Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
  1. #121
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR - USA
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    I'd rather have a chimp in any political office over a Democrat https://youtu.be/4DZtMlNKggk actually that would be awesome, he could bite AOC and Omar's faces off and people would say "that's what you get for not hailing to the chimp"
    Republican worshipper!

    Besides, we already have the Orangutan in chief, who is the worst President I've seen in my lifetime.
    Last edited by Shaderas; 2019-04-22 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    RN requires an associate's degree and they average $80k a year salary in my state (Oregon). I have no sympathy for RNs crying about salary.

    CNAs get $15/hour which is not that great but also $5 over the minimum wage.
    Must not have updated with the times. RNs out here require a Bachelor's degree. As for the pay scale it's going to be different wherever you go.

    An Indiana or Wisconsin RN makes quite a bit less than their Illinois counterpart.

    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    RN requires an associate's degree and they average $80k a year salary in my state (Oregon). I have no sympathy for RNs crying about salary.

    CNAs get $15/hour which is not that great but also $5 over the minimum wage.
    Pay is not everywhere the same and you should consider the hours made. I know a lot of jobs that get overtime paid, nurses don't get that often (especially independent contractors).

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Must not have updated with the times. RNs out here require a Bachelor's degree. As for the pay scale it's going to be different wherever you go.

    An Indiana or Wisconsin RN makes quite a bit less than their Illinois counterpart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    Pay is not everywhere the same and you should consider the hours made. I know a lot of jobs that get overtime paid, nurses don't get that often (especially independent contractors).
    I don't give a flying fuck if the $80k is for a RN with an associate's or it's a BSN, they don't need anymore money. I like most nurses, I work with a few of them, we don't need to kiss their ass like they are the second coming.

    Cost of living is also lower in areas where salaries are lower, WI RNs average 70k a year. So I'm not sure what your point is, apparently your argument is that 70k a year is destitute level poverty.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck if the $80k is for a RN with an associate's or it's a BSN, they don't need anymore money. I like most nurses, I work with a few of them, we don't need to kiss their ass like they are the second coming.
    Well, maybe try to follow what people are posting, I was talking about NURSES. And the low pay THEY get in some states.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    Well, maybe try to follow what people are posting, I was talking about NURSES. And the low pay THEY get in some states.
    Yes you linked Wisconsin and apparently the average salary there is $70k a year for RNs. A friend of mine got a job right out of community college for $35 an hour in Delaware, they're not exactly hurting. And that was 2-3 years ago. Registry work (where you float from hospital to hospital as needed) is typically twice that amount per hour.

    Feel free to link those low nursing salary stats, I'm certain you're confused and are thinking of CNAs.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck if the $80k is for a RN with an associate's or it's a BSN, they don't need anymore money. I like most nurses, I work with a few of them, we don't need to kiss their ass like they are the second coming.
    Whoa calm down there, Chief.

    Just because they get paid $80k in Oregon doesn't mean they're getting that everywhere. My wife has Oncology specialties attached to her nursing license and just leaving the city of Chicago to the suburbs is a massive paycut. If she took the same job in Madison, WI it would be a 40% salary cut.

    Nobody is kissing anyone's ass. Both my statement and Johnny Walker's are that the pay grade for nurses is so wildly disproportionate depending on area.

    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yes you linked Wisconsin and apparently the average salary there is $70k a year for RNs. A friend of mine got a job right out of community college for $35 an hour in Delaware, they're not exactly hurting. Registry work (where you float from hospital to hospital as needed) is typically twice that amount per hour.
    Again, follow what people are posting. I did not post anything about Wisconsin. But hey, everything to feel outraged about when you think you are being attacked when it's far from that.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Whoa calm down there, Chief.

    Just because they get paid $80k in Oregon doesn't mean they're getting that everywhere. My wife has Oncology specialties attached to her nursing license and just leaving the city of Chicago to the suburbs is a massive paycut. If she took the same job in Madison, WI it would be a 40% salary cut.

