Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

What was the point of hiring Christie Golden?

She was supposed to be the one who salvaged the WoW story moving forward, however the story has arguably gotten much worse and more bland and predictable since her tenure at Blizzard. And she has been there for a while now, so she would more than able to leave her mark on the story by now.

So what was the point of hiring Christie Golden? Do you believe that she has another agenda that she is pushing?

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    She was supposed to be the one who salvaged the WoW story moving forward, however the story has arguably gotten much worse and more bland and predictable since her tenure at Blizzard. And she has been there for a while now, so she would more than able to leave her mark on the story by now.

So what was the point of hiring Christie Golden? Do you believe that she has another agenda that she is pushing?
    She's a massive Alliance fangirl. All she cares about is making the Horde look like giant villains and making Anduin look like the golden boy with impenetrable plot armor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Conspiracy theories? Really?

Take a break from WoW.

The point was to help with the story. That's usually why you hire story writers.

7+ Year Old Account
    She was hired in 2017. Blizzard's plans are supposedly up to 2 expansions (up to 4 years) ahead. At the point she joined, most of (at least early) BfA story was likely already done.

Plus, if I had to take a hint from the crossover from her books and the post-Argus cinematics, I'd suppose her work will be more in that line - writing dialogue/story for the cinematics and such, not being in the forefront of main story development.

If she has any major impact on the story (which we don't know), it'll not be seen before 9.0

I'm pretty sure Golden had nothing to do with WoD and that storyline was still a mess. She just one bad writer in a group of bad writers.
    "Father, is it over? I see only darkness before me."

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    The point was to help with the story. That's usually why you hire story writers.
    No, thats why you hire COMPETENT story writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    No, thats why you hire COMPETENT story writers.
    Pretty sure bad writers get hired at times too. Even so, that distinction is irrelevant to the question. They hired her to help with the story.

I think Blizzard took the whole "diversity and inclusion" thing too seriously and wanted Golden to put out the flames of toxic masculinity within the characters' hearts in the WOW universe.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    No. You are thinking too much and why do you need someone to blame?
    Blizzard said they really hit the jack pot with Christie Golden. I believe them.
    If you've seen her writing, then you're an absolute idiot for believing them. This is the same dumb bitch that gave Genn Greymane A TAIL.

She is famous name from their books. She was once a good writer; she made "Lord of Clans" and so on. The problem is that she have always been very Alliance-aligned and her fanboyism increased over time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    If you've seen her writing, then you're an absolute idiot for believing them. This is the same dumb bitch that gave Genn Greymane A TAIL.
    She also made undead lose limbs when they are hugged.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    But after seeing some of the drivel that she had written in the past, Blizzard would have known that that wasn't going to happen. So it makes you wonder what the real purpose was.

Why must the wow community find someone to pour hate into, hate the game, not the game makers, sheesh.

She's a massive Alliance fangirl. All she cares about is making the Horde look like giant villains and making Anduin look like the golden boy with impenetrable plot armor.
    You do know that she was the one who wrote original Thrall, the story where orcs = good and Blackmoore = THE WORST?

If you actually read her books (and yeh, she's not the best of writers, but good enough to write an interesting book), you knew that she spends a good amount of time with horde heroes like Thrall, Baine and even Sylvanas and Garrosh.

Also, Golden isn't the one who's driving the lore bandwagon, she's writing into whatever direction the lead story developer (Afrasiabi) wants her to. Yes this is a team effort, but he's the captain with veto rights.

The point of hiring her? She's a writer and she knows the characters and universe. She can do the required work while also pushing out a novel every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    Why must the wow community find someone to pour hate into, hate the game, not the game makers, sheesh.
    ???

Who do you think made the game the way it is? The players? lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmeya View Post
    She was hired in 2017. Blizzard's plans are supposedly up to 2 expansions (up to 4 years) ahead. At the point she joined, most of (at least early) BfA story was likely already done.
    Doubt it.

And there are strong indicators that shows that statement is wrong. Example - Blizzard wanted to kill Garrosh in the MOP expansion in the last raid, and they were talking about it a few months(if not weeks?) before the raid. So the whole WoD cinematic/lore wouldn't happen or would be at least heavily changed.

They needed a female writer in the team or else the californias would had burn their HQ.

Now in a more serious note, probably she is bit more decent than most of the writing team and she writes well the alliance but if she didn't have that favoritism with Jaina, Anduin and Humans in general with bending the story and personality of others characters toward then, the story could flesh out some races like gnomes or worgens that aren't see much and be a bit more decent for the alliance in general.

Now we need a new writers who actually loves the horde that can finally put a leader for the darkspear, orcs and tauren, I still can't believe the cores races of wc3 horde are leaderless-
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

It is not as nefarious as you or most people make it sound like. The real problem is that she doesn't understand the fundamental nature of the Warcraft universe and she is incapable of writing a story without a clear "good guys vs bad guys" narrative. If you look at her past writer credits, they are almost entirely of good guy vs bad guy plots. Taking up a responsibility like this is a lot and people have high expectations on top of that, expecting game of thrones level story with multiple points of views and multi character story telling and character development (rightfully so) but she just can't deliver that and like everyone else at blizzard refuses to accept it.

It is not that she is doing a bad job on purpose or she hates the horde etc.. She is literally incapable of writing a nuanced story and on top of this, she is dropped into a lore he wasn't familiar with. She probably didn't do her research and story development going all the way back to WC2 and up to now. I am not even sure if she was aware of the mmo aspect of people playing on both sides of the narrative with heroes on both sides when she first joined the team.. > She saw the alliance vs horde conflict and was great another good vs bad narrative that I can write..

The stories she is telling are not bad, they are just not fitting Warcraft with opposing points of views and multilayered story. You need to realize that for someone who is not invested in the story and tries to read what they right objectively, they are not bad "novels" although you can find all the cheesy novel author tropes in her writing, the plot twists that you can see from space, the mary sue character, the prophesy, the plot armor, the main character that gets more and more powerful reaching godlike at the end, the "it will be revealed on the next chapter" mystery, the obviously evil but you are suppose to not realize it until later guy etc.

I think she said that she hasn't had an important role in BfA's story at all, and that she's mostly written dialogue for cinematics or smth?

A reduction in total toxic masculinity.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.