10+ Year Old Account
    Is it me or is there a very limited game lineup for PSVR? Basically pretty much only Horizon and Resident Evil 8.

I would definitely consider it if there's a steam conpatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Is it me or is there a very limited game lineup for PSVR? Basically pretty much only Horizon and Resident Evil 8.

If you mean brand new games then yeah it's just those and Gran Turismo I think but they got 30 games lined up for launch which is pretty solid even if they aren't new.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/01...neup-revealed/

- - - Updated - - -

Been seeing people on Twitter complaning about the dialog in this clip from Forspoken.

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/statu...AiFCWZq1Q&s=19

Honestly I don't get the issue. It's not great dialog but it makes sense given the context. I really don't know what people were expecting given the games premise.

At any rate I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Everyone is primed to hate on the dialogue after memeing on that bad video Squenix put out a while back, which included some of that dialogue in it. Gonna be everyone acting like every decent-but-not-amazing line is actually somehow hilariously bad or some shit for a while.

It just looks like a completely meh open world game which is exactly what I would expect from the team that made XV. The dialogue would be the least of my concerns, falling asleep doing copy pasted checklist open world shit is where this game loses my interest. The only games I can even tolerate that shit in anymore is the spiderman games because the city movement never gets old.

There's 30'ish on launch and 80+ announced.

I preordered but may cancel, for that exact reason. I need one killer app here. I ordered the Horizon bundle, but really would just love to play Astrobot. I really wish it was at least BC with some of the games from last gen that I didn't play(but I had and still have PSVR, and move(and oculus rift actually), so I don't know why I think a new one of these will make me play VR.

If I know for sure Alyx was coming, I'd keep my preorder.

What are the chances they will remake astrobot rescue mission to work with psvr2?
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-01-23 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It just looks like a completely meh open world game which is exactly what I would expect from the team that made XV. The dialogue would be the least of my concerns, falling asleep doing copy pasted checklist open world shit is where this game loses my interest. The only games I can even tolerate that shit in anymore is the spiderman games because the city movement never gets old.
    Apparently movement is kinda fun but yeah, game is market bin material.

I'm super hyped for Dead Space though.

Easy Allies gave it an 8 so that's all I need to know. Gonna check out the PC version but if it does turn out to be a technical mess I'll just refund it and maybe get it on PS5 or just wait. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Easy Allies gave it an 8 so that's all I need to know. Gonna check out the PC version but if it does turn out to be a technical mess I'll just refund it and maybe get it on PS5 or just wait. We'll see what happens.
    Uh...if you've seen those PC reqs I'd hang tight until the Digital Foundry breakdown or at least some proper PC reviews. Because based on the specs, it seems like the game is going to be rough.

But otherwise I'm largely kinda more interested in it now than I was before it was getting hammered in reviews. Like, I want to play and experience this and try to figure out how it all happened. At least the parkour is apparently rad as fuck consistently, even if you can't do it in the city for what I assume are technical limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Uh...if you've seen those PC reqs I'd hang tight until the Digital Foundry breakdown or at least some proper PC reviews. Because based on the specs, it seems like the game is going to be rough.

But otherwise I'm largely kinda more interested in it now than I was before it was getting hammered in reviews. Like, I want to play and experience this and try to figure out how it all happened. At least the parkour is apparently rad as fuck consistently, even if you can't do it in the city for what I assume are technical limitations.
    I thought it was coming out tonight but it actually releases tomorrow morning so we'll see what people find out between then and when I get off work.

Easy Allies giving something an 8 is basically 1/3 on the 3 point scale they use. I actually love them since the gametrailers days but giving harsh reviews is not something they do. They should go back to the 5 point reviews because the current 10 scale they use is so bad, never seen them give a game below a 7 so them saying this game is 1 point better than the worst games they ever reviewed is well... uh...

Only thing that looks remotely interesting about this game upon all the coverage today is it's giving me some nice nostalgia of the early 360/PS3 days. Random dated graphics mixed with modern, cheesey as hell voice acting and some janky ass action combat. It really feels like an early PS3 game trying to fit in with current games which is a little interesting on it's own. Will probably get it when it enters the bargain bin and have a decent enough time with it just as a trip down memory lane back to that jank.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-01-24 at 01:32 AM.

From what I've heard of the game from people who have actually played the game and aren't critics this seems like the kind of game I would enjoy. Even based on reviews it seems pretty evenly split between negative a positive reviews, heck the metacritic score would probably be 70+ if not for the 3 guys throwing out 4/10 reviews.

But as it stands I'm mostly interested in the PC version to try out on my new PC so hopefully, we hear some good things while I'm at work tomorrow.