    Nobody is kissing anyone's ass. Both my statement and Johnny Walker's are that the pay grade for nurses is so wildly disproportionate depending on area.
    https://nursesalaryguide.net/nurse-s...alary_by_State the lowest state rate for RNs is $57k a year in a state where the cost of living is well below the national average, nurses are fine. It is completely insane to suggest they need more money considering their education level, even accounting for the work that they do.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    https://nursesalaryguide.net/nurse-s...alary_by_State the lowest state rate for RNs is $57k a year in a state where the cost of living is well below the national average, nurses are fine. It is completely insane to suggest they need more money considering their education level, even accounting for the work that they do.
    Is that seriously what you're going with? They don't deserve more money because they didn't get enough education and nursing isn't a valuable skill?

    Also show me where I said they needed more money? I said their pay was different depending on locale -- they also like to lump speciality nurses in with RNs. As I noted my wife is an OCN -- but is still considered a RN in the grand scheme of it which does effect averages.

    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  11. #131
    Another example of why you should not let people in power decide over things they have no knowledge off. Nurses are overworked generally everywhere in the world, with standard issues being unable to take lunch and bathroom breaks plus working overtime way too often.
    P.S.
    Oh, she's a Republican. My outsider view of USA politics is seeing a pattern.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Is that seriously what you're going with? They don't deserve more money because they didn't get enough education and nursing isn't a valuable skill?

    Also show me where I said they needed more money? I said their pay was different depending on locale -- they also like to lump speciality nurses in with RNs. As I noted my wife is an OCN -- but is still considered a RN in the grand scheme of it which does effect averages.
    I think some posters are out of touch here. There are two receptionists at my vet clinic who make $12 an hour and have master's degrees in biology and english. Average 1 bedroom is $1500/month here. Those are not isolated cases, I see and hear stories like this all of the time. People with MBAs applying for receptionist positions,etc. These are the resumes I get on my desk at work.

    I doubt your wife is getting offers anywhere significantly under the WI state average and since the two of you are married you are relying on two incomes, I am sure you are fine. When I see people complaining about money being made well above the national average/living wage I typically encourage them to count their blessings, gain some perspective and live within their means.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think some posters are out of touch here. There are two receptionists at my vet clinic who make $12 an hour and have master's degrees in biology and english. Average 1 bedroom is $1500/month here. Those are not isolated cases, I see and hear stories like this all of the time. People with MBAs applying for receptionist positions,etc. These are the resumes I get on my desk at work.

    I doubt your wife is getting offers anywhere under the WI state average and since the two of you are married you are relying on two incomes I am sure you are fine. When I see people complaining about money being made well above the national average/living wage I typically encourage them to live within their means.
    This is an argument as to why those people should be making more money not that other's should be making less. You've seen enough of my posting history to know that I stand completely with workers and that a vast majority of jobs are underpaid for what they require.

    My wife's offer to work in Madison was much less than what she makes here. Is the cost of living in Chicago greater than Madison? Absolutely but not by 40%.

    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  14. #134
    Scarab Lord gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,159
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Not propaganda when it’s true. They will be one term congresswomen.
    Unfortunately this bitch has been in politics since 2004 when she was elected to the Washington state House of Representatives. She only became a state senator in 2017. Sadly this is NOT the first time she's said bullshit while in office. A while back she actually said that transgender kids were to blame for their own bullying because they chose to be transgender. Seriously this woman is a fucking idiot.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    You might want to go clean up a little bit. Your ignorance is showing. Hate to break it to you but nurses are the backbone of the medical community and their aid is the labor. Your doctor in the hospital will see you for 10-20 minutes tops the entire time you're there that day. Your nurse is the one who sees you the entire shift. Your nurse if who gives you your treatment to get better. Your nurse if the one that gives you your medicine to help you get better. Your nurse is the one that notifies your doctor if you take a turn for the worse. Your nurse is the one that actually explains to you what is going on with you & what you need to do to get better. Your aid is the one that brings you your food (and if you're unable to eat it by yourself is the one who literally feeds you your meal). Your aid is who gives you a bed bath or shower if you're in the hospital or nursing home and need one. Your aid is who walks you around if you are unstable on your feet. Your aid is who changes your bedding if they become soiled. Your aid is who dresses you if you are unable to dress yourself. Your aid is who takes you to the bathroom if you are unable to get there yourself. Now that you know what your nurse and aid do for just ONE person, multiply that by 6-20 and you have what their work load looks like for just ONE shift. GTFO here with your ignorance.
    *dismissive wanking off motion*

  16. #136
    My wife is a nurse, and this pissed her off considerably. I have a feeling this is the future of socialized medicine. When they cant find enough providers, they start "forcing" them to work...

