Lightbulb Idea: Redesigning professions using Civilization I as a template

Let's just pull something from another game to redesign professions with...

Civilization!

I remember playing Civilization I back in the 1990s and you had trade routes which were interwoven into the game. In the early game, they didn't matter much. But as you progressed, they became critically important to generate money (bankers), luxuries (Elvises) and tech advancements (scientists). Money was useful to buy stuff of course. Luxuries were important to keep your population happy. And tech advancements helped you keep up with others.

So let's design WoW professions around these principles just for the sake of it & see how it looks.

We'll start with 3 slider bars: one for generating money, one for luxuries, and one for tech advancements

1. generate money

Traditionally, in WoW this meant crafting items and selling them to players. But maybe we could add to this. Let's say you have 95/150 points in your profession. You use your points in your slider bars. So you could push your money slider bar up to 95 and leave the other 2 at zero and maybe it passively generates gold for you. Or maybe it adds a +% to gold drops. Or maybe you establish a trade route with a capital city of the other faction and gold is funneled to you in some way. Maybe some capital cities are better for some professions than others.

2. generate luxuries

Instead of making gold, you can set your luxuries bar to 95 and the other 2 to zero. Maybe this add a +% to all rep gains. Or maybe it gives you a discount rate at some vendors. Maybe faster rested xp gains. Maybe if you dump 150 points in it, and you get a bunch of Elvises running around and NPCs REALLY love you so they give you extra perks like some extra portals or extra flight paths, etc. Maybe there are NPC towns that are hostile unless you have 150 in luxuries.

3. generate tech advancements

Instead of making gold or luxuries, you can dump your points into the tech advancement bar. As long as you have a lot of points stacked here, scientists and researchers help you out and reduce the mats required for recipes. They help generate extra procs. Mats are more likely to drop when you kill things. Maybe some mats ONLY have a chance to drop IF you max this out to 150. Maybe at 150 tech advancements, you get a very small chance to steal tech from NPCs or even players that cannot be obtained any other way.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Professions with Talents Tree???

It is Blizzard not some decent company.

If we're going to base it on Civ 1, I want to change my profession to diplomat so I can automatically win

10+ Year Old Account
    Games like Civ have a lot to offer to a structure like professions in an MMO. The analogy isn't exact but a lot of the mechanics can be adapted.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Games like Civ have a lot to offer to a structure like professions in an MMO. The analogy isn't exact but a lot of the mechanics can be adapted.
    Like what if instead of finding a random node out in the world to mine you instead have a map cut into squares that you can place a camp onto. That camp would be able to work several tiles around its general area, and as you go along you can gain advancements that allow you to find new resources, build more camps, improve camps, and connect camps. Also, you could compete against opponents for the resources, so you would need to construct defenders for your camps and possibly armies to take camps.

Then all of a sudden a barbarian galley would appear out of the one fog on your coast line and destroy all your fishing improvements and make you rage quit.

Professions need to be rolled back to Vanilla/TBC

Unique Patterns hard to farm

Item that lasted for more than 1 m+

Etc etc

But unfortunately people are too used to the washed down system rn just look FelPlague defending every dumb aspect of current wow.

Too late.

Especially I would like to see Class-Unique stuff like Robe of Mage between all crafting profession.

Maybe adding back some epic items with effect, a legendary washed down basically.

Like a epic pattern world drop to craft a pair of boots with some on proc or on use effect for Plate User ( like we're cloudkeeper legs in MC )

And or unique perks like in wrath, the +1 stats problem was just a myth, having 1 stats more isn't like having 3 BiS Traits RN or BiS Leggo in Legion.

Add also Cata(?) Effect like Mining giving bonus HP or Skinning Crit based on Profession Skill.

Talent tree for the profession could be interesting , like reworking the current Star System.
    Every 50/100 Skill Point you gain a Talent Point to be spent in something like

0/5 : Increase your gathering speed ( a la Age of Empires ) 5/5 will make you mining/skinning/gathering herbs at 0.5 speed ( like mops gloves )

Or 0/3 : 3/6/9% to craft a better quality item that can be

Purple instead of Blue quality Gear ( no TF same itm lvl but bigger stats )
    Flask/Pots that give 10% more stats or last longer.
    Chance to proc an enchanting scroll when you enchant a piece of gear ( to control mass crafting )

Or 0/1 : 5% to get more stuff when gather or increase the chance to get rare mats ( a la Blood of Sargeras )