Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Quick ! Take a wild guess about what were the reactions over the first black hole....

quick, uhh oh um.. Banana?

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I think its cool that a woman created the program/algorithm, etc, to combine the data to create the image of the black hole. I am not sure why thats so surprising, or why people are freaking out about it...

Historically women have actually been the first to find a lot of different astronomical things:

Star-Gazing Women Made Trail-Blazing Discoveries
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ars-astronomy/
    I think the issue people are taking offence with is that she only wrote 50,000 lines of code not the rest of the 850,000 and you have to really search for the guy's name who did that...

I think people are just tired of people being prompted up who while they helped were not the driving force behind it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the internet remains the internet?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

the only worth while conspiracy theory around the black hole pic is they stole it from Dark Souls.

"It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

She created the algorithm, which serves as the catalyst to launch this discovery. For that, she gets the credit she deserves. I don't think many are placating that bit.

What the hell is "MR. OBVIOUS" youtuber is attempting to scale here is a different story? Since I won't bother with watching it (feels like it'd be a stretched truth video), I can only imagine what he is allocating to the credence of finding this discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I guess it depends on how important the lines she wrote were? I don't know enough to comment, I saw the headline (that a women discovered it) though "that's nice" and went on with my life... *shrug*
    More or less my reaction to it just on a more... admittedly slanted source. I can get the announce it grows tiresome to have anything done by a woman or minority hailed as something incredible. (My favorite was the clock boy who pretended it was a bomb to scare people and got all that money).

I don't really pay attention to it anymore but I get why it would annoy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraka View Post
    She created the algorithm, which serves as the catalyst to launch this discovery. For that, she gets the credit she deserves. I don't think many are placating that bit.

What the hell is "MR. OBVIOUS" youtuber is attempting to scale here is a different story? Since I won't bother with watching it (feels like it'd be a stretched truth video), I can only imagine what he is allocating to the credence of finding this discovery.
    >she created 6% of the algorithm

Ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    I think the issue people are taking offence with is that she only wrote 50,000 lines of code not the rest of the 850,000 and you have to really search for the guy's name who did that...

I think people are just tired of people being prompted up who while they helped were not the driving force behind it.
    As the fracking line shows, you took bait and sinker an agitprop line, since the program have 68 000 lines...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    >she created 6% of the algorithm

Ftfy
    Ah yes, the ''true hard fakts'' of MRA, who can't even get the correct number of lines...

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    As the fracking line shows, you took bait and sinker an agitprop line, since the program have 68 000 lines...

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes, the ''true hard fakts'' of MRA, who can't even get the correct number of lines...
    Yes the program she made has that... I don't get why you think im debating that.

That's what you get now a days. The media is so quick to give credit to anyone who fits their agenda, regardless of contributions to it, that people are just tired of it. Add to it the significance of a black hole, and the fact that over 200 scientists from around the world made this possible, and its easy to see why a lot of people are like "wtf is going on here?"

When you look at it, she didn't create most of the code. She wasn't the leader. So it is very easy to see where the people are coming from. Personally, I agree. Everyone should be credited. Even those who did more work then she did in this. I don't think anyone one person should be getting so much credit for such a massive and lengthy undertaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhh...

Yawn?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quick ! Take a wild guess about what were the reactions over the first black hole....
    Lewds. Lots and lots of lewds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a woman, Sara Issaoun, also from the project who says her algorithm wasn't used at all.

https://twitter.com/SaraIssaoun/stat...04522660519936

Oh and here's the coordinator for the project, Kazu Akiyama, pointing out all of the inaccurate reporting from the media regarding this woman, while still defending her contributions to the project.

https://twitter.com/sparse_k/status/1116785802367918080

What a bunch of beta neckbeard incel misogynist sexist racist white males, am I right?

Can't read topic, paywalled.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Here's a woman, Sara Issaoun, also from the project who says her algorithm wasn't used at all.

Oh and here's the coordinator for the project, Kazu Akiyama, pointing out all of the inaccurate reporting from the media regarding this woman, while still defending her contributions to the project.

What a bunch of beta neckbeard incel misogynist sexist racist white males, am I right?

stop it. You're just a conspiracy theorist for not buying into the meme-tier idea that a single person who looks about 25 created the algorithm that generated the first image of a black hole.

Like 6 different countries worked on this, let alone 6 people. There were probably 100-200 people+ that worked on this project and on the algorithm in particular, probably 15+

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

Again, it's pretty telling that because someone said ''850 000 lines'' on a MRA sites, the usual suspects gobbled that line, completely, without even blinking, and repeated it like slaves. It shows their degree of independent thought.

I actually saw this kinda thread already, people were posting how humble the actual woman is.

This is just another media backlash, focusing on one person instead of the team.

You are also too bright and too intelligent to notice that ''dah ebiill'' MSM did not said she was the head of the project. Your handlers snapped their fingers and told you the media did, and you believe them

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    A huge team made of men and women should have the credits for this picture, not just 1 person (which happens to be a woman). This is the basic of the basic of teamwork.