    I mean besides, who needs a break after 4 - 14 hour shifts...amirite?

  17. #137
    Scarab Lord gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    RN requires an associate's degree and they average $80k a year salary in my state (Oregon). I have no sympathy for RNs crying about salary.

    CNAs get $15/hour which is not that great but also $5 over the minimum wage.
    CNAs in your state get paid very well. According to the national average, top tier CNAs get paid $15.95 per hour while median pay is only $12.30 SOURCE I live in California where the cost of living is much higher than in Oregon and your average CNA only makes $30k per year. In the city I grew up in (Visalia, CA) the average RN's pay is only $55k per year starting out. That's well below your $80k in Oregon, the national average, or state average of California SOURCE. Not quite sure where you're getting your information but most CNAs I know that live around the nation would be very happy to be making $15 an hour because most are getting $10-13 even after having 5-10 years experience.

    You should also read up on comparing salaries of RNs nation wide before spouting what you are saying about them. Where you live (Oregon) has a low cost of living yet nurses are one of the highest paid there. If you view this SOURCE you'll see that the other states that are higher/as high for RNs in the nation are Hawaii, California, and Massachusetts which all have very high costs of living and then Alaska which has the pay it does because the NEED for nurses is so high because nobody wants to live there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Must not have updated with the times. RNs out here require a Bachelor's degree. As for the pay scale it's going to be different wherever you go.

    An Indiana or Wisconsin RN makes quite a bit less than their Illinois counterpart.
    To obtain your RN you only need to have an associates degree. To do any form of nursing management you have to have your BSN. Now what a hospital requires is completely besides the point as some require just your AA and others require your BSN even for entry level RN jobs. Most states even offer what's referred to as a diploma program for RNs but those are pretty shitty if you ask my opinion because they are only good for the one hospital you receive your training from. It does not carry over to another facility nor does it allow you to go to another state to work as an RN.

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    Pay is not everywhere the same and you should consider the hours made. I know a lot of jobs that get overtime paid, nurses don't get that often (especially independent contractors).
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck if the $80k is for a RN with an associate's or it's a BSN, they don't need anymore money. I like most nurses, I work with a few of them, we don't need to kiss their ass like they are the second coming.

    Cost of living is also lower in areas where salaries are lower, WI RNs average 70k a year. So I'm not sure what your point is, apparently your argument is that 70k a year is destitute level poverty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yes you linked Wisconsin and apparently the average salary there is $70k a year for RNs. A friend of mine got a job right out of community college for $35 an hour in Delaware, they're not exactly hurting. And that was 2-3 years ago. Registry work (where you float from hospital to hospital as needed) is typically twice that amount per hour.

    Feel free to link those low nursing salary stats, I'm certain you're confused and are thinking of CNAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    https://nursesalaryguide.net/nurse-s...alary_by_State the lowest state rate for RNs is $57k a year in a state where the cost of living is well below the national average, nurses are fine. It is completely insane to suggest they need more money considering their education level, even accounting for the work that they do.
    You know @Celista you have been someone I've come to respect on these forums as you have seemed very genuine and sincere in your posts. The more and more you post about nurses it makes me cringe. I'm not sure if you are coming from a stance of ignorance on what nurses actually do for you, biased because you had a bad experience with one, or just plain jealousy that an RN only has to get a 2 year degree to make a living for themselves while you had to fork out $40-60k in schooling to get a BA for your job.

    I will educate you on a few things here though. First is what nurses actually do for you in the medical field. Your nurse is the person who is responsible for most of your care while in a hospital outside of having a surgery and even then your nurse is who actually cares for you once you are out of surgery. Doctors don't push meds. Doctors don't do most of the treatments. Doctors don't spend more than maybe 10-15 minutes with you a day if you're lucky. Your nurse is who looks after you. Your nurse is who calls the doctor who gives him/her phone orders for what treatment to give to you if your condition changes. If you code while in the hospital, you know who's responsible for saving your life? That's right a NURSE is. Almost every single hospital has a code team and it is 100% nurses. Nurses follow protocol and get you alive. This is both the RN and CNA that will be bringing your ass back to life not a doctor. I don't know what bad experience you had with a nurse that makes you hate them as much as you do but I am personally offended by your posts about nurses I've seen on here. That is MY profession as well as most of my family's profession.

