Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Recently saw a video about SWtoR in 2019 and how awesome and alive it is... is it?

I want to hear from the players themselves, NOT some rando YouTuber that makes these types of videos for a living.

I first pre ordered when it was announced and haven't touched the game since then. I stopped playing because my computer, which I thought was good, couldn't run it.

Years later, im looking to jump back into it and yes, I have significantly upgraded (several times) computers. My PC can run anything you throw at it.

So, is this game alive? Pro's? Con's?

Thank you all for your time.

Yes it’s alive and has a more positive and vibrant and humble community than WoW the F2P restrictions are a bit awful but become prefered status and it becomes great!! Play on Star Forge if you want to RP and do the biggest of PvE or if not play on Satele Shan which warning has no RP
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't have a big playerbase, it basically took wildstars spot imo. It would be safer to play GW2 , ESO or FF14 (assuming you tired of WoW) which actually get regular content updates and don't look like they were developed in 2004.

Well it could Wildstar anytime now, I wouldn't put effort into it.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    This is the most depressing line I've read all morning.

But I mean thanks for your honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post

Well, actually, they recently announced a new expansion, on the 14th of april. When I play, I personally find it to be quite active. They merged the servers, so it's a lot better. Never had any problems getting into an activity.
    (Best part about returning for me was getting into a Master FP or Vet Uprisings as a Merc healer, and people being impressed, getting compliments. Just that I know, I still got it, haha)

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20190413

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

It's no where near wildstar numbers.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    They announced an expansion to be launched in September so ummm nope? I have recently returned with the sole goal of experiencing the story part of the game should the game die in any coming years and the content lost forever. It seems moderately active, definately more social than WoW.
    S.H.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I want to hear from the players themselves, NOT some rando YouTuber that makes these types of videos for a living.

I first pre ordered when it was announced and haven't touched the game since then. I stopped playing because my computer, which I thought was good, couldn't run it.

Years later, im looking to jump back into it and yes, I have significantly upgraded (several times) computers. My PC can run anything you throw at it.

Don't bother. Its a single player game pretending to be an MMO, they even trashed the Flashpoints by making them role agnostic now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    They announced an expansion to be launched in September so ummm nope? I have recently returned with the sole goal of experiencing the story part of the game should the game die in any coming years and the content lost forever. It seems moderately active, definately more social than WoW.
    More social than wow? Are you serious? You can easily go weeks without talking to another player in swtor.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good Single Player experience if you just chuck $15 into it for a Month and play through one of the Better Class Storylines. There still is an active community, but it is by no mean large as of recent years.

Though it looks like EA and/or Bioware have given some of the Devs from Anthem back to Swtor as they have quite a few updates coming this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Don't bother. Its a single player game pretending to be an MMO, they even trashed the Flashpoints by making them role agnostic now.

- - - Updated - - -

More social than wow? Are you serious? You can easily go weeks without talking to another player in swtor.
    I meant as the players are much more eager to engage in social activities and chit chat than in wow. At least thats what I experienced in my last week of swtor vs bfa from launch until april.
    S.H.

due to prefered status it has more active players than WoW does (seriously), so you'll find activities much faster, also if you're into PvP SWTOR has rated solo queue which wow never implemented, its fun as fuck BUT the biggest downside for me is the optimization, its an old game and different from wow it hasnt updated its engine or ran better. even on a 8th gen i7 with a 1660 you'll still experience fps drops

Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    nice signature

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I always come back to SWTOR for a few months every couple months, and am reminded every time how much I like this game It's not got all the polish that WoW has and it frankly doesn't tend to have as much content (though considering BfA it might be closer right now) but what it does have is quite enjoyable. Especially as a first-time player you'd be in for a real treat going through the original class storylines. And the upcoming expansion later this year looks to be solving some of the issues players didn't care for and improving the game in general.
    Loved this game for the single player experience and the storylines involved (Imperial Agent still my fave), but sadly the endgame is why I stopped playing.

If your a fan of Star Wars and enjoy a good story, this game is totally worth at least a couple months subscription in order to experience it. It's not a fantastic MMO, simply because the MMO centric content is not it's strongest aspect. You can play through the entire story single player, but that doesn't make it bad...it just makes it a single player experience within an MMO.

IMO, it's a great game...just not a great MMO. You can have all the same interactions in a guild and do all the MMO content if you want, but it's not necessary to enjoy the game. But IMO it's absolutely worth playing and dropping at least a one time, one month subscription on to get all the story content it has to offer.

Sith Warrior/ Rage Juggernaut is one of the most fun and enjoyable classes and storylines I've ever experienced.

Registered again, just to correct one guy and answer this question.

I still play WoW, but i have mainly played SWTOR for the last 4 months, so i can give you pretty good impressions.

So, like every mmo, theres 2 experiences. Leveling+story and end-game.

Story is great. They made leveling easier and theres even level boosts. But like with most mmo's leveling is just a means to an end. You do get something every level or two, so the pacing is quite good, but you will reach cap before finishing everything. It is a nice journey, and you can skip it all on alts if you just want to skip to end-game on Ossus.

End-game makes wow devs look like they are sheltered lazy people, because with limited resources, the swtor devs made a much better job. First CXP. gets you a crate with gear, transmogs, tokens, mats, pets or mounts. It blows AP out of the water. Makes everything in the game feel rewarding.
    Class design, more advanced. Where in wow you got 4 button rotations on average, i'd say swtor has 7 button rotations in average. A lot more depth to the classes. The talent system also is mostly about utility and survivability than wow's damage output ones.
    Crafting. All levels of mats are valuable and useful.

Robust!!! guild system. Guild levels, HQ, space ship, customsable perks, and conquest system, wich pits guilds against each other in a system that allows them "control" of a planet in name. I do believe it unlocks a special vendor too. You get vital rewards for your minimal weekly participation, used to craft the best augs in the game.

