Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I remember Classic dungeons being difficult, but in fact, this was not true.
    Just kidding, that's most about a comparison to the live game and M+.

I hope I don't have any false memories, honestly.
    That's the thing that worries me about this product.
    Nostalgia, and people remembering things that didn't happen or wont be happening the same way again today.

It really feels like this product is built on a dream at times, even though I know thousands of people who play it on private to this day.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    I am kind of bumping this, because I just remembered some things. And with Classic Beta and with what we have seen this is the perfect time to highlight some things we all had totally misinterpreted or forgot.

Shaman Dual Wielding.
    Didn't exist in Vanilla. I honestly didn't know this. I honestly didn't know this at all, it actually makes me feel silly... I played a shaman in TBC and they were dual wielding then, of course I never played Horde in Vanilla so that's probably why.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    My Mandela effect is remembering Warriors being able to Thunderclap in defensive stance--they couldn't in Classic, but it's been a feature for so long that my brain keeps telling me it's a thing in Classic, too.
    Defensive TC arrived a few months into BC - they probably realized warriors can't even hold healaggro in heroic dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Defensive TC arrived a few months into BC - they probably realized warriors can't even hold healaggro in heroic dungeons
    Or so they had something to give longer held threat so they could generate more on the kill target. Even demo shout spam could hold off healers. Although I'm willing to bet many warriors didn't know things like demo shout, bloodrage, etc. generated threat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysth View Post
    Even demo shout spam could hold off healers.
    Not really. Only if you had a LOT of targets and there was not much to heal.
    BC heroics had a lot of small packs with very heavy hitting mobs, healaggro was crazy and you could not delay heals a lot or the tank would have died. Good luck tanking these packs with demo shout.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    One of my biggest memory fails (which was rectified a few months back) was dungeon meeting stones.
    It started when I thought I recalled a godawful attempt at an LFD tool, and I was right!
    Anyone else remember that horrid shit?
    I thought towards the end of Vanilla they actually made them summoning stones, but it wasn't a thing until BC.
    That led me down the rabbit hole of threads on whether or not Classic should have meeting stones.
    Side Note: My opinion is no, it shouldn't. Hoof it, bitches, it's what we all had to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    FYI - SS vs TM existed because of BGs, not prior to it. Back when you had to queue at the BG entrance you might have an hour wait because there were generally only 1-2 AV's at a single time on your realm. So people got bored and would raid Southshore or Tarren Mill in the downtime. This was less common then AB and WSG because the queues were much quicker. On my realm even after they added Battlemasters to the main cities, TM vs SS was still a thing because most people knew it was one of the places you were mostly likely to find max level players of the opposite faction.
    Yeah sorry bro, but we were doing TM vsSS battles long before BGs arrived. You had two opposite faction questing hubs very close to each other. It was happening before BGs not as a result of BGs. They may have incresed teh frequency and notoritiey of the battles, but you are mistaken.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    Yeah shaman items drops on alliance side and pala on horde side. That was pain :P Cant remember when they fix that.
    I thought this too and could have sworn I saw it. But loot tables for Paladin and Shaman Tier sets were restricted to faction until 2.0 prepatch.

Not really. Only if you had a LOT of targets and there was not much to heal.
    BC heroics had a lot of small packs with very heavy hitting mobs, healaggro was crazy and you could not delay heals a lot or the tank would have died. Good luck tanking these packs with demo shout.
    You quite literally could keep aggro off healers with demo. You'd have issues on keeping threat on the target(s) the dps were nuking, if you only spammed demo though. That was often how you picked up a straggler slightly out of melee range that either wasn't cc'd or your tclap missed in order to keep a healer from getting nuked. Only way a healer pulled off was a pally with RF up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    This was an on and off going thing throughout vanilla. My horde guild got several plate-healing drops, mostly after patches, I've heard similar stories happening on ally.
    There were some non set plat and mail healing items in raids, I believe that is what I saw on either side until the prepatch, when loot tables were opened.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neryaf View Post
    Weirdly back then I played both factions and had the opposite opinion: that the Horde was full of edge lord kiddies wanting to be the "bad guys", teabagging low levels they ganked with the orcs and undead, and adults played the boring humans and dwarves faction, RP walking around capital cities all night instead of "playing" the game.

