Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ice hockey world championships 2019

So, the world championships are about to start, in just over a week, in Slovakia and like always it feels like hockey christmas.

1) Who do you root for?
    2) Who do you think will win?
    3) Any particular player you're keeping an eye on?
    4) Will Great Britain survive, or will they get sent back to B-level?

for me:

1) Sweden, naturally.
    2) Russia looks insanely strong, so sadly I think they'll win with players like Nikita Kutjerov and Alexander Ovetjkin. It would be nice to get three golds in a row though!
    3) Elias Pettersson. He's our new super star.
    4) Sadly not, which sucks as Sweden is not in the same group as them and it would be fun to face them!

Russia and the U.S look particularly strong this year. I haven't seen Canada's roster yet, but I guess they'll manage to get a team capable of gold like always. Czech republic and Finland? I heard Finland's team this year will be extremely weak, sadly, with no Laine or Granlund.

Sweden has a strong team, but I think we lack proper snipers now that both Filip Forsberg and Nicklas Bäckström declined their invitations. Henrik Lundqvist, Elias Pettersson, Erik Gustafsson and such will be a blast to see though! We'll most likely reach the bronze game.
    Last edited by Deathknightish; 2019-05-01 at 02:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Finland's priority is to stay in the A division.

0 NHL players (2 guys who have played some games in NHL this year, but not full season or in a big role) when all other top 6 countries have full or nearly full NHL teams. All small countries have more actual NHL players than Finland as well.

This is bound to be the biggest disaster ever unless some miracle happens.

EDIT: And not only the NHL players, Finland is missing 99% of its KHL players as well. There's like 1 or 2 guys from KHL, the team is going to be full SM-liiga with a couple of guys from AHL/Elitserien/NLA/KHL.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Finland's priority is to stay in the A division.

0 NHL players (2 guys who have played some games in NHL this year, but not full season or in a big role) when all other top 6 countries have full or nearly full NHL teams. All small countries have more actual NHL players than Finland as well.

This is bound to be the biggest disaster ever unless some miracle happens.

EDIT: And not only the NHL players, Finland is missing 99% of its KHL players as well. There's like 1 or 2 guys from KHL, the team is going to be full SM-liiga with a couple of guys from AHL/Elitserien/NLA/KHL.
    Ouch, that sounds even worse than I thought.

Wasnt there some other year a few years back you struggled to stay alive? What was the team like then?

Also, just a small nitpick. The Swedish league hasn't been Elitserien for like 5 years. It's SHL nowadays, Swedish Hockey League, or Svenska hockeyligan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finnish team is going to be crappy this year. Just bad luck with most NHL players either having injuries or contract negotiations. Unfortunately for us, doesn't look like we're getting help from Carolina either (Teräväinen and Aho would have been nice - though Aho also has contract negotiations).

Eh there was nothing wrong with Saros, he just didn't want to go and used injury as an excuse. I know several Preds turned down invites because of injury and according to Poile the only player that had anything was Grimaldi.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hah, team Finland has been revealed! It's interesting to see how they fare, because they were super good in the last EHT tournament against full NHL teams - I was literally speechless after the Russia game... they overexceeded everyone's expectations. Literally zero NHL players (Lammikko and Jokiharju played like half a season in NHL, half in AHL/eating popcorn)

The team:

Goalies
    30 Kevin Lankinen, Rockford IceHogs
    35 Veini Vehviläinen, Kärpät
    45 Jussi Olkinuora, Pelicans

Defensemen
    4 Mikko Lehtonen, HV71
    7 Oliwer Kaski, Pelicans
    28 Henri Jokiharju, Chicago Blackhawks
    40 Petteri Lindbohm, Lausanne HC
    50 Miika Koivisto, Dynamo Moskova
    55 