I look at it like this. If you didn't buy a PS4, you missed out. IMHO. I would even argue the same thing about the Switch, especially if you missed the Wii-U.

If you are looking for a Sony console now, it should be the PS5. The PS4 wouldn't be a terrible purchase though if you were low of funds, perhaps, but it's kinda like buying and older generation video card. Try not to buy stuff that is already obsolete.

Sony and Nintendo are corporations....that have literally made my entire life better by existing. I've bought their stuff since this stuff even came out. It's not like I don't know what I'm getting into. Also, price is reasonable for the hardware, imo. I'm actually 100% good with all the consoles now except perhaps the XSS which I think it a bit overvalued for its hardware it has. I think local hardware is in the best spot it has ever been in.

As for a direct reason, I loved Demon's Souls, I've loved BC and qol improvements. So far, the biggest single improvement I've enjoyed is the next gen patch for Borderlands 3. It's got me hyped to try the Destiny 2 upgrade. The difference between playing BL3 on my PS4 Pro with internal SSD vs playing it now on PS5 is night and day. Eventually, I'd like to try out 120fps mode on my CX for Nioh 2, but I'm really i no rush. Currently playing Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury on Switch and wow is that game great.

<removed all my console war theories, lol>
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-03-15 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    First of all you definitely cherry picked a game that doesn't benefit as much, because I've seen games like AC: Valhalla that loads like a 30 seconds to a minute faster.
    The PS5 took 10 seconds while a PS4 Slim with a SSD took nearly 14 seconds. The PS4 Pro with a HDD took 30 seconds to load. No cherry picking here sir.

Additionally, newer games made with the SSD in mind will be able to take greater advantage of them and the load times overall will be greatly reduced. The load times in Spiderman and Demon's Souls are very fast as an example.
    Boasters and boys with weak self images love to have potential because potential is a value that doesn't have to be proven. Oh you have the potential to load instantly. You have the potential to out perform a $2k PC. You have the potential to remove loading times. Potential is great because you can play Minecraft all day and never have to cash it in. You won't cash it in. You won't cash in your potential. I mean what happens if you posted up against a PS4 with a SSD and bench marked that loading time only to find you're losing to your dads PS4. What is potential? Potential is wasted energy. I love regular car reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I look at it like this. If you didn't buy a PS4, you missed out. IMHO. I would even argue the same thing about the Switch, especially if you missed the Wii-U.
    PC users with emulators.
    If you are looking for a Sony console now, it should be the PS5. The PS4 wouldn't be a terrible purchase though if you were low of funds, perhaps, but it's kinda like buying and older generation video card. Try not to buy stuff that is already obsolete.
    With the current climate of financial uncertainty, I wouldn't be against anyone buying a PS4 or even a 7 year old graphics card. The truth is a lot of games will still be released for the PS4 and Xbox One, just because the user base is far larger than the PS5 and Xbox Series. The difference here is that Sony is not going to make any attempt to release new games on the PS4, while Microsoft will for the time being. You can't fault people to avoid buying new consoles when they're about the same price as a used car, unless you're lucky and you're about to click buy before a bot does.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Just how things works Edge.
    Damn yo, I didn't know you were on the dev team that built the PS5 and/or the team that built the Demon Souls remake.

Exactly. See Cattleya gets it. It runs like crap but there is a port. Like it or not but that's how a lot of people are experiencing Cyberpunk.
    I mean, if you're on team, "More garbage, barely playable releases like Cyberpunk on last-gen!" then that's cool and all, but I think you'll be pretty lonely on that team. It's also not really proof that other games could easily be ported back...especially since they couldn't even get this game, which was announced for last-gen consoles almost a decade ago, to run on last-gen consoles in an acceptable way.

Also load times are cool and all, but that's not the biggest thing delivered with the SSD yo. Yeah, SSD's load fast and that's a great benefit, and it helps with any game with loading screens. But the difference is that having it as part of the "default" hardware package means developers can design games around that SSD for faster data streaming and less of a need to use load screens.

