Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    N Word
    Just say nigger, you fucking fag.

- - - Updated - - -

Old article but.. fuck it this is "Disabled" as fuck.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kers-plan.html

Genius plan. I'm sure the words "Access Inclusion Seekers" people are gonna catch on quick. Almost nobody I have ever met has ever considered someone with a "D*********" someone who should be mocked and ridiculed because of said word.
    Let's call them Disabable.

Daily Mail article designed to create outrage from the anti-SJW crowd.

Anyone who thinks the Daily Mail is a reliable source is disabled.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, words. They hurt. It's like saying Voldemort. Twitch is also so SJW. Say a forbidden word once, and you're out!

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Genius plan. I'm sure the words "Access Inclusion Seekers" people are gonna catch on quick. Almost nobody I have ever met has ever considered someone with a "D*********" someone who should be mocked and ridiculed because of said word.
    Or, you know, try to calm down.

It's one person's ("Mr Tonga's") opinion which is being sensationalised because that's what the Daily Mail does.

That being said, there is still a lesson to be learned from this opinion: Words have a way of gaining meaning as pejoratives. For example: "Retard". So the response is often to ostracise those words. But unless we deal with the underlying problem, namely that some people out there feel the need to use pejoratives in the first place, all that does is shift the problem and those same people then start twisting formerly acceptable words to take on the pejorative meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Or, you know, try to calm down.

It's one person's ("Mr Tonga's") opinion which is being sensationalised because that's what the Daily Mail does.

That being said, there is still a lesson to be learned from this opinion: Words have a way of gaining meaning as pejoratives. For example: "Retard". So the response is often to ostracise those words. But unless we deal with the underlying problem, namely that some people out there feel the need to use pejoratives in the first place, all that does is shift the problem and those same people then start twisting formerly acceptable words to take on the pejorative meaning.
    What problem?
    Words with universally negative properties cannot be alleviated in any way.
    Like, the word is not bad because its being used as a pejorative, it was bad to begin with.

The only solution would be for those things to not exist in the first place, tall order though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah I'm just gonna keep saying disabled. Not only is it a correct label, but if people are so soft skinned they find it offensive, it's just a bonus to see them get pissed off.

Trying to think up another softer word for disabled is just being intellectually dishonest
    Last edited by Trassk; 2019-04-24 at 11:44 AM.
    #boycottchina

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    How the fuck is the word "Disabled" offensive? What's next, handicapped an offensive word? Unable an offensive word? Where does it end?

I am disabled, I have dyspraxia I am less able than normal people I don't want or need some twat vitue whore telling me what does and doesn't offend me.

I've worked with disabled people and I have disabled people in my family, I'm also technically a disabled person, and with that said I can say that what this mayor is doing is beyond condecending.
    Disabled people aren't idiots, they might be blind, deaf, lack a limb or whatever. They don't need to, nor do they want to be, coddled and treated with this disgusting condecention and disrespect.

What really really gets to me is how this person says that "Social attitudes to disability have already changed and almost no one stigmatises and diminishes what people with disability can and should achieve" but that is exactly what they themselves are doing. Social attitudes have NOT changed, many disabilities are still DEEPLY stigmatised, and disabled people are dimished everywhere because of people like this Mayor.

The only people who ever care about this dumb stuff are people who AREN'T disabled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    I am disabled, I have dyspraxia I am less able than normal people I don't want or need some twat vitue whore telling me what does and doesn't offend me.
    There only doing is because their the ones seeking offense, it's not for disabled people but themselves.
    If I was in a wheelchair unable to walk, and needed to pull myself into the toilet each morning with my arms, the last thing I'd want is some entitled virtue signaller claiming 'your just as able as everyone else, don't belittle yourself!". That's more demeaning then the reality of the situation.
    #boycottchina

Why, you are behind the times! People are differently abled now (as if able was a verb).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    No they shouldn't be banned but using them in a derogatory way should be criticized.

Honestly my take is label people how and if they want to be labelled. Dont go around calling people things like this without making sure they are comfortable with it.

Obviously it is a bit more difficult on the internet

- - - Updated - - -

I love how little provocation it takes for people to start saying the n word on this forum
    Sooo in that case it would be right to call blacks niggers bcs that´s how they call themself all the time? I mean regarding to what you just wrote...

