Poll: Which is true?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Mainstream: Is the World Wrong?

I'm a hipster who sees who stupid and formulaic and cheesy everything is. My dad tells me I need to become "normal" so I can get a job and live life to the fullest. So I took his advice and started ignoring the blatant intellectual compromises on mainstream releases so I could enjoy them. Ignored the cheese of Camila Cabello's hit single. Started listening to too-catchy pop like Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift. Honestly, I'd rather listen to metal, but it just feels so lonely. Like, who has even heard of Immortal? And it's even more lonely to feel that you're in the right and the entire world is wrong, that money doesn't equate to quality. I can sum it up this way:

The whole world is right and I am wrong.
    Most of the world believes in a deity, which means the vast majority can be wrong.

So which is it?

Being wrong is the only way to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    The world is a series of subcultures. I'm sure you can find your people. It's not like everyone disagrees with you.

Some things will be more popular than others, because there's a distribution of reactions to everything that converges on a norm. It's fine - just like what you like and move on. There's no need to critically assess other people's inane choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I'm a hipster
    You coulda just stopped right there.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Almost thought Fascinate was trying to post again but it's almost as bad really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk what you are, but the "I lisssen to rock and metal" and everyone else lissen to normal music bla bla bla bla bla bla.
    All I can think about is this;

While its not "mainstream" it is extremly common to be into rock/ metal.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about neither. Sometimes you agree with mainstream views, sometimes you don't, and that's fine. Sometimes its advantageous to go with the mainstream, sometimes it isn't, sometimes it doesn't matter.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this a joke thread?

This feels like a joke thread.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Almost thought Fascinate was trying to post again but it's almost as bad really.
    As bad as you keeping tabs on my posts?

7+ Year Old Account
    If you are a hipster then yes you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    If you are a hipster then yes you are wrong.
    Prove it, ‘cause I think you are. (Wrong, that is.)
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2019-05-01 at 12:32 AM.

Didn't hipsters go extinct in the great "It's current year" war?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow hating things because they're popular instead of whether you like them or not. What a hot take.

7+ Year Old Account
    Prove it, ‘cause I think you are. Wrong.
    You're a hipster so it doesn't matter what you think.

You are not as unique as you think you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are slated to be who they are by either conformity or going against the grain. However neither really has much to do with actually identity or who is particularly right or wrong.

In the case here there is no issue. How can a flavor of ice cream be wrong, or a favorite color?

The answer is, there is no such thing.

Variety is the spice of life, what you like or dislike is based on whatever metric you want to apply. And as for populism, most people with given enough experience and time tend to develop their own independent taste.

If they are honest, they will know it's ok to like whatever it is you start off with, or whatever you seek that is in common, but later you simply come into your own, get comfortable in your own skin, and instead of saying this is shit, and that isn't.

You'll likely come up with oh I like this, I see the appeal of this, but I like this better, or I like this other thing a whole lot, regardless to populism.

The only time populism becomes a problem is when it's politics and folks legislate by it. Not always a bad thing, but it is a problem when what people want to legislate is the preference of some, at the expense of others, for no actual logic or reason.

And then we have to collectively come to an understanding about who's right or wrong.

However what music you like, honestly not so much.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

As bad as you keeping tabs on my posts?
    If by "keeping tabs" you mean they pop up on the front page then yes, I am "keeping tabs".

I like Immortal
    I'd rather be lonely and enjoy myself, than be some mainstream dork, who thinks Foo Fighters is metal

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm a hipster who sees who stupid and formulaic and cheesy everything is.
    Formulaic is good when it comes to everyday life. When you want to break out of the formulaic loop you do something creative. Write a song, paint on a canvas, invent a new gadget, etc.