Think of the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor/War, whichever was the cross-gen release. That didn't have the Nemesis system in last-gen (PS3/X360) because the hardware simply couldn't run it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You should know by now that he's only in this thread to do his best at shitting on the PS5/Sony. He said several times he doesn't care about consoles, for a start. PC Master Race and all that.
    Believe what you wanna believe but in the end I'm always correct. I don't care for consoles but that's because I'm pro consumer. If a game can run on the PS4 then I don't see a reason why not to have a game run on the PS4, including DLC. I'm not against console users from getting games, because how else would they know the superiority of the PC if they first don't see the terribleness that is the console? I also don't want to go to console levels of exclusivity because I want you to buy this particular piece of hardware. I am very pro porting of games. Especially during a pandemic where people are stuck home and lost their jobs and now seek ways to entertain themselves. Microsoft tried to double the price of Xbox Live Gold, with Sony increasing the cost of games to $70, and scalpers buying up hardware to resell it for a massive profit. People who choose to continue to use old hardware should not be punished for it, considering all the things going on right now in the gaming industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Oops, stopped reading here. Having seen your posts in various parts of the forum, including here, I know for damn sure this isn't even close to correct lol
    So far everyone keeps saying the PS5 SSD is so amazing that loading is going to be a thing of the past. Yet plenty of games still have a loading screen. This was before the PS5 was launched and Tim Sweeney was saying that PC needs to catch up to the PS5. Which is before we even found out that Epic and Sony had a deal they made, which clearly shows he had a bias. Yet here we are after the PS5's launch and people are still defending this "potential" of the PS5's SSD. We even got @Poppincaps who points at games like Spiderman and Demon's Souls which are both games made for older consoles so of course the loading time is going to be much faster. In the end the PS5 is about the same as a Xbox Series X in loading time and still slower than most PC's with a quality Nvme. Which means I'm correct. The only dispute you all have against me is that the PS5's SSD has... potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mr. zealo, that is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent objection. Overruled! While I'm sure the PS5 is going to have faster loading times over the PS4 with a SSD but in general it won't be a world of difference. As its been proven many times over that the PS5's SSD is nothing special. In most cases an SSD is all you really need to get really fast loading times as we can see with the PS4 Pro with SSD vs PS5. In some cases the PS4 Pro with an SSD may load games faster than the PS5.

There maybe "potential" on the PS5 but so far it's not faster than a Xbox One X with any current games. Certainly the limited 825GB of storage on the PS5 may become a bigger issue in the future.
    Every post you make continues to inform the rest of us that you don't really know a whole lot about software engineering, to put it mildly.

Faster loading screens is about as marginal of a benefit as you get out of sticking an SSD in a PS4, but that doesn't mean that's where it stops with what can be done with data streaming with assets on the fly when the system ships with an NVME drive as the baseline, and you no longer have to account for that your game needs to run on a mechanical HDD, too.

The PS5 SSD is so fast it lets them use Kraken compression if you want an example of this Control Ultimate Edition is only 25 GB on PS5, 42% smaller then it is on Series X and PC.

It let them build a game in ratchet that is based around taking portals between worlds with 0 load times.

It takes away speed limits in games like spiderman because it doesn't have a bottleneck on streaming in assets.

But sure to Vash this is the same thing as sticking a shitty sata SSD in a PS4 lol...

10+ Year Old Account
    The PS5 uses a NVE SSD which can also be found on PCs. The reason why Sony can, even if part of it is just marketing say its ahead of PCs is because, NVE isn't standard across most PCs, not even most PCs with gaming ad their primary function. And the PS5's OS is designed to take advantage of the technology in ways more than just a slightly faster data transfer speeds. Windows doesn't utilize the technology as well as the PS5's OS (whatever it's called, I don't feel like looking it up).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Windows doesn't utilize the technology as well as the PS5's OS (whatever it's called, I don't feel like looking it up).
    That's what you get with purpose-built hardware/software. Seriously, going back to all the post-reveal interviews for the PS5 one of the most common things folks were so excited about across disciplines was...the SSD and the new opportunities it opened up for development.

