Poll: Do you try to buy goods made in your home country?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Made in the USA

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Made in the USA

I'm and American and have always tried to make an effort to try and buy products made in the USA. I recently have decided to try and do a little experiment to see if I can buy 100% American made products... no, no major purchases like automobiles but day to day stuff... groceries, clothes, etc. I guess it's part curiosity and part trying to do my part to support American manufacturing. It has proven difficult and more expensive but to me it's sort of fun and offers a bit of fulfillment.

My question is it worth it to you to buy goods made and manufactured in your home country?

I try to buy things local in general.

No. If my countries products want to compete, they should do so by being cheaper, or being better. Not from my charity.

I try to buy local veggies/fruit because they taste was better than something that had to travel for days through half of Europe.

Otherwise I dont really care

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Generally no. As if I did I'd hardly be able to eat exotic fruits. Or buy trousers for everyday wear. Or buy most cars.

I try to buy food that's as locally sorced as is good. So local steak and milk. But there are limits.
    - Lars

No, don't really care. I buy what I like, if it's Portuguese it's just a plus.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Generally no. As if I did I'd hardly be able to eat exotic fruits. Or buy trousers for everyday wear. Or buy most cars.

I try to buy food that's as locally sorced as is good. So local steak and milk. But there are limits.
    Totally off topic but are Saab and Volvos expensive there too like they are here in USA?

No, I'm not nationalist to such a fanatic degree. I buy things based on which item gives me the best result on quality/price ratio for any given need, and not because of nationalism.

It’s all bullshit anyway. I worked for a very well known aftermarket auto parts company years ago and their claim was that they only purchased from American companies. Well, this is true. They would buy from American distributors that had parts made in Korea. I know it’s not the exact same, but they are t being truthful is the point. Something made in the USA maybe assembled here but a good portion of the time, the components required for assembly are made in foreign countries.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually work for a USA manufacturer. When we sell in the USA we always put on 100% Made in the USA, but when we sell internationally we take that off our brochures and sales materials.
    It seems domestically we love to feel that we are buying locally. But in the international eye, nobody thinks it's a bonus to be made here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    I'm and American and have always tried to make an effort to try and buy products made in the USA. I recently have decided to try and do a little experiment to see if I can buy 100% American made products... no, no major purchases like automobiles but day to day stuff... groceries, clothes, etc. I guess it's part curiosity and part trying to do my part to support American manufacturing. It has proven difficult and more expensive but to me it's sort of fun and offers a bit of fulfillment.

My question is it worth it to you to buy goods made and manufactured in your home country?
    Origin doesn't mean much to me. I go with Quality and Price. If I buy something, and the quality is crap, I simply don't buy it anymore, and will buy the product from a competitor.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the best I can do is to buy from an American distributor. I'm often pleasantly surprised if the tag or label says "Made in America", but that seems to be pretty rare.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have always bought what I feel is the best deal for the money. If I tried to limit what I buy to only made in the USA, then I would seldom find what I want. Now if it was possible and easy to buy a USA product and it was just as good a deal as the one not made here, I would pick it every time.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    UK made stuff is generally either bad or expensive, or both, so no.
    Speciation Is Gradual

No, my country barely produces anything, even if i buy something produced in my country its made from foreign produced polymers/parts.

Quality of product and how satisfied I am with it, followed by practical availability, are higher priorities to me than country of manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    No. If my countries products want to compete, they should do so by being cheaper, or being better. Not from my charity.
    Small business can't compete against National/Global corporations...

I tend to go for quality over quantity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I never look for made in America and it's fairly evident when it is. Generally it's 2-3 times the cost and fails quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post

You need to google every single purchase just to be sure. Just saw on the news yesterday that the biggest car exporter in the US is .... BMW. This would never have occurred to me had I not been told.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    It’s all bullshit anyway. I worked for a very well known aftermarket auto parts company years ago and their claim was that they only purchased from American companies. Well, this is true. They would buy from American distributors that had parts made in Korea. I know it’s not the exact same, but they are t being truthful is the point. Something made in the USA maybe assembled here but a good portion of the time, the components required for assembly are made in foreign countries.
    Works the other way around too btw. If you buy an LED lamp made in china, chances are that the components are produced in the US and then assembled in China. The west produce a ton of stuff at the moment due to automation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    I completely agree to buy something in high end manufacturing that is 100% made in the US is damn near impossible. Smart phones, autos, electronic appliances have parts from so many different parts of the world it might be logistically impossible to find any of those that are 100% American.