10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    not at the moment its not, at least not for me. are these games playable on ps4? yes, yes they are. so regardless of improvements to performance (and something is marginal as load time IMO is too minor to be a deciding factor), if you already own a ps4 and can PLAY those games at no extra charge RIGHT NOW, nevermind headache of trying to buy ps5 in a first place? then yeah, its not worth the bother. right now. I will more then likely end up buying ps5. eventually. maybe next year maybe in 2 years or more. that will depend on 1. immediate availability. 2. number of exclusives to ps5 that actualy interest me. 3. potential discounts (but without 1, 3 is not happening)

and that fps debate is so... damn... silly. I'm so sorry that I don't qualify as someone who plays games, apparently, because I'm perfectly content with 30fps, even on pc as long as its smooth 30fps.
    Eh. As someone who went from a lauch PS4 to a PS5, even playing PS4 games without a PS5 patch is worth it. I couldn't finish Fallen Order on my PS4 because the load times were unbearable. Bought Cyberpunk and thankfully Sony allowed refunds. If you have a Ps4 Pro, you can definitely bare to wait. If you have a base Ps4 then make the jump. Even with Pro - > PS5, the difference between the two running the same game is significant.

The list of games with a proper PS5 patch is quite large

https://www.psu.com/news/guide-ps5-e...raphics-modes/

Not sure why people keep saying there are no games for the console.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Eh. As someone who went from a lauch PS4 to a PS5, even playing PS4 games without a PS5 patch is worth it. I couldn't finish Fallen Order on my PS4 because the load times were unbearable. Bought Cyberpunk and thankfully Sony allowed refunds. If you have a Ps4 Pro, you can definitely bare to wait. If you have a base Ps4 then make the jump. Even with Pro - > PS5, the difference between the two running the same game is significant.

The list of games with a proper PS5 patch is quite large

https://www.psu.com/news/guide-ps5-e...raphics-modes/

Not sure why people keep saying there are no games for the console.
    there are games. there are virtually no exclusive games (at least not the ones I'm interested in). and i don't mind loading screens. I also don't mind not having peak graphics. its one (though not the only one) of the reasons I didn't buy and probably will not buy Mass effect legendary edition. I already have all the originals with all the relevant DLC's (literally just missing couple of outfits, but with mods, it doesn't even matter). took me less then 10 minutes to be immersed into original ME1, so... shrug.

if ps5 was easy to buy? then maybe. maybe I would consider upgrading sooner. but even then.. it took Uncharted 4 releasing exclusively for ps4 for me to get that system originally. prior to that I was perfectly happy with ps3 versions of Uncharted games and having replayed them on ps4 via collection? My enjoyment was exactly the same, yeah, sure they looked prettier, but once I was in the game? it didn't matter nearly as much. to me.

so yeah... for me ps5 will have to be easily, readily available, have a game come out exclusively on it that i absolutely positively HAVE to play on release AND.. preferably get a discounted price, a sale. right now? all those graphical updates are nice and all, but honestly not even remotely necessary, at least not for me. I'm not and never have been the sort of player that must play everything on ultra with highest possible framerate. i don't care. /shrug my PC is still running rtx 1060 and I'm doing just fine with it. been able to play every game i actualy wanted to play, so I see no need to upgrade, unless it literally dies on me.

10+ Year Old Account
    there are games. there are virtually no exclusive games (at least not the ones I'm interested in). and i don't mind loading screens. I also don't mind not having peak graphics. its one (though not the only one) of the reasons I didn't buy and probably will not buy Mass effect legendary edition. I already have all the originals with all the relevant DLC's (literally just missing couple of outfits, but with mods, it doesn't even matter). took me less then 10 minutes to be immersed into original ME1, so... shrug.

if ps5 was easy to buy? then maybe. maybe I would consider upgrading sooner. but even then.. it took Uncharted 4 releasing exclusively for ps4 for me to get that system originally. prior to that I was perfectly happy with ps3 versions of Uncharted games and having replayed them on ps4 via collection? My enjoyment was exactly the same, yeah, sure they looked prettier, but once I was in the game? it didn't matter nearly as much. to me.

so yeah... for me ps5 will have to be easily, readily available, have a game come out exclusively on it that i absolutely positively HAVE to play on release AND.. preferably get a discounted price, a sale. right now? all those graphical updates are nice and all, but honestly not even remotely necessary, at least not for me. I'm not and never have been the sort of player that must play everything on ultra with highest possible framerate. i don't care. /shrug my PC is still running rtx 1060 and I'm doing just fine with it. been able to play every game i actualy wanted to play, so I see no need to upgrade, unless it literally dies on me.

Based on your words you don't care about the current gen or performance. A niche gamer. 'Video Games' comment wasn't directed at you.

And lets be honest for a moment, most people really don't notice graphics as much unless we are watching Digital Foundry and they are making screenshots of games and then use 400% zoom.

Right now the only reason to buy a PS5 is to resell it yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    And lets be honest for a moment, most people really don't notice graphics as much unless we are watching Digital Foundry and they are making screenshots of games and then use 400% zoom.

While I think this is somewhat true, I'd also say whether a PS5 is worth it right now is based on your perspective and your belief that Sony will be able to provide a solid library throughout the game's lifecycle.