    You may think that nurses are overpaid and that they don't go through enough training in your eyes to constitute their pay but let me tell you this. That teacher making less money than a RN who "only" had to go to school for 2 years isn't saving lives literally on a daily basis. That secretary at an office isn't having to do 20-50 continuing education hours (must be done OUTSIDE of work too btw on your own time) every single year in order to keep your license like a nurse does. That chef that went to culinary school isn't going to kill someone if he messes up his dish (and if he does a NURSE can help save the life of the person he gave a food allergy ingredient to).

    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think some posters are out of touch here. There are two receptionists at my vet clinic who make $12 an hour and have master's degrees in biology and english. Average 1 bedroom is $1500/month here. Those are not isolated cases, I see and hear stories like this all of the time. People with MBAs applying for receptionist positions,etc. These are the resumes I get on my desk at work.

    I doubt your wife is getting offers anywhere significantly under the WI state average and since the two of you are married you are relying on two incomes, I am sure you are fine. When I see people complaining about money being made well above the national average/living wage I typically encourage them to count their blessings, gain some perspective and live within their means.
    This is where I have a lot of issues with you on. You seem to project other people's choice in their schooling with how much you feel they should be making. Do you realize how many Starbucks baristas have an Bachelor's/Masters in English, philosophy, History, or other "useless" majors? There's quite a few of them. The reason for this is the usefulness of the major while looking for a job. If you don't want to teach English, philosophy, or history then there are very few jobs out there to make use of your degree. Basically those people wasted their money on a degree that won't do shit for them other than look good hanging on their wall. Yet you complain about nurses only needing a 2 year degree and making a good living. Should everyone be paid according to the amount of school they completed? If so, I think you should tell Mark Zuckerberg he needs to give up his billions since he dropped out of college his sophomore year. Maybe you should tell Bill Gates he needs to get a more education-appropriate paying job since he too dropped out of Harvard during his sophomore year of college. I guess Steve Jobs's family should donate all his money to charity since he too dropped out of college and never got a degree. Just because you see receptionists at your vet clinic making $12 a hour while holding master's degrees doesn't mean shit. If they have a masters in biology as you claim, they should probably try looking for a better job than being a receptionist. I believe you when you say they have a masters in English because, well as I said above, there aren't many jobs out there outside of teaching English that utilize a degree (even masters or PhD) in English.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2019-04-24 at 08:37 AM.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    CNAs in your state get paid very well. According to the national average, top tier CNAs get paid $15.95 per hour while median pay is only $12.30 SOURCE I live in California where the cost of living is much higher than in Oregon and your average CNA only makes $30k per year. In the city I grew up in (Visalia, CA) the average RN's pay is only $55k per year starting out. That's well below your $80k in Oregon, the national average, or state average of California SOURCE. Not quite sure where you're getting your information but most CNAs I know that live around the nation would be very happy to be making $15 an hour because most are getting $10-13 even after having 5-10 years experience.

    You should also read up on comparing salaries of RNs nation wide before spouting what you are saying about them. Where you live (Oregon) has a low cost of living yet nurses are one of the highest paid there. If you view this SOURCE you'll see that the other states that are higher/as high for RNs in the nation are Hawaii, California, and Massachusetts which all have very high costs of living and then Alaska which has the pay it does because the NEED for nurses is so high because nobody wants to live there.



    To obtain your RN you only need to have an associates degree. To do any form of nursing management you have to have your BSN. Now what a hospital requires is completely besides the point as some require just your AA and others require your BSN even for entry level RN jobs. Most states even offer what's referred to as a diploma program for RNs but those are pretty shitty if you ask my opinion because they are only good for the one hospital you receive your training from. It does not carry over to another facility nor does it allow you to go to another state to work as an RN.









