Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Gymnast wants people to stop sharing injury video

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8866226.html Short snippet from this article:

A college gymnast who broke both her legs during a competition has asked people to stop circulating the video of her injury.

Samantha Cerio, a senior at Auburn University, addressed the viral video on Twitter, where she lashed out at those who have continued to upload it and tag her.

“Those of you posting and tagging me in the video of my injury, I am asking you to please stop,” she wrote.

“Going through the pain and seeing my knees bent unnaturally in real life was horrible enough, but to continue to see it from videos/pictures because some people feel entitled to repost is not okay.

“I have family, friends, and teammates who do not need to see me getting injured over and over again. My pain is not your entertainment.”
    Now, I think this brings up a topic that has some pretty big discussion points. Namely, does anyone who is participating in a sport that is televised really have the right to tell people not to share any videos or footage from the event?

I can see her point of view of not wanting to rewatch her injury over and over, nor being reminded of it. I can also see the point that realistically, she can't really expect it to vanish since what she was doing was broadcast on such a wide level. Add to that that once its on the internet, basically nothing will ever leave. Its a case of putting themselves into the spot light but not liking the results.

What do you think? Should people be expected to just stop re-uploading the video, or any like it for that matter? Are they entitled for spreading it? Is she, or someone in a similar position, feeling entitled for expecting privacy from something that is a very public affair?
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

It sucks for her but people aren't going to stop posting it, pointless to ask. She had the REVERSE effect, had she not asked, this would not have been posted, and I would never have looked it up.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Now, I think this brings up a topic that has some pretty big discussion points. Namely, does anyone who is participating in a sport that is televised really have the right to tell people not to share any videos or footage from the event?
    Now, I think this brings up a topic that has some pretty big discussion points. Namely, do people no longer have empathy enough to respect the wishes of those in pain?

Seriously, who cares about who has the right to do whatever. The person of interest in this has requested that people stop. There is nothing in that video that is suppression of information or other general public concern. I see no reason not to honor her wishes.

I went to college with Willis McGahee, who had his knee basically bent in reverse. I remember, every time he did something awesome in the nfl, they'd replay the clip of his leg begin broken, and I imagined that must've been uncomfortable to see, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Now, I think this brings up a topic that has some pretty big discussion points. Namely, do people no longer have empathy enough to respect the wishes of those in pain?

Seriously, who cares about who has the right to do whatever. The person of interest in this has requested that people stop. There is nothing in that video that is suppression of information or other general public concern. I see no reason not to honor her wishes.
    This isn't a cell phone video someone uploaded, it was televised. If she had won, I'm sure she'd be happy people were sharing.

Televised events are fair game, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    The thing is, it was televised and then uploaded. How does one expect the entire world to just ignore something? I think its a bit egotistical to think that. It isn't even just with her though, its any televised sport or event. To have it broadcast to millions and then suddenly say "yeah, I don't like what happened. So stop viewing it and uploading it" is just unrealistic. Suddenly, we could see sports teams saying the same thing "don't upload game footage or the score so our opponents can't watch how we perform over and over".

As for nothing about it being important. I could see coaches and analysts using it to teach how to ensure you stick a better landing. Could even be used to educate about proper mat placement or form.

That's why this is an even bigger issue then just her. Where does the line get drawn? Who gets to say stop uploading? How would they enforce that? What repercussions do they believe could come from people still uploading it?

Honestly, as bad as it is, I just don't think she can say to stop sharing it, and expect it to happen. It was televised. If anything, it would have to come down to the ones who own the rights to the footage rather then her before anything could really be enforced.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Didn't even know about it.

Thanks, searching and sharing it now.

Watched the video and that looks horrendous.

Who cares though? She needs to get over it.

If she doesn't want to be tagged and thus constantly reminded of it that's fair enough, but she has no say whether people share it.

Also, for her own sanity she should look into squelching any notifications she gets for being tagged. That's on her to control.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    Didn't even know about it.

Thanks, searching and sharing it now.
    The edge, you can practically smell the trenchcoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    No. Unless it breaks some copyright/trademark or licensing/rights issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    And now everyone wants to see the video

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Not gonna lie googled the video the moment i read the OP. Looks painful.

Yeah I looked it up too, wish I had not.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

10+ Year Old Account
    She could always, idk, not watch the video. It's not like people are forcing her eyes open to sit through the video. You can always just not hit play or pause the video if it autoplays somewhere...

15+ Year Old Account
    I don’t think she can prevent it now, but I do think part of the request IS reasonable. She asked that people stop tagging her as they repost it. I say if you really want to watch it, fine. Just stop with the tagging her name and it wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I understand her feelings, pain has been the ultimate form of entertainment for thousands of years.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Counterpoint: No, and have a funny video

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was a televised event, so I’m doubtful even YouTube will take it off
    if anything this will cause the usual crowd to harass her even more by adding sound effects/visual edits to the video.
    And ouch just took a look at the video, reminds me of that French guy who broke his leg during the Olympics.

I think we need a picture to be sure