I know I don't understand all the implications, but I think there continues to be a lot of misunderstanding on what SSD's, especially NVME SSD's with insane transfer rates, actually mean. It's just just that the game boots up super fast or loads nearly instantly from one zone to another, that's just the most immediate and obvious benefit.

Alls I know is when the people who make games I enjoy get super excited over a new piece of tech and what it allows them to do, I'm excited.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The PS5 uses a NVE SSD which can also be found on PCs. The reason why Sony can, even if part of it is just marketing say its ahead of PCs is because, NVE isn't standard across most PCs, not even most PCs with gaming ad their primary function. And the PS5's OS is designed to take advantage of the technology in ways more than just a slightly faster data transfer speeds. Windows doesn't utilize the technology as well as the PS5's OS (whatever it's called, I don't feel like looking it up).
    Yes, m.2 drives can be found on PCs, one that matches PS5 specs is going to run you more then the cost of a PS5 though. The PS5 itself has an m.2 drive for future expansion that isn't even enabled yet because there is not a large amount of drives on the market capable of the same performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow dude, way to be condescending when you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Your video just goes to prove my point. A PS4 with an SSD is 40% slower. A PS4 Pro as it comes out of the box takes 3 times as long. Also I'm not talking about potential like it's some far off thing. The PS5 version of Miles Morales loads in half the time in Fast Travel as the PS4 version. In terms of boot up time it cuts that down by over a minute. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Epio5YhN8M

Everyone knows that games at the beginning of the generation do not take the full advantage of the hardware. Compare early PS4 games to recent PS4 games and you'll see a big difference. It happens with every single generation. Assuming that this won't happen is insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Every post you make continues to inform the rest of us that you don't really know a whole lot about software engineering, to put it mildly.
    You state things, I state things, but what makes you more correct?
    Faster loading screens is about as marginal of a benefit as you get out of sticking an SSD in a PS4, but that doesn't mean that's where it stops with what can be done with data streaming with assets on the fly when the system ships with an NVME drive as the baseline, and you no longer have to account for that your game needs to run on a mechanical HDD, too.
    Ok... and? Everything has a SSD in it now, which again doesn't make the PS5 special. Makes it more special than a PS4 and Xbox One, when games use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The PS5 SSD is so fast it lets them use Kraken compression if you want an example of this Control Ultimate Edition is only 25 GB on PS5, 42% smaller then it is on Series X and PC.
    It is impressive but also already exists on the PS4. The difference here is that the PS5 has a ASIC that does this instead of the CPU, and does it much faster. Also Microsoft claims that their BCPack texture compression is considered better. I'm just glad that compression is starting to be used when game files sizes are getting out of control, no pun intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Wow dude, way to be condescending when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
    Another one of you guys. Like an infestation here.
    Your video just goes to prove my point. A PS4 with an SSD is 40% slower.
    You know I don't know the quality of the SSD used in the PS4, right? That makes a difference. Yes 40% slower but also only 4 seconds slower. You aren't upsetting anyone who has to wait 4 seconds to start a game. My point still stands in that any SSD will do fine.
    A PS4 Pro as it comes out of the box takes 3 times as long.
    Not my fault Sony wasn't upgrading them to SSD's. I never understood that.
    Everyone knows that games at the beginning of the generation do not take the full advantage of the hardware. Compare early PS4 games to recent PS4 games and you'll see a big difference. It happens with every single generation. Assuming that this won't happen is insane.
    Not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying that the SSD isn't a big deal. The main thing here is to compress games down so that file sizes don't get out of control like they have been. We're also at a point where games on the PS5 and PS4 aren't going to be different for a while. Probably in a couple of years you won't be able to play some PS5 games on a PS4, but right now all games will probably run on the PS4.

I'd be worried about SSD wear as SSD's do go bad and you can't replace the SSD in the PS5. I would definitely put games on the external M.2 SSD on the PS5 to avoid wearing out the internal SSD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love regular car reviews.
    I love you for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Alls I know is when the people who make games I enjoy get super excited over a new piece of tech and what it allows them to do, I'm excited.
    The UE5 PS5 demo was a great early look at what the technology could be leveraged to create.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

I'd be worried about SSD wear as SSD's do go bad and you can't replace the SSD in the PS5. I would definitely put games on the external M.2 SSD on the PS5 to avoid wearing out the internal SSD.
    We're talking decades here of regular use...unless you're installing and deleting huge amounts of data daily, it won't be an issue.

