Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Respawn has great multiplayer games under their belt. Will they do a good job in making a challenging, progressive adventure game with a good story?
    Titanfall 2's singleplayer campaign is pretty widely regarded as 'really good'.

15+ Year Old Account
    Then it will be the first Star Wars game I have purchased since KOTORs.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rs-game-ragtag

has this been linked yet? sorry if it was, but I thought this was a fascinating read. I also find it interesting that the game is built in Unreal 4 (its a good sign to be honest) rather then Frostbite

as for plot, while it may not have a traditional happy ending... consider for a moment Ahsoka. and heck even Obi Wan and Yoda. they have survived in hiding despite order 66, its not unreasonable to expect other jedi to have survived initial order and then keep surviving in hiding, contributing to rebellion in some ways. I mean.... Rogue one has someone who is "not jedi" but might as well be given all that he does (Chirrut)

protagonist of this game doesn't need to die at the end of the game, unless that game spans decades.

The game was in development well before EA acquired Respawn and they let Respawn continue to choose their own engines (granted prior to acquisition, but Source for TF1/2 and no UE4 for this). They could potentially have ported work over to Frostbite, but it sounds like it reinforces EA's line that they never require developers to use Frostbite. They push it, but it's not mandatory.

hhmm... that's another thing i wonder about. because EA seems to be changing their stances on a few things recently, how much of that reassurance about not being forced - was PR rather then genuine? how strongly are EA companies nudged and pushed in frostbite direction?

/shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    hhmm... that's another thing i wonder about. because EA seems to be changing their stances on a few things recently, how much of that reassurance about not being forced - was PR rather then genuine? how strongly are EA companies nudged and pushed in frostbite direction?

/shrug.
    It's probably more of "it's optional but if your game doesn't meet sales expectations we will hold it against you" type deal. Highly doubt all their sports devs and Bioware would have swapped over if it was truly 100% optional.(cause lets be honest Unreal is better documented and has more help/knowledge in the US for development then a publisher exclusive engine made in Sweden). More like "optional" if we're being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's probably more of "it's optional but if your game doesn't meet sales expectations we will hold it against you" type deal. Highly doubt all their sports devs and Bioware would have swapped over if it was truly 100% optional. More like "optional" if we're being honest.
    IIRC the licensing fee for an engine would come out of the development budget, which is a pretty good incentive alone.

It's "optional" as you say in that EA likely strongly incentivizes its use, but at the end of the day it's still truly optional. And if it's as much of a nightmare to work with as some repeatedly say, I imagine that missing out on the "perks" that come with using it may be worth swapping to UE4 or another engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    IIRC the licensing fee for an engine would come out of the development budget, which is a pretty good incentive alone.

It's "optional" as you say in that EA likely strongly incentivizes its use, but at the end of the day it's still truly optional. And if it's as much of a nightmare to work with as some repeatedly say, I imagine that missing out on the "perks" that come with using it may be worth swapping to UE4 or another engine.
    The licensing fees are non existent when you consider the amount of developers in the US that are already well versed with Unreal vs having to literally train them on frostbite.

The year Madden switched over to frostbite it literally got no new features at all but slightly prettier graphics. Because it literally took the entire dev cycle just to port the game over.

It's more of an EA being EA for the sake of it, much like Square used to be with their proprietary engines and Ubisoft is as well. Do you think it takes 1000 people to make an AC game in Unreal? Highly unlikely. These companies literally spend more money using proprietary shit in the end. There is a reason Japan as a whole has swapped over to Unreal and pretty much every AAA dev in the US not attached to either Sony, EA or Ubisoft is also using Unreal.

The only companies actually getting it right and getting good results with proprietary engines are Sony, Nintendo, CDPR, Rockstar and Capcom. Every other one seems like more of a hindrance then a help. Even then a lot of these companies I just listed still use Unreal for certain projects.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-04-16 at 07:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The game was launched on November 10th.

Did you or did you not read anything I linked to you?

Do you or do you not understand the final release date for the "pleb only $60 version" is not the only release date the game had?

Still not eating that crow huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea, so you unlocked them all before December 4th, when the game was playable on Nov 10th all when the math showed at that time it was 40 hours per hero. Sure thing dude. Keep digging this hole if you wish and people will keep laughing at you for it.
    Early Access is never considered the 'launch' of a game. Never. A game is 'launched' when its hit normal retail. I know we want to move goalpost to appear right but you're wrong. Early access to a select group of people in any market, any industry, in not considered 'launch'.

The article you linked says plain as day, which I can attest to because I bought the game on NOV 17 WHEN IT LAUNCHED, that it was impossible to use MTs high-end stuff in the game. That was before for Nov 17 when they completly removed MTs.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Early Access is never considered the 'launch' of a game. Never. A game is 'launched' when its hit normal retail. I know we want to move goalpost to appear right but you're wrong. Early access to a select group of people in any market, any industry, in not considered 'launch'.
    That's garbage. If they're selling "early access" via preorders, the game is launched. The second that general consumers have legal access to the game (not including retailers selling it weeks before launch or something), it's out.

The "but it's early access!" is a bullshit excuse. If there's some seriously nasty shit going on days before launch, it will be going on at launch too. Anthem was a good example of that, with the issues occurring during early access carrying through to launch.

And yes, folks in the industry know that it's functionally "launch" too. They know it's just a marketing song and dance to push preorders and little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    From the sound of it they won't be making games, the division is mostly set up to manage the IP for other licensed titles?
    thats a shame, though tbh with the track record from disney for terrible storylines i dont think they would have done much better, maby less micro transactions.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    We might not be getting a game, but Kathleen Kennedy revealed a Kotor movie is in the works.
    As much as I want a KotOR Movie, I would much rather it once the Kathleen Kennedy phase of Disney ends. She's a literal cancer on the Franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    A game is 'launched' when its hit normal retail.
    So you mean like the Deluxe Editions that where sold at "normal retail" on the 14th a whole 3 days before the MTX where turned off?

Sorry even with your goal post shift, you still failed to even make sense. The full game of battlefront 2 was playable and launched on 3 seperate dates depending on your subscription and which version you bought. 2 of those dates where before the MTX where turned off. Time to chomp down on that crow mate.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I know why lightsaber combat is made cinematic for the camera, but in my mind that makes no sense. You got a laser sword that weights nothing (= fast attack speed) and cuts through anything. Stop wasting time with elaborate flourishes and be aggressive with it, you dimwit.

And yes, I realize I'm arguing the logistics of a laser sword used by space warrior monks in a fairy tale, but a new take on Star Wars combat would be for someone who is less skilled than usual with a Lightsaber but a lot more brutal and pragmatic about his business with it. Maybe because he wasn't trained by a Jedi or something.
    Lightsabers can´t cut trough everything though, we had weapons back in KotOR which were able to withstand them so your point is moot. And even in the movies they had resistance cutting trough metal if it was thick enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rs-game-ragtag

has this been linked yet? sorry if it was, but I thought this was a fascinating read. I also find it interesting that the game is built in Unreal 4 (its a good sign to be honest) rather then Frostbite

as for plot, while it may not have a traditional happy ending... consider for a moment Ahsoka. and heck even Obi Wan and Yoda. they have survived in hiding despite order 66, its not unreasonable to expect other jedi to have survived initial order and then keep surviving in hiding, contributing to rebellion in some ways. I mean.... Rogue one has someone who is "not jedi" but might as well be given all that he does (Chirrut)

protagonist of this game doesn't need to die at the end of the game, unless that game spans decades.
    The Force unleashed also had Kotha? the blind jedi who helped starkiller so they could go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
    Yeah well the difference is im supporting these games because I'm enjoying these games I don't give a damn if bob mcsnowflake see's micro transactions and instantly shits himself because he has no self control fuck him I dont care.

I have very low tolerance for people in general so telling me what I can and can't do because you feel it affects you doesn't faze me in the slightest.
    for someone who doesnt care youre quite touchy about it.
    you said youre pre-ordering from a scam company like EA, so youre ridiculed - rightfully so - for being stupid

pre-ordering IS just bad for the industry and customers in general, and thats a fact not an opinion.
    its because of useful morons like you greedy companies get away with releasing shitty bugged, unfinished products.

myself i never buy single player games on release as theyre often bugged/unfinished and overpriced.

People have strong opinions on preordering/prepurchasing. That's fine, I totally get why the practice is abhorrent to some. I also get why it's favoured by the industry.

I don't personally have any strong feelings one way or the other. I usually don't prepurchase because I tend to wait months or even years before I get around to playing games anyway, and by then they tend to be much cheaper, heavily discounted and/or ships with all DLC for a complete experience.

That said, I do prepurchase some games of specific franchises if initial trailers catch my interest. Hell, I prepurchased Mass Effect: Andromeda, and because I didn't play the game until all the major issues were fixed anyway I had great fun with the game making it well worth the money I spent.

Darksiders 3 is another game I "recently" prepurchased, and despite the game initially releasing exclusively with souls-like combat, I waited a bit until the developers patched in a classic combat mode more familiar to the previous games in the series and once again I found myself enjoying the game.

Frankly I don't remember the last time I prepurchased a game and regretted the decision. Even Wildstar and Elder Scrolls: Online were games where I enjoyed them enough for it to be worth the money to me.

As for Jedi Fallen Order? While I generally like the Star Wars franchise and especially the Clone Wars era, there's rumors of Sekiro style of combat so I'll be waiting to see some gameplay. Even then this is a very unlikely prepurchase for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    So no game play yet? Why the fuck should anyone care about this game?

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Beause this was an announcement for Star Wars celebration. Stupid to show gameplay or more when E3 is coming up. This was to build hype for E3

10+ Year Old Account
    Just realised the main lead already looks like Anduin lol. Hope he has more personality than him haha.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Its a single player star wars game, thats enough.