Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    seriously - why people want lock new class behind specific races? its bs, like monks not beign for worgen/goblin...why remove choices for players and force them to race they potentially don't like or don't want to play

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Dark Rangers isnt enough to fill 1 whole spec, let alone 3, or even 2-4. Thats glyphs and character customizations and mogs.
    They could easily get creative with the Dark Ranger.

The firstvand only obvious pick is a ranged dps spec based on bows. After that they can do whatever they wish. Life Drain healer spec, dual wield dagger melee spec, a banshee form caster spec, a minion-based summoner spec, etc.

I mean class specs are so homogenized to the point where a basic rotation is 5 abilities, supplemented with 5 cooldowns, some generic Class spells and fill the rest with talents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainsorrow View Post
    seriously - why people want lock new class behind specific races? its bs, like monks not beign for worgen/goblin...why remove choices for players and force them to race they potentially don't like or don't want to play
    It’s worth it for the Class fantasy. For a good portion of WoW’s history, Druids were restricted to only 2 races. That didn’t impede them from easily becoming the most popular class in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I mean class specs are so homogenized to the point where a basic rotation is 5 abilities, supplemented with 5 cooldowns, some generic Class spells and fill the rest with talents.
    Yeah, so let’s not make the homogenization worse by adding classes that are nothing more than offshoots of existing classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Im thinking a regular class, but starts at 20 like an Allied Race. Unless the level squish/zone squish happens.

The races I feel would be:
    Gnome
    Mecha-Gnome
    Goblin
    Junker Goblin
    Dwarf
    DI Dwarf
    Vulpera

im not sure about the other races.
    Forsaken as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    It’s worth it for the Class fantasy. For a good portion of WoW’s history, Druids were restricted to only 2 races. That didn’t impede them from easily becoming the most popular class in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, so let’s not make the homogenization worse by adding classes that are nothing more than offshoots of existing classes.
    Druids were almost certainly the least played or one of the least played classes in Vanilla. Let's be real here though. Blizzard is not going to risk spending tons of money and dev time on a new class, only for it to be pigeon holed behind two races few want to play. Making money is more important to Blizz than 'class fantasy.' It made complete sense for them to do this with DH because of the lore of the class and elves are well-liked and well-played races.

Aside from that, I think limiting Tinker to stereotypical races is just short-sighted. Yes, there is a demonstrated history in Warcraft lore of Goblins, Dwarves and Gnomes being tinkers but that doesn't mean they are the only races that can learn to use technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Druids were only the least played because they were a mediocre at best class. Their population grew with TBC and WotLK making them a strong class. Racial limitations don't really impact class population like you're claiming. Monks are currently the least played class and only two races cant be monks.

How is it short-sighted? None of the races with the exception of Draenei using crystal technology are remotely comparable to what Gnomes and Goblins are capable of doing with technology. A Tinker is someone way above an engineer. Just because other races can learn engineering doesn't mean anything. Tinkerers don't just learn to use technology they create it.
    I'm not claiming that racial limitations ALWAYS limit class population. As I stated, it works for DH. It fits the class lore. DH is the 5th most-played 120 class, which is great for the newest class. That wasn't much of a risk though. Belf is by far the most played Horde race and Nelf is #2 for Alliance. Gnomes and Goblins and Dwarves are a tiny fraction of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    [Version A] The more expensive and RP-flavored version.

Armor: Mail

Races:
    A: Gnomes, IF Dwarves, DI Dwarves, LF Draenei.
    H: Goblins, Undead, Mag'har(Iron Horde style), Blood Elves(?)

Specs:

Mechanics (Tank)
    Each race will equip a racially themed mech suit (ala-druids).
    It doesn't have to be as huge as the ones in quests. It's size will be reasonably practical to not be annoying.
    Mostly melee attacks. With some electricity for CC. Some turbines to charge into battle maybe?
    Able to use 2h-Mace, 1H-Maces, Daggers, Shield.

Explosives (RDPS)
    Able to use Rifles, Crossbows, (maybe Bows too, for qol/practical reasons). No suit.
    Attacks will be about fire and explosions. Grenades, Mines, Rockets, Flamethrower, Turret, etc.
    They would be able to summon three pets, one for tanking, one for dps, one for utility. Each race will have different ones.
    There will of course be a talent to remove the pet for another bonus, for those who dislike pets.

Chemistry (Healing)
    Able to use all of the above weapons.
    Attacks would be about electricity and various other beams. No suit.
    They would be able to summon two pets, one for soloing, one for group-support. Each race will have different ones.
    To heal they would throw vials or something more techy, maybe even shoot syringes or azurite beams.
    Their instant heals would be applied by hovering mini-pets, but that's just the animation of the spell, not the real pet, see the scoundrel's heals in SWTOR.

Also, Tinkers would have a few quests that give some different, tinker-themed back-slot skins.
    Like utility backpacks, non-functional gadgets and such.
    I like the version A very much! But there is just one thing I would change in it!

I wouldn't have allowed LF Draenei and Blood Elves to be Tinkers, their tech is more Magical than gears and cogs, and I myself would love the Tinker class to be more original to their core, nothing with magic, but pure mechanical(alchemist and explosives included!). Also that I do not want the elves to have more special classes, they got their DH, they arn't allowed to have more xP

I would have done it mooore like this.
    A: Gnomes, Humans(?), Dwarves, Dark Iron Dwarves.
    H: Goblins, Undead, Orcs(?), Mag'har Orcs.

So it will be mostly of core races. And it might be a bit wierd to have humans and orcs, but humans and orcs have mingled with alot of other races, so I think it make sense for them to have it, or at least a bit more acceptable for them to have it compared to other races. Also to swap the colors pallets between Dwarfs and Dark Iron Dwarfs, Orcs and Mag'har Orcs should be relatively easy to do(I think?). But it can also be argued to not have Humans and Orcs on it, which is fine. So just like Gnomes, Dwarfs and Dark Iron Dwarfs for Alliance. Goblins, Undeads and Mag'har Orcs for the Horde.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedictu View Post
    Druids were almost certainly the least played or one of the least played classes in Vanilla. Let's be real here though. Blizzard is not going to risk spending tons of money and dev time on a new class, only for it to be pigeon holed behind two races few want to play. Making money is more important to Blizz than 'class fantasy.' It made complete sense for them to do this with DH because of the lore of the class and elves are well-liked and well-played races.
    Except you can't base a class' future popularity on the current population numbers of its target races. Obviously once the new class enters the game, those numbers are going to increase. You create a new class that people want to play, and you're going to have no problem recouping your investment.

Additionally the Tinker as a concept is heavily Goblin and Gnome oriented by default. If people despise Goblins and Gnomes, they're going to despise the Tinker as well no matter how many races you give it to.

- - - Updated - - -

You cant avoid that though. You realize even a tinker has to fit the basic rules and restrictions of class balance. I doubt it will be a highly creative and unique endeavor lest it be a wreck to balance with other classes.

I think that Tinkers will be race restricted like DH only to Goblins and Gnome.

We can stretch to Belf and Draenei because we saw them having some kind of affinity to engineering from TBC to now.

But I find more legit having only Goblins and Gnomes.

10+ Year Old Account
    You cant avoid that though. You realize even a tinker has to fit the basic rules and restrictions of class balance. I doubt it will be a highly creative and unique endeavor lest it be a wreck to balance with other classes.
    Even following the conventions of existing classes, the Tinker would be different than anything else in the class lineup.

Even following the conventions of existing classes, the Tinker would be different than anything else in the class lineup.
    So would any new class.

10+ Year Old Account
    So would any new class.
    Untrue. Monks and Demon Hunters were almost immediately criticized for playing too much like existing classes. This largely led to the current desire for the next class to be ranged.

So would any new class.
    Not really because we already have pretty much covered all the archetype of GDR classes

We have the one that use Fire School, Frost, Shadow, Holy, Nature.

The Dotter, the Ninja, the Pet Class, the Melee Juggernaut, the Ranged Sniper etc etc

We miss out the Supporter (Bard) and the Mechanical one

Plus as somebody said we lack of new ranged class.

All current hero class are Melee.

Untrue. Monks and Demon Hunters were almost immediately criticized for playing too much like existing classes, largely leading to the current desire for the next class to not be leather-bound melee.
    Yet they are still classes, right? Again, this is more proof of how classes and specs are designed in WoW. They are all offshoots of existing mechanics because of the way the game is homogenized.

Tinker would literally be designed the same way. All it would be is a tech themed skin on existing mechanics. You would still channel spells and cast bar and use and gain resource appropriately. Healers all use mana, and I doubt they will stray from that since that is how they balance healers.

Thats why I doubt Tinkers will be healers too.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-04-20 at 06:38 PM.

That depends only on Blizzard.

Nobody is forbidding them to make Tinker the 2nd Druid Class with 4 Specs and Forms.

They can finally decide to test if giving healers something different from Mana could works.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Directionalk9 View Post
    Or it could result in extremely low Tinker population, with new classes that’s probably not wo the risk. Introducing new races, Allied or otherwise isn’t much a gamble, as it just gives players a focus towards what ever niche look they want.

Not to mention, there just too much of a strong presence of other races doing the Tinker thing as well. I say this as a guy who’s been dreaming of a Tinker to do what you say, have a strong class connection to my Goblin (best Horde Race).
    True
    But I think they'd have to drop the Mech riding concept with "bigger" races. I wouldn't mind seeing Mag'har or Draenei being Tinkers
    Buuut I would like to see more Goblins (and Gnomes, I suppose) and an exclusive class might help them out
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Mag'har tinker?? Lmao.

How they are basically Savage living in Hut

Quote Originally Posted by Daikoku View Post
    That depends only on Blizzard.

Nobody is forbidding them to make Tinker the 2nd Druid Class with 4 Specs and Forms.

They can finally decide to test if giving healers something different from Mana could works.
    Then we would have seen existing healers with this already.