Turns out it's always been pretty 50/50 for general player base.
    Have played both factions as well and experienced the exact same types of players on both sides almost equally. I've heard from both sides that the other is the imature kiddo faction for different reasons, and both sides claiming to be the mature adults of the game. Both are littered with quality mature peoples, and the edgelord, teabaging douches. Nothing has changed sicne day one.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was probably to keep them competitive with Prot paladins, who had been significantly buffed in TBC and soared past warriors thanks to Consecrate being available relatively on-demand for AoE aggro over time.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Meeting stones not actually being able to summon is a big one, might consider rolling a lock now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Meeting stones not actually being able to summon is a big one, might consider rolling a lock now
    I'll be honest, on one level I'm glad they don't. One thing I really hated about dungeons while leveling in BC was trying to get someone else out to the meeting stone for summons. At least this way everyone who wants to do the dungeon will likely be near the stone or at least will ride their asses out with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest, on one level I'm glad they don't. One thing I really hated about dungeons while leveling in BC was trying to get someone else out to the meeting stone for summons. At least this way everyone who wants to do the dungeon will likely be near the stone or at least will ride their asses out with me.
    Everyone having to manually walk into the dungeon themselves hopefully also means that if you wipe they'll know how to get back from the graveyard
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Judging Justice in Vanilla kept mobs from being able to run away, handy in 5 mans sometimes. The seal proc was a stun.
    Judging Justice also normalized run speed of the target (ie. Rogues could not Sprint, Druid travel form was useless, etc)...at least in TBC, not sure about Vanilla.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing that comes to mind.
    Killing low lvl players (grey) would give you dishonorable kill.

I seem to recall a way to change Warlock demon names. I know you cant/couldn’t name them outright, like Hunters. But I thought there was a specific /command that killed the pet, and resummoning it would give it a different name. Of course, summoning your pet the normal way thereafter kept the most recent name given, so once you found a name you liked, you could keep it.

Any confirmation on this?
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    There might have bugs (there were a lot more bugs at the time ) allowing it, but for the most, shaman gear didn't drop in raid for Alliance before the 2.0 patch.
    What might confuse the issue is that it DID drop in dungeons, and these dungeons were commonly ran as raid until they changed them to be 5-man exclusively (or 10-man for BRS).
    Yep. I cannot remember about dungeons but I know for certain that Shaman gear didn't drop in raids until the TBC prepatch (outside of maybe some early bugs of course)

I know simply because I have a very strong memory of doing a Molten Core raid one night and people complained at Shaman tier dropping when it never had before then.
    Speciation Is Gradual

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysth View Post
    You quite literally could keep aggro off healers with demo.
    Maybe it is YOUR Mandela effect?

As I already told you, it was possible, but only in gimmicky situations where LOTS of mobs were present and/or when the healaggro was very low. Demo shout generated a fixed (but pretty small) amount of aggro on each affected mob and healaggro is spread evenly amongst all mobs. Noone had ever tanked healaggro against just a few hardhitting mobs with demo. It's not feasible. I've tanked and healed several hundreds of BC heroics, I know pretty well how it worked. It was an OK method to tag all mobs quickly to avoid losing them to the first renew tick but that's pretty much it.

- - - Updated - - -

It was probably to keep them competitive with Prot paladins
    Well, in this case they've failed. Warrior aoe aggro was not even close to being competitive with paladins. Defensive TC was just enough to counter healaggro most of the time.

Nothing I can think of for vanilla but I could’ve swore that pressing the jump button in tbc made you swim up instead of jump

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, in this case they've failed. Warrior aoe aggro was not even close to being competitive with paladins. Defensive TC was just enough to counter healaggro most of the time.
    While you're right, it went far in helping close the gap, enough that you could justify bringing a warrior along as an offtank/add-tank instead of dedicating them to tanking the boss. That being said, TBC-era prot paladins were another animal entirely thanks to how well Consecrate's area DoT played with Righteous Fury for passive threat generation.