All content relevant! Through command system, all content is rewarding and all content now scales as well. There is no obsolete content.
    I will list warzones and huttball as a plus as well. If you are not getting farmed by a pre-made they are great fun.

Now the minuses. The engine has come a long way. It's much better, but theres still one major problem in the performance department wich leads to either targets being all over the screen as the game tries to determine their location or abilities not working properly because of it (charges only going half the distance and the sort). This kind of issue is more annoying in PvP when it happens, but it doesn't happen constantly. I dunno what factors in. In world boss groups on Ossus with 30m groups, your fps is gonna tank badly.

There were issues like win trading in ranked arenas. Maybe more than in wow theres a severe pre-mades vs randoms in battlegrounds/warzone that really made me quit pvp in WoW and will make me quit in swtor too.

In conclusion, your gameplay loop ends up with a great guild commitment and the conquest system objectives, wich tends to result in more social activity. Ossus world bosses and operations/raids, FP/dungeons and PvP are there too, and theres challenging raiding in Hard mode and nightmare more operations. It's tough to tell it all, but i am impressed with how every system in the game is interconnected and you always got something to do (i didn't even mention starfighter and strongholds).
    Because of the conquest system, guilds will run all sorts of events in an effort to gather points. world bosses, operations, flashpoints, heroic missions, etc. It populates all kinds of activities.

I guess i should mention the cartel market. Theres a lot of cosmetics in there. There is also the possibility of buying the best gear with credits if you throw rivers of money at it and sell the stuff you get on the AH/GTN. They need to fix that imo, but it is a pricy endevor most won't do.

It just has me in awe that WoW devs are wasting away their resources. If WoW had these systems it would be amazing. If swtor had wow's resources and used them to fix technical issues, it would be amazing too. But, one is closer to it than the other atm, imo. I don't hate BfA btw. Love WoW, but playing Swtor these last few months made me realise how complacent wow devs became when they thought they were the biggest mmo, so why even look at what the competition is doing? So, i don't like the wave of negativity in wow atm, but i guess the wake up call is necessary. I am more excited for Onslaught than 8.2.

Anyways, yes, i recommend it. SWTOR is much improved from launch and is a great mmo. I am expecting it to see growth now. They have slowly been fixing the engine, i just hope they manage to clear that hurdle and then just pump out content. I am daring to hope again.

It is also worth mentioning that the last 2 expansions weren't well received cause of the focus in single player, but that has changed since a year ago and the game is now in a good multiplayer focused path (with a bit of SP story still).
    By all means worth it for the story content, but the end game is engaging as well for all kinds of players. If had to choose one between this and wow, i'd choose this. But, i don't. So, i play both. But i only do weekly raiding (reduced to one evening a week) and some mythic+ with some guild buddies. But, i wouldn't be playing wow atm, if not for those people.

PS: Wow devs made us think housing is a dirty thing no one needs. SWTOR showed me how it's not only addicting to decorate your own game space as it complements every other activity in the game with rewards. WoW devs are fools for having overlooked it and i would love to see them bring housing to wow next xpac... with the tinker class. Fingers crossed.
    The one thing i missed from wow were pet battles. They would fit swtor really well (droid battles, yeah!). Pets feel boring without it.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2019-05-06 at 12:53 AM.

wait for classic.

If you're a oceanic player, don't bother. There's no oceanic servers anymore, so best you're going to get is roughly 200 ms, which in 2019 is un-fucking-acceptable.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    If your a fan of Star Wars and enjoy a good story, this game is totally worth at least a couple months subscription in order to experience it. It's not a fantastic MMO, simply because the MMO centric content is not it's strongest aspect. You can play through the entire story single player, but that doesn't make it bad...it just makes it a single player experience within an MMO.

IMO, it's a great game...just not a great MMO. You can have all the same interactions in a guild and do all the MMO content if you want, but it's not necessary to enjoy the game. But IMO it's absolutely worth playing and dropping at least a one time, one month subscription on to get all the story content it has to offer.

Sith Warrior/ Rage Juggernaut is one of the most fun and enjoyable classes and storylines I've ever experienced.
    I love my noble demon. Especially when dealing with jedi.

"SIIIIIITTTHHHHH YOU ARE SO VIOLENT AND TERRIBLE!"

"Uh... Hi, nice to meet you? I just want the shiny rock."

"I WON'T FALL FOR YOUR MINDGAMES! *attacks*"

*Fight ends predictably*

"CURSE YOU AND YOUR VIOLENT WAYS! WHY DID YOU ATTACK ME!?"

"I just wanted the rock. I'm not here to kill anyone, least of all you. kthxbye."
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    I love my noble demon. Especially when dealing with jedi.

"SIIIIIITTTHHHHH YOU ARE SO VIOLENT AND TERRIBLE!"

"Uh... Hi, nice to meet you? I just want the shiny rock."

"I WON'T FALL FOR YOUR MINDGAMES! *attacks*"

*Fight ends predictably*

"CURSE YOU AND YOUR VIOLENT WAYS! WHY DID YOU ATTACK ME!?"

"I just wanted the rock. I'm not here to kill anyone, least of all you. kthxbye."
    I've played the SW storyline at least 4 times and playing it full Light or full Dark are both incredibly cringey, IMO. Full Light makes it seem like you're a pansy and full dark makes it seem like you're a brainless meathead brute.

My favorite is a healthy mix of the two, leaning slightly Light, only because the majority of the DS choices end up showing you to be a brainless, ruthless killer and LS tends to show you have a little more self control and can think before just lashing out like a bratty child.

You're still a Sith, just not a bratty one that goes and kills everything and everyone any time you get triggered and throw a temper tantrum...you know how to act like a adult.