Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

8.2 content: pointless with current class design

It doesn't matter how many mechagnomes or naga they throw at us, how many dungeons or zones or raids or features they throw at us, all of it is completely pointless if our characters are not fun to play. Not a single word today about class changes planned for 8.2.

If we have a look at the content patches of past expansions like MoP, they offered less raw patch content than the 8.2 patch but the content was enjoyable to repeat because the classes that we were doing the content with were fun and the content itself was fun. Slapping on a few essences and punch cards isn't going to get anywhere near repairing the foundations of these classes. As a result, I anticipate that 8.2 will be another unsuccessful patch. Blizzard has once again focused its resources in all the wrong areas.

I can only hope that Blizzard learns a valuable lesson from how unsuccessful 8.2 will be and really focuses on class design moving forward in 9.0. They need to go back to basics, strip away the Heart of Azeroth, the Azerite traits, the punch cards and all the other gimmicks and get the foundations right. That is the only way that they will win players over at this point.

Nothing really to see here, not even some new things, those salty laddos would complain about.

7+ Year Old Account
    My druid is pretty fun to play.... So is my shaman, priest and rogue.......

I agree, that class design is not top class, but it does not have to be for content to be enjoyable. If it was dogshit, i would agree with you, but it really ain't and if you think so, i believe you have completly outlandish standards.

8.2 will stand on the replayable content that it brings and not upon the changes it brings to class design. Besides, we are getting a new ability with the Heart of Azeroth change, so its not like they are ignoring the current class experience and not adding to it..... So i don't really where you are getting at.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Wow, that subjective opinion on class design really stopped me from getting excited! WTF I'm gonna subscribe to your favorite Twitch streamer now?

I like how the posters above me got hook with a 3minute dispplay on stream about the new CORE SYSTEM of 8.2

Not even PTR out, already got hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    My druid is pretty fun to play.... So is my shaman, priest and rogue.......

I agree, that class design is not top class, but it does not have to be for content to be enjoyable. If it was dogshit, i would agree with you, but it really ain't and if you think so, i believe you have completly outlandish standards.

8.2 will stand on the replayable content that it brings and not upon the changes it brings to class design. Besides, we are getting a new ability with the Heart of Azeroth change, so its not like they are ignoring the current class experience and not adding to it..... So i don't really where you are getting at.
    I dont know what kind of content you’re doing, but it doesnt feel fun to play any of the classes you mentioned compared to how they used to feel in a content filled xpac like MoP. Everything was smooth then, you could tailor the class to play «your way»

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy my current classes so more fun for me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Daikoku View Post
    I like how the posters above me got hook with a 3minute dispplay on stream about the new CORE SYSTEM of 8.2

Not even PTR out, already got hook.
    I already play WoW, and other people not liking classes affects me little. I couldn't care less what other people have to think about classes I enjoy.

I think the class design issue must be somewhat isolated to certain specs. Prot and Arms warrior feels OK, fury is missing a button or 2. Holy Paladin feels OK and has plenty of buttons and things to keep track of but my Elemental shaman feels terrible. The Ele rotation is a far cry from the gambling build at the end of Legion. On my BrM I really only miss the ranged keg smash, WW feels pretty similar to Legion and I haven't played MW much at all TBH.

Just my own opinion but if I think if each spec in an OK state gets another button to press/CD to keep an eye on they'll be in a good spot. This won't be a fix for the specs that don't feel right though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dovay View Post
    I dont know what kind of content you’re doing, but it doesnt feel fun to play any of the classes you mentioned compared to how they used to feel in a content filled xpac like MoP. Everything was smooth then, you could tailor the class to play «your way»
    I get that compared to MoP, the classes are worse now, but there is a big difference between worse and bad. I find them very fun, not as fun as in the past, but still fun. My experience based upon the classes themselfs might be deminished, but the overall gameplay experience is not ruined.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Remember when they said that they will do a class rework in 8.1? I remember. . . . and still waiting.
    Class design takes alot of dev time so i dont think they will do any changes, they would rather take older system add layers of rng on top and give us that.

