Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Great Solo Games?

In a few months, I will be going over seas for work for a few months. The good news is it is a chill job, I will have a lot of down time, really only get up when things break. The down side is, 12 hours shifts, 7 days a week, and I have internet but lets just say the pings will suck. I need a list of good single player games. Here is what I have so far:

1) Buying a console just for Red Dead 2. (I'm 100% PC gamer)
    2) Buying a Switch just for Zelda.... I took a look at other Switch games but none really looked to be my thing.
    3) Sekiro on my Laptop with Xbox 360 controller, I loved Dark Souls 1,2 and 3.
    4) Paradox games, Stellaris, Hearts of Iron IV, Europa IV.
    5) Fallout 4, Oblivion, Skyrim super modded. Maybe Fallout 2 with mods and lost content restored, have not played it in like 10 years.
    6) Metro Exodus
    7) Perhaps buy one of those SNES/Genesis consoles they sell in Best Buy that come pre loaded with 80ish games.

Anyway, as you can see I like a range of games. I like strategy (I love the IDEA behind Civ 5/6 but I think they are garbage with unplayably bad AI) I love open world games like Skyrim (but its lame unmodded) and I like games like Dark Souls. I like RPGs too but I am picky... I am almost disappointed in myself over it but I just couldn't get into Pillars of Eternity, I hated the camping system as the only way to heal up.

ESO is a great MMO for playing solo. It's basically a solo game that happens to have other people in it. I also this it actually has a better story than Skyrim too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    In a few months, I will be going over seas for work for a few months. The good news is it is a chill job, I will have a lot of down time, really only get up when things break. The down side is, 12 hours shifts, 7 days a week, and I have internet but lets just say the pings will suck. I need a list of good single player games. Here is what I have so far:

2) Buying a Switch just for Zelda.... I took a look at other Switch games but none really looked to be my thing.
    5) Fallout 4, Oblivion, Skyrim super modded. Maybe Fallout 2 with mods and lost content restored, have not played it in like 10 years.
    6) Metro Exodus
    7) Perhaps buy one of those SNES/Genesis consoles they sell in Best Buy that come pre loaded with 80ish games.

Anyway, as you can see I like a range of games. I like strategy (I love the IDEA behind Civ 5/6 but I think they are garbage with unplayably bad AI) I love open world games like Skyrim (but its lame unmodded) and I like games like Dark Souls. I like RPGs too but I am picky... I am almost disappointed in myself over it but I just couldn't get into Pillars of Eternity, I hated the camping system as the only way to heal up.
    I don't play a lot of single player but DQXI and Octopath (it's coming to PC) are pretty good. RE2 was awesome, I've heard DMC5 is damn good but haven't gotten around to it myself.

That's all I have recently honestly....

Oh dragon's dogma is amazing and better then skyrim imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    ESO is a great MMO for playing solo. It's basically a solo game that happens to have other people in it. I also this it actually has a better story than Skyrim too.
    He's worried about ping, that can DEFINITELY effect a solo experience in an MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you just like to have meaningless fun like me, and maybe want your female friends to join, get a Switch. On the TV of course
    Nintendo is by far the most talented and still respectable company. Makes great fun games.

If you want to escape and live some great stories...

My two favorite
    Mass Effect 1,2,3 (not Andromeda, it is really bad and short)
    Dragon Age: Origins (you could get the rest, they are fine games, but not like Origins)

Witcher games
    Neverwinter Nights games
    Icewind Dale games
    Baldur's Gate games
    KOTOR (star wars)
    Fallout games
    I guess the Elder Scrolls games as well, but they need a ton of mods to be realistic, and they are less story driven, more freedom of what you do.

Europa Universalis is great, but not for everyone.
    I play it, but i'm waiting for Imperator Rome which is releasing really soon.

i also really wanted to try that Styx game. stealth based.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2019-04-19 at 03:21 AM.

Warhammer 2 Total War.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana.

Awesome game, and if you get it on Switch, the bonus is you can play anywhere. On your TV or on the go.

It's a real-time action JRPG with a compelling story.

It's sort of WoW'ish, IMO, yet single player. Not many single player RPG's let you AOE kite. Farm mats if you feel like just doing that, etc. Fishing too, hot nodes /wink.

Very well polished. Better map system and inventory management than I've seen in other recent RPG's.

It rarely even dips below $60 though, so theres that.

There are other games I could recommend, but a big list won't help much without an explanation for each title.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2019-04-19 at 04:51 AM.

Mass Effect Trilogy.
    Witcher 3
    Fallout 3\New Vegas
    Skyrim

And personal favorites of mine, having spent hundreds of hours on each, Divinity : Original Sin, Divinity : Original Sin 2 and Xcom : Enemy Within. Phenomenal games.

Spider-Man
    God of War
    Detroit Become Human

All amazing single player PS4 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    6) Metro Exodus
    Sekiro is not really a Souls game. I mean, it has similarities, but a large number of people who generally loved Souls games didn't like Sekiro. Don't know if this will be true for you or not, but you won't know until you play. That's a bit of a risk.

A Switch also has smaller titles than Zelda. For instance, currently I'm playing Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, and Salt & Sanctuary. Salt & Sanctuary is almost literally 2D Dark Souls.