Personally, I think the PS4 library was incredible. Hell, the PS3 had some rough spots, but it had a solid library of games as well. When it comes to exclusives, I have faith in Sony, because they have delivered for every console I've owned (PS2-PS4). So that belief, coupled with the fact that my large library of PS4 games will get vary degrees of enhancements on the console, makes this a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Ffs... of course I'm at work when I get a notification that GameStop (Ireland) is accepting reservations on a first come first served basis in store this morning... and I don't finish till 2pm.

Got a call from GameStop this morning, I can collect my PS5 tomorrow, less than 2 weeks since my post above... \o/
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-07-19 at 01:13 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Being able to play games at a higher framerate without sounding like a jet is taking off, is a good enough reason for me to be an early adopter of a console that is going to have plenty of new games in the long run (just as its four predecessors did).

It's fine if you don't feel the same way, of course.

I mean let me just be honest about my opinion on this.

1. I need to have a system that can play the PS4 library, because of my investments and interests.
    2. I need to eventually own a PS5, because the PS4 is actually obsolete now.
    3. Every second I am NOT owning a PS5, I no longer can play PS4 or PS5 games in the best possible above board way.
    4. The only gen I care about backwards compatibility for that isn't a Nintendo console is last gen(PS4).
    5. If I waited I would not be getting a bargain, I would be paying the same, just getting it later, and all that waiting would be for nothing, really, just my suffering without the new system, which I would be paying for eventually anyway.

So I had and have zero incentive to NOT buy a PS5. In fact, not buying it, for me, would have been a bad move. I would also never recommend to anyone in gaming in modern day to not own SOME console that could play the PS4 library.

I would have robbed myself of potentially years of next gen gaming, and not been able to play the PS5 patched versions of many games. I would also not have been able to enjoy my LG CX nearly as much.

Here is one more, and this is the big one.

6. My PS5 will be old, worn out, and used for a relative lifetime of epic gaming before most enthusiasts are even able to get their hands on one. Yes, I feel lucky and thankful.

I've already had to clean the dust out of mine. I've had to USE the vacuum holes!

I already have untold hours on my PS5. I have greatly enjoyed the system already, for games but also TV and movies, blu ray HD planet earth 2, ect. I have experienced this UX firsthand as it has evolved and worked out bugs.

There is just no way I can regret getting one and enjoying it so greatly for so long now. It is a huge spin to pretend my getting a PS5 early hasn't been one of the best purchases I have or will ever make.

I'm not so happy because I got a new game console. Instead, I realize how lucky I am to get a launch console at msrp. I realize how many so badly want the thing I have been so lucky to obtain, and that just adds more perceived value to an already impressive machine. Launching with Demon's Souls and following up with Rift Apart doesn't hurt either.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2021-07-19 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Based on your words you don't care about the current gen or performance. A niche gamer. 'Video Games' comment wasn't directed at you.
    casual yes, niche? I'm not sure. its not that I completely don't care. I'm not the "I only play old school indi games" type of person. but rather i don't care enough to HAVE to want to be early adopter. and considering that Sony is STILL releasing games for ps4 (and released games for ps3 for a considerable time after ps4 was already out) I'm part of a large enough market. Video games made an assumption that people who are content to play ps4 games - on ps4, must not be playing games, and that's why they don't care. All I'm saying is that assumption they made is not a correct one. /shrug.

as I said I will 99.99% will buy ps5. because I'm part of the market that target midway through the lifecycle of the console. when they start running promotions on it, when they release paired down budget versions, etc. I just don't see the point in stressing out over trying to get my hands on ps5 right now, when its, well.. stressful.

I was planning on it but the stock issues and gaming companies still using covid as an excuse even though pre-covid they only managed to release 1 decent game every 3-4 years and computer programming did have work arounds as one of the few professions that can actually be done at home and not require travel I have no sympathy for lack of shit released. They are still making movies and tv shows with threaters closed for over a year for christ sake.

I've kinda switched over to PC and the only thing that would entice me is bloodborne 2 and that sounds too good to be true. From software will move onto another IP like all other titles.

Well if you are looking for a ps5 check your emails because Sony are doing an invite only sale today at 12 PT. They've done this in the past, and had extra stock so opened to a public QUEUE so might want to check even if you haven't gotten an email.

Ffs... of course I'm at work when I get a notification that GameStop (Ireland) is accepting reservations on a first come first served basis in store this morning... and I don't finish till 2pm.
    I can't believe people still don't have one. Mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I can't believe people still don't have one. Mental.
    Blame the parasites called scalpers. A group of them a few months ago made £20m.

15+ Year Old Account
    Scarlet nexus was muy cool. Although the it takes awhile for the combat to get going till you can do 4 sas at the same time
    Last edited by Video Games; 2021-07-20 at 05:45 PM.

Blame the parasites called scalpers. A group of them a few months ago made £20m.
    That's bonkers.

Shocked that there's no Web Browser on the PS5... I was Streaming videos on the PS4's browser. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    There is a browser technically. It’s not full featured though and is used mainly for accessing manuals.
    Awful round about way, was using the browser to stream shows not available via official Apps.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-07-21 at 04:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/su...nstall-m2-ssd/

Beta for m.2 expansion is live. I expect full support by winter time.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status...11116083662855

This got a good laugh from me.

Seriously though would it kill Sony to come up with a simpler way to do this kind of thing? Even just a separate module I can slide out of my PS5 and install the SSD to would be preferable to this. Plus you have to make sure it's the right kind of SSD as well so hopefully, they come out with some kind of official SSD to make it a little easier for people who don't know what to look for.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you're trading convenience for more options on brands and cheaper prices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by Video Games; 2021-07-30 at 06:06 AM.