Though just to be clear I'll be satisfied with 1080P 60fps and mostly high settings.

- - - Updated - - -

It's weird how much people are mocking the dialogue but I've yet to see anything all that bad. Then you have clips like this one that get a genuine chuckle out of me: https://twitter.com/BlondeNerd/statu...3bcr182-g&s=19.

It's like people don't understand that this is a fish out of water story that isn't supposed to take itself 100% seriously.

It's weird how much people are mocking the dialogue but I've yet to see anything all that bad. Then you have clips like this one that get a genuine chuckle out of me: https://twitter.com/BlondeNerd/statu...3bcr182-g&s=19.

It's like people don't understand that this is a fish out of water story that isn't supposed to take itself 100% seriously.
    That got a genuine chuckle out of me. Whoever did her VO didn't always have great material to work with from the sound of it, but when she had a morsel to work with she nails it.

I've seen it compared to an isekai story (though as a bad one) and that kinda like, does make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That got a genuine chuckle out of me. Whoever did her VO didn't always have great material to work with from the sound of it, but when she had a morsel to work with she nails it.

I've seen it compared to an isekai story (though as a bad one) and that kinda like, does make sense.
    Well, it literally is Isekai. The main character is a person from our world who gets transported to a fantasy world. The only difference is she doesn't just blindly accept everything that happens to her.

Nah I'm pretty sure it's trying to take itself serious and just failing at it. Nothing about the game is marketed like a Bayonetta, it's all serious talk trying to target the people who like playing western open world games. This is what you get when you match western writers with Japanese design, a train wreck, one that is mildly entertaining at points but not for the reasons intended.

The VA herself is not an issue, the dialogue writing and design of the game are at odds with each other is the issue lmao.

You're jumping through massive hoops to defend enjoying what is the b tier straight to dvd early 2000s film equivalent in gaming when enjoying it is fine but most are not going to think it's good for the intended purposes. Square Enix is trying to take the game very seriously, I don't see any "CHAOS" trailers for this game or marketing like strangers of paradise which is an actual example of something that is bad, knows it's bad and is marketed to be that.

5 writers and 2 directors, this is an example of why you don't need that many cooks in the kitchen. Especially when a bunch of them are so separated from the dev team they should have nothing to do with the game at all. This game actually has cult classic potential like a lolipop chainsaw only for reasons not intended unlike with the latter.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-01-24 at 07:13 AM.

Apparently a PC demo will be available at launch. So good news for people concerned with what performance will be like. Will be interesting to see how well the demo lines up with the retail game though, I remember FF15 demo performing worse than retail or at least that's what I remember people claiming.

From what I've heard of the game from people who have actually played the game and aren't critics this seems like the kind of game I would enjoy. Even based on reviews it seems pretty evenly split between negative a positive reviews, heck the metacritic score would probably be 70+ if not for the 3 guys throwing out 4/10 reviews.

I kid, but yeah. There is a much better meme than the one above that I can't find made by someone at neogaf that actually breaks it out from 8.5 all the way up to 9.6, .1 by .1 points.

It's hard to blame gamers for this. For years, top reviewers would give games 8.9 instead of 9 to send this message. AAA online used to mean 9.0 or higher average review decades ago, now it means top production values and isn't really related to quality at all. We may have pioneered the currently review scale for games, but we can't be blamed for it. We learned it from watching gamespot.

Maybe we can blame us, because we fought for decades against aggregates mattering at all, when we should have been fighting for which aggregates matter. Just a guess, the review scale became like this because we want to feel good about our games we buy or create, and a 7.0 hits a lot less hard than a 5.0 for a publisher or a gamer. I don't think other mediums have this issue.

Of course, it could just mean that even "bad" games can pretty good and much better than no games, lol. I certainly can't say the same for books, music, or movies(a bad book, in particular, is a horrible, long lasting experience)...but maybe it's just because I like games more and am not forced to finish them, lol.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-01-24 at 08:53 PM.

Isn't it just personal opinion? A game gets a 9 but to me it feels like a 7. That's not really an issue with review scores it's just a difference of opinion.

People take review scores too seriously. At the end of the day you need to just form your own opinion.

Most people aren't going to throw away $70 to "form their own opinion" on a game that by all accounts gets meh reviews across the board, with some really bad reviews and some good reviews being outliers.

Reviews are absolutely important.

The NPD guy has even talked about how review scores impact sales of a game. Unless a game is CoD or Sports franchises it's probably going to bomb unless it gets solid reviews. That's just reality, you should be taking them seriously.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-01-24 at 09:01 PM.