The main thing I see is how portable you want to be. The Switch has the most portability, and can be plugged into any TV with an HDMI port. A Laptop is a little less portable, but has a wider range of games(Anything from Civ, Stellaris, to Fallout, Skyrim, or Dark Souls).

A Console more or less has to be set up at some place with a TV, locking you down to a more static location. I guess you could lug around a thin-version in a backpack or something, but that doesn't help you if you don't also carry a screen somehow.

EDIT: Also, didn't see any preference, but you did mention Fallout 4, which has shooting elements, so you might try DOOM 2016. Not the longest game, but a VERY good single-player FPS. And if you go with a console like the PS4, you could pick up BloodBorne and the newest God of War game if you haven't played them already. I'd highly recommend you update any console game BEFORE you go over seas with a poor connection or localization/regional issues.

Some other single-player games that don't necessarily require an internet connection:

Ori & the Blind Forest
    Transistor
    Bastion
    The Witcher 3
    Any of the Bioshock games
    Dishonored 1& 2
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2019-04-19 at 05:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are buying a console for Red Dead Redemption 2, go with a PS4. They have really been knocking it out of the park with solid single player games over the past few years. God of War is outstanding, Spider-Man may be the best rendition of the web slinger outside of the comics, Horizon Zero Dawn is a lot of fun, and you can now get the entire Uncharted series plus The Last of Us on PS4.

If you like RPGs, The Witcher 3 is great but it does start out a little slow. Worth sticking with it though.

If you have never played any of the Assassin's Creed games, some are quite good. AC 4: Black Flag is a fun pirate romp and AC: Odyssey is an enormous game that will take some time to get though.

-RDR2: My game of the year 2018.
    -God of war PS4: Excellent world, combat and story telling.
    -Metro Exodus (Don't sleep on this one. It's incredibly atmospheric)
    -Sekiro: It's shaping up to be my game of 2019, thus far.

And yes, absolutely go for a PS4 Pro.

10+ Year Old Account
    PS4 is a good call.

RDR2 is one of the biggest games I’ve played in years, huge amounts to do and you’ll have fun doing it.

Spider-Man. I’m not the biggest Spider-Fan, but this game is a LOT of fun, won’t keep you interested for a huge amount of time, but it’ll kill a few weeks. And Uncle Ben.

Assassins Creed Odyssey. Another huge game. I’ve sunk nearly 150 hours in so far, and there’s still a LOT to do, plus with the choices/builds available, New Game + will be worth it. I strongly recommend you pick up the Season, too. Legacy of the First Blade was great and Fate of Atlantis looks even better.

Those three, between them, should keep you happy while you’re out there.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

My favorite solo game of recent years is Subnautica. It's an open world survival game where you basically make your own way through the game and story. It's both beautiful and terrifying, kinda like dark souls. It is a very immersive game that is best played without guides/wikis or other spoilers imo. Very solo game though, it's you vs. the whole planet.

Other than that you can't go wrong with most final fantasies and zeldas. If you haven't yet you could play through the remastered FFX on PC for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Warhammer 2 Total War.
    Uncultured man-things don't appreciate this game yes yes

15+ Year Old Account
    - Prey
    - Divinity: Original Sin 2
    - Rimworld
    - Crusader Kings 2
    - Oxygen Not Included
    - Terraria

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

You have EU IV and you ask for what games to play?

And since you have Oblivion and Skyrim, you should play Morrowind the best of the series. I would recommend to play the vanilla experience, and fill it up with mods after you've at least played the main story line.

Dawn of War. The first one with all it's expansions, phenomenal RTS. Haven't played 2 & 3 so I can't comment about them.

Divinity Original Sin 2. Only Divinity game I've played, but it was awesome, a great RPG you get the feeling of playing a PC D&D campaign. Surprisingly not much replayability though, at least not for me. The way the game is set it it's kinda linear and even though you have a lot of choices and multiple stories with all the characters, I couldn't even manage to beat it a second time.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Very old school game, but it's really good. Turn based strategy with armies, you can play the single player story campaign but there are also a lot of custom campaigns you can play as well.

If you like repeatable indie rogue like dungeon crawlers, then I would suggest The Binding of Isaac and Deadcells. I've put in over 400 hours in each of those, very addicting games and you can keep playing them without it getting repetitive or boring.

the remade Strife (Veteran Edition) on Steam. doom engine era game which is a wonderful old school experience.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, good single player game to get into. Especially since the sequel has been announced for next year release.

Age of Empires 2 HD, yes, it’s old (well the original), but the campaign still holds up today.
    The Witcher 3
    And since you bought that PS4:
    -Uncharted 1, 2, 3, 4 and Lost Legacy (2, 4 and LL are the best in the series)
    -The Last of Us
    -Spider-Man
    -God of War
    -Infamous Second Son + First Light
    -Horizon Zero Dawn
    -Ratchet & Clank

A Skyrim Collectors edition (with all the expansion packs) + a shitload of mods and you could easily lose track of half a year or more without even completing the story. Game is fucking huge, and there is soo much shit to do.

If you own a PS4, and are a kingdom hearts fan, you can get the "The Story So Far" collectors set, which gives you almost the complete set of 8 (or is it 9) games that take place before KH3, which is easily a good 3 to 4 months worth of stuff to play through for about the price of any normal single game.