Poll: Do you try to buy goods made in your home country?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Made in the USA

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I try to purchase local as much as possible, even if it's more expensive (especially locally grown produce). There is a general breaking point, though, where I'll shop somewhere cheaper if the price difference is drastic.

There are things that I cannot get local, though (bananas, oranges, etc) and I'll have no choice but to buy them "non-local", but I try to get US grown products where possible. It's not out of some bullshit sense of nationalism, it's more about keeping the locals employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    OK here's my caveat, Is it worth it to you to spend more for a locally owned business as opposed to a mega-chain.

Ex. Buying a hammer for 6 dollars at the mom and pop hardware store or same hammer from wal-mart for 4 dollars?
    Neither, I'd order it on Amazon.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Stuff like food, for example? Yeah I like to buy local ones, also generally because they are better than the ones imported from half a world away. Might be biased because I am from a country mostly known for agriculture and not much else. But other things like electronics, well, most of the world do not make them, so I do not really have a choice, do I?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I answered no... for stuff like produce I'd buy local. But too many other things I would shop where quality was the highest. Electronics (I really like Samsung products), cars (I have a Hyundai, but Toyota and Honda are also top notch) and a few other things, I feel like foreign markets have us beat. *shrug* just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Totally off topic but are Saab and Volvos expensive there too like they are here in USA?
    I do not know about SAAB, But I can tell you that it is cheaper to go to Sweden and buy the Volvo from the factory and have it shipped back to the states than to pay sticker pricing from a dealer.

I’m a globalist. Idgaf about where shit is made. Even blood diamonds. I just don’t care.

If there’s a market it’s going to happen one way or another.

Whatever you buy has already been taxed (import tax)

Couldn't care less. I buy stuff I find to be worth the price. I rarely even know what brand I buy when it comes to clothes.

Food? Sure.
    Other goods? Quite hard to get anything useful these days made in Germany. Cars is pretty much the only thing that is still a consumer good which is produced in large quantities in Germany, everything else is mostly industrial equipment and therfore not something I can actually aim for. Electronics are mostly made in Asia, and the few like Apple that are "made" in the west have their own slew of problems. That is before all the mislabeling and other tricks. Even for cars I would probably go for an asian one these days though, as I think the focus on luxury is wrong for most consumers and I personally don't care about a status symbol.

I try to buy local and American when I can, however buying American made comes with an American price. If a product is just as good but cheaper somewhere else, I am going to buy it..

I tend to stay away from anything Dutch, I tend to find it super overpriced and shitty quality most of the time. German? American and rest of Europe, apart from french cars: no problem!

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Food for sure. Farmers markets and buying animals direct from the farm certainly tastes different. But there's only so much you can do with such a long winter for produce.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

In America we believe in capitalism. So let the market decide!

For cars I usually go for Japanese products, cant beat the reliability at the price point they offer.