post
    assuming you get enogh dublons for 1k rep per ~40-50 expeditions, it would take around 1000 runs. Assuming you do them at a pace of 5min/island, it would take 83 hours played. Not factoring in all the rep you get wrong wqs a day here.
    When i had to do 6 for the weekly to get my Honourbound rep i wanted to stab my own eyes out. 1000 runs? Hell no.