    You know @Celista you have been someone I've come to respect on these forums as you have seemed very genuine and sincere in your posts. The more and more you post about nurses it makes me cringe. I'm not sure if you are coming from a stance of ignorance on what nurses actually do for you, biased because you had a bad experience with one, or just plain jealousy that an RN only has to get a 2 year degree to make a living for themselves while you had to fork out $40-60k in schooling to get a BA for your job.

    I will educate you on a few things here though. First is what nurses actually do for you in the medical field. Your nurse is the person who is responsible for most of your care while in a hospital outside of having a surgery and even then your nurse is who actually cares for you once you are out of surgery. Doctors don't push meds. Doctors don't do most of the treatments. Doctors don't spend more than maybe 10-15 minutes with you a day if you're lucky. Your nurse is who looks after you. Your nurse is who calls the doctor who gives him/her phone orders for what treatment to give to you if your condition changes. If you code while in the hospital, you know who's responsible for saving your life? That's right a NURSE is. Almost every single hospital has a code team and it is 100% nurses. Nurses follow protocol and get you alive. This is both the RN and CNA that will be bringing your ass back to life not a doctor. I don't know what bad experience you had with a nurse that makes you hate them as much as you do but I am personally offended by your posts about nurses I've seen on here. That is MY profession as well as most of my family's profession.

    You may think that nurses are overpaid and that they don't go through enough training in your eyes to constitute their pay but let me tell you this. That teacher making less money than a RN who "only" had to go to school for 2 years isn't saving lives literally on a daily basis. That secretary at an office isn't having to do 20-50 continuing education hours (must be done OUTSIDE of work too btw on your own time) every single year in order to keep your license like a nurse does. That chef that went to culinary school isn't going to kill someone if he messes up his dish (and if he does a NURSE can help save the life of the person he gave a food allergy ingredient to).



    This is where I have a lot of issues with you on. You seem to project other people's choice in their schooling with how much you feel they should be making. Do you realize how many Starbucks baristas have an Bachelor's/Masters in English, philosophy, History, or other "useless" majors? There's quite a few of them. The reason for this is the usefulness of the major while looking for a job. If you don't want to teach English, philosophy, or history then there are very few jobs out there to make use of your degree. Basically those people wasted their money on a degree that won't do shit for them other than look good hanging on their wall. Yet you complain about nurses only needing a 2 year degree and making a good living. Should everyone be paid according to the amount of school they completed? If so, I think you should tell Mark Zuckerberg he needs to give up his billions since he dropped out of college his sophomore year. Maybe you should tell Bill Gates he needs to get a more education-appropriate paying job since he too dropped out of Harvard during his sophomore year of college. I guess Steve Jobs's family should donate all his money to charity since he too dropped out of college and never got a degree. Just because you see receptionists at your vet clinic making $12 a hour while holding master's degrees doesn't mean shit. If they have a masters in biology as you claim, they should probably try looking for a better job than being a receptionist. I believe you when you say they have a masters in English because, well as I said above, there aren't many jobs out there outside of teaching English that utilize a degree (even masters or PhD) in English.
    .
    I feel like I articulated myself very well here and think you have a bias that is blind to you because you are going into this profession. In my opinion if you have any usable graduate degree you should be able to get at least a job that pays you a liveable wage. Once a profession has a living wage we do not need to advocate for more. We need to work on paying other people more.

    I am not jealous of nurses, I know more than most because I was accepted to nursing school among my many career considerations lol and got my CNA at some point as it was required for admission. I did my premed coursework during undergrad and applied. Imo what nurses do at the basic RN level is boring bullshit and the appeal of dressing changes and dispensing meds was not appealing as a career option. I am happy with my JD and my MA. If I were to get more coursework at this point it would be a PhD.

    You are so blind that you ignored the post I tagged you in before about the dangers of long shifts with the research I linked and decided to twist this into me hating nurses. That is ridiculous. Do you know who else saves lives, paramedics and they get paid shit. I think we can do better than to kiss the ass of a profession because it is currently popular to do so, every dollar you throw at someone who makes enough to survive on is a dollar you are taking away from someone who cannot pay their rent. That is not hyperbole, that is how our economy works.

    Imo I have zero respect for nurses who chose nursing due to things like money and 4 day weekends and you sound like one of them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •