Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bots are out of control, what are you doing about it?

People are asked to pay a premium for this site to get it without ads and yet you have bots running rampant posting things every day. It doesn't seem to bode well for security concerns honestly.

Why is it a consistent problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    People are asked to pay a premium for this site to get it without ads and yet you have bots running rampant posting things every day. It doesn't seem to bode well for security concerns honestly.

Because it's fairly easy to get around literally any spam filter, and new accounts are easy to make.

Also if you're talking about the BABA black magic, or whatever, Chaud says they're not actually bots

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Because it's fairly easy to get around literally any spam filter, and new accounts are easy to make.

Also if you're talking about the BABA black magic, or whatever, Chaud says they're not actually bots
    Minimum amount of posts needed before you can create a thread yourself. Starting at 100 or so. Problem solved.

Do you have suggestions how to resolve it? Like an actual technical solution?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Minimum amount of posts needed before you can create a thread yourself. Starting at 100 or so. Problem solved.
    There are multiple accounts that create bogus posts already (just spamming 'this post helped me' etc.) to get the postcount up. Not an ideal solution. Also it brings a barrier to people that just don't like to post often but may have very good things to contribute when they feel like it.
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

so they will just write a new algorithm to spam 100 times before they open a topic.. great. That wouldn't solve anything but minimum wait time before you can open a topic and something like a 1 hour CD between topics will be fine..

10+ Year Old Account
    So instead of being easily spotted new threads, they'd be buried in other threads, cool.

Also, a lot of people make accounts specifically for the guild recruitment forums, you want them to spam elsewhere to be allowed to do that?

This thread comes up every time there's a spambot wave, and Chaud gives the same answer each time..

Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    Do you have suggestions how to resolve it? Like an actual technical solution?.
    More than likely not, like every other complaining post on this forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Add kaptcha on new thread creation and 15 minutes cooldown on creation of another thread afterwards.

Not claiming it will magically solve all the issues, but at least we won't get a bloody wall of new shit threads in general every bloody day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post

If they just IP-banned Russia and China, things would be easier. (just kidding, though I imagine a lot of traffic comes from there)

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It is quite easy to put in systems to prevent the wholesale (multi page) garbage that turns up. Not sure why it hasn't been done.

If admins don't want to limit new accounts, then tarpitting accounts and posts is another set of ideas that can work.

In essence when a post is made, you make newish accounts wait a certain period of time (pseudo random) to repost. Any post within that time doubles the next delay.
    You do the same for account creation from a given IP address.

In all cases you don't stop the eventual post or creation, you just slow down bots dramatically. Similar methods were used to stop bots attacking internet services (e.g. SMTP).
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2019-04-12 at 12:20 PM.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Just add a post requirement of about 20-30 before you can post a thread. Many forums already have something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Just add a post requirement of about 20-30 before you can post a thread. Many forums already have something like that.
    "This post helped me a lot"

What stops those kinds of posts? Where they spam random threads with a similar sentence for all of them, even if it's about someone who died?

15+ Year Old Account
    New accounts should have a post count limit AND time gate before they can create threads.

Also, captcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    "This post helped me a lot"

What stops those kinds of posts? Where they spam random threads with a similar sentence for all of them, even if it's about someone who died?
    Yes, it's still possible for bots to spam threads. But there's a big difference between having to post 30 replies before flooding the feed with bot threads, and being able to do so instantly.

So your solution to bots making spam threads is... require them to spam post in every thread they can find to be able to make spam threads? Doesn't sound helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    Do you have suggestions how to resolve it? Like an actual technical solution?
    Two really simple ones that legitimate users wouldn't mind.

CAPTCHA
    Requiring a profile field/few profile fields to be filled out.

There's a few others but increases friction for users and staff.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Two really simple ones that legitimate users wouldn't mind.

CAPTCHA
    Requiring a profile field/few profile fields to be filled out.

There's a few others but increases friction for users and staff.
    Speak for yourself. I would be greatly annoyed by those.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Honestly, if you are on the internet this much and cannot tell the difference or do not have a proper anti-virus that is on you.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    civfanatics.com isn't too bad. Captcha, and two easy fields to put the answers into, and it's very simple, but not 'bot-simple' unless it's written specifically for that site.

(i.e. one field the instructions are to put 'OK' in the field, and the other one is put a specific letter from the word Civilization in the field. Not sure if it changes which letter to ask for each time.)
    I know how it works. would still rather not have it. The threads aren't really an issue to me. They are generally cleaned up within an hour or 2.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Speak for yourself. I would be greatly annoyed by those.
    The good news is that with 17k posts, you would have already passed the captcha, and filled out the profile field(s). This was meant on account registration.

I agree with your post above this however, I don't know why anyone cares about the bot posts.