Besides loading times, the main benefit of the PS5 SSD is also streaming huge amounts of assets. Like every generation, it takes time for the games to fully utilise it. Your points can all be argued that it's simply too soon to see the real benefit.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2021-03-17 at 03:04 AM.

You state things, I state things, but what makes you more correct?.
    Facts makes you wrong and others correct.

Happy we could settle that.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BTC Bill View Post
    I love you for this.
    You know it.
    The UE5 PS5 demo was a great early look at what the technology could be leveraged to create.
    I think it took the PS4 and Xbox One until 2015 before games started to take advantage of the hardware, and even then you have games like RDR2 and God of War that really started to push the consoles to their limit. Then you have the Xbox Series S which is extremely weak compared to the Series X and PS5. That's going to hold back gaming unless the Xbox totally flops. Considering the limited hardware supply and how quickly people are buying game consoles, it's starting to look like the Xbox may not be a failure.

Remember The Order 1886? Nobody does because it was a short lived awful tech demo that looked awesome but took years before graphics looked like this in other games. Like 3DMark but for consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    We're talking decades here of regular use...unless you're installing and deleting huge amounts of data daily, it won't be an issue.
    I'm willing to bet that most people who own a PS5 won't buy a M.2 SSD so they don't have to delete and install games over and over. Time will tell how durable the PS5's SSD is but just assume that things can and will go wrong. I don't normally advise to buy the extended warranty but do buy the extended warranty for the PS5. Think twice before buying from a scalper on Ebay because nobody honors warranty if you bought from an unauthorized seller on Ebay.

Oh man Vash found 13 broken PS5s! Look at the clickbait video! Itz prooooooooooof! You can't make these crappy talking points up, props dude.

Honestly, the SSD durability argument just doesn't work for me. I mean...I've ran SSDs since they came out under all kinds of extreme conditions and while I've seen several hard drives fail over the years, I don't think I've ever had a SSD cause an issue on any PC that I've worked on.

I'm not saying it won't happen under the correct circumstances or even randomly. I'm just saying that personally, on average, I'd expect to see other parts wear out sooner under the types of conditions I use my PS5 in.

Now, if it started happening en masse, we'd have a problem, but until then I can't single it out as a negative, especially consider the upgrade it provides. Just my opinion, not a fact.

All that said, personally, I'm very kind and patient with my hardware, so even if this was a problem, I'd probably be immune. I actually manually micromanage this, not because of worry, but just because I always manually micromanage storage, for fun.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-03-17 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Honestly, the SSD durability argument just doesn't work for me. I mean...I've ran SSDs since they came out under all kinds of extreme conditions and while I've seen several hard drives fail over the years, I don't think I've ever had a SSD cause an issue on any PC that I've worked on.

I'm not saying it won't happen under the correct circumstances or even randomly. I'm just saying that personally, on average, I'd expect to see other parts wear out sooner under the types of conditions I use my PS5 in.

Now, if it started happening en masse, we'd have a problem, but until then I can't single it out as a negative, especially consider the upgrade it provides. Just my opinion, not a fact.

All that said, personally, I'm very kind and patient with my hardware, so even if this was a problem, I'd probably be immune. I actually manually micromanage this, not because of worry, but just because I always manually micromanage storage, for fun.
    An SSD can die ofc, but if it dies in any reasonable amount of time it's because it was faulty and a small % of the total batch. There is no reason to not expect an SSD to last 10+ years under normal use, and Vash's argument about deleting games is laughable because even if you delete a few games a month that is still less wear and tear then windows puts on a SSD lol. OS SSD still last for 10+ years or even much longer then that.

picked it up at a couple hours ago, came in a day early. Transfered saves was super fast, already unplugged my ps4 and put it away, maybe will sell it if i can get anything for it lol. Astro's playroom is actually pretty fun too. Now downloading Ghosts of Tsushima will play Miles later. Already very happy with my purchase though.