I get that compared to MoP, the classes are worse now, but there is a big difference between worse and bad. I find them very fun, not as fun as in the past, but still fun. My experience based upon the classes themselfs might be deminished, but the overall gameplay experience is not ruined.
    For me its not as fun due to each class simply not feeling interresting anymore, like removing this and that because its not useful then re-introducing it as a talent or make key rotation abilities into the talent tree. I dont get whats fun about that, also im tirred of them removing abilities, take warriors in pvp as an example, its the worst feeling ever when you cant connect to a target that you could connect to if u knew how to use certain abilities in the past. Oh and the «new» neck thingy, is a way for them to bring back glyphs, that was removed in legion prepatch

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you with this. WoD was a step down in class design to me, but was still very fun so it was fine.

Legion almost systematically gutted everything that I found compelling about my class while simultaneously adding systems that would accelerate burnout. I needed BFA to address my issues with Legion, and instead it doubled down on what I found to be the worst aspects in a worse way.

I genuinely feel that class design today is not just "worse", but its "bad". To the degree where I completely burned out and ultimately ended up quitting the game. It was almost surreal unsubbing from the game having been subbed for so long and honestly believing that I'd be playing this game until the servers were shut down.

I find the class design to genuinely be that bad right now, and I don't see myself picking up the game again unless they make some massive changes on a scale that I simply don't see coming in the next xpac or potentially even the one after that. I never lost the urge to continue playing, there just isn't the game I want to play there anymore.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having quite a lot of fun with Outlaw Rogue, Protection Warrior, Holy Paladin and more..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I never understood how people think mop was the pinnacle of class design, like fuckin hell was it not balanced. Why bring melees when casters can do everythin like 10000x better, everytime i see QQ threads about class design its probably a warlock cryin that he aint top anymore smashin his face on keyboard, spamming instant spells and bein mobile like a melee.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    I never understood how people think mop was the pinnacle of class design, like fuckin hell was it not balanced. Why bring melees when casters can do everythin like 10000x better, everytime i see QQ threads about class design its probably a warlock cryin that he aint top anymore smashin his face on keyboard, spamming instant spells and bein mobile like a melee.
    We're not talking numbers here, that's a completely different ballgame. But how it actually felt to play your class.... Most classes were a hell of a lot more FUN to play in mop (few exceptions, most people didn't like mop Balance Druid for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    We're not talking numbers here, that's a completely different ballgame. But how it actually felt to play your class.... Most classes were a hell of a lot more FUN to play in mop (few exceptions, most people didn't like mop Balance Druid for example).
    But it was not fair at all in mop, ranged were just as mobile as melee and were spammin instant spells left and right, while also having 30y range.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    But it was not fair at all in mop, ranged were just as mobile as melee and were spammin instant spells left and right, while also having 30y range.
    They still spam a lot of instant spells... shit Fire mage today is more mobile then fire mage in mop.

It's still besides the point... I'd take MoP fury over BfA fury any day.

And good lord was MoP demo a lot more fun then "pet management simulator".

While there was a time when I enjoyed the class design better than now(Legion was awesome, TBC and WotLK was decent, even Cata to some extent) there are still several classes/specs I enjoy playing. It is room for improvements on some specs sure, but it is like every other expansion, you like some specs, or you don't. Or hate all :-)

Design isn't the problem. How they allow you to access your class power is. When you have the traits you need, everything really does feel great. There are plenty of my specs are good IMO, and there are some meaningful combinations you could make with traits. If you have the options.

I hate that they're continuing down the path of looting for your complete potential class ability/synergy/power. It's such a fucking flawed system. When you don't have what you want, its awful and not fun. It's pretty clear that this isn't going to change this expansion, looking at these essences.

edit: rofl there's different rarities of the same essence so you can continue the feeling of never being complete and not having the good one.

bring me back to the time where we didn't play for abilities, but with those fun abilities by default for gear and shenanigans.
    Last edited by huehuehue; 2019-04-12 at 12:53 AM.