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demasiados View Post
    What problem?
    Words with universally negative properties cannot be alleviated in any way.
    Like, the word is not bad because its being used as a pejorative, it was bad to begin with.
    Not true. The meanings and implications of words change over time according to how they are used.

Here's a very clear example: Autistic.

Autism is a very specific condition. But calling people "autistic" is a common insult used by gamers. The result is that "Autistic" is becoming synonymous with "Stupid" which obviously is offensive to people who actually have (or care about people with) the condition of autism.

It's such a common thing to pervert words descriptive of some human condition into a demeaning pejorative that most people don't even notice it. Here are a few more:

"Dumb"
    "Retard"
    "Gay"
    "Girly"

The only solution would be for those things to not exist in the first place, tall order though.
    What I am saying is that those words come into existence for legitimate reasons, but are perverted over time to take on bad meaning. The problem isn't with the words, but with the people who decide to use them as pejoratives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    I can say that what this mayor is doing is beyond condecending.
    The only thing the mayor did was to hear Mr Tonga out. That doesn't mean she has any intention, or is seriously considering acting on his ridiculous suggestion. It's the daily fail ffs. Their entire business model revolves around deliberately sensationalising non-stories and presenting them in such a way that they are drastically distorted.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2019-04-24 at 12:42 PM.

Not true. The meanings and implications of words change over time according to how they are used.
    The meaning didnt change because its still being used in the medical field,it just gained another meaning to it.

Now it has two:
    Literal : a condition
    Figurative/spiritual : behavioural pattern

Autism is a very specific condition. But calling people "autistic" is a common insult used by gamers. The result is that "Autistic" is becoming synonymous with "Stupid" which obviously is offensive to people who actually have (or care about people with) the condition of autism.
    Again, having autism is negative. Its not like it became so when people started using it figuratively.
    Using it that way does not make fun of/demean actual autist. How does one make that leap?
    It's such a common thing to pervert words descriptive of some human condition into a demeaning pejorative that most people don't even notice it. Here are a few more:

"Dumb"
    "Retard"
    "Gay"
    "Girly"

What I am saying is that those words come into existence for legitimate reasons, but are perverted over time to take on bad meaning. The problem isn't with the words, but with the people who decide to use them as pejoratives.
    Again, i did not make autism into a bad thing. It was bad to begin with. You are the one deciding its demeaning. Like now you've define using a word as also doing more than just that, namely making fun of autistic people.
    Calling you autistic, does not mean i have something against autistic people.

My question, does the figurative usage make the word less serious or more serious? In comparison with the condition itself.

I would say less:
    Last edited by Demasiados; 2019-04-24 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Yeah nobody is going to call me a retard in the 20 years because of my disability
    I mean, as I see it "retarded" was first used as an euphemism too. It only meant they had retarded intellectual development, sounds better than idiot or fool to me and is quite clinical.

So yeah, people come up with new words to get rid of any negative connotations, but then these new words get used and guess what, new negative connotations appear. Who would have guessed. Seems to be what this mayor believes happened with the word "disabled", but it says more about his own prejudice than anything else to be honest.

We're going to change "autistic" to "autastic". You know, like "fantastic".

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

What is it meant by "access inclusion seeker", someone who seeks an inclusion of the access type?

What the heck is that, i can't understand it as a non-english native.

Quote Originally Posted by Pentai View Post
    What is it meant by "access inclusion seeker", someone who seeks an inclusion of the access type?

What the heck is that, i can't understand it as a non-english native.
    Non-native myself.

[access inclusion] seeker
    seeker of access inclusion
    a person who wants to be part of something people with unhindered access/ability (able-bodied) are capable of accessing/doing

Not going to bother reading the Daily Mail, but here's my thoughts:

The term disabled implies that the person in question has something "wrong" with them. Society has generally been designed for the "average" person, meaning that an outlier would become "disabled" because society was not designed with them in mind.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Non-native myself.

[access inclusion] seeker
    seeker of access inclusion
    a person who wants to be part of something people with unhindered access/ability (able-bodied) are capable of accessing/doing
    Oh, now i feel stupid. "Accessibility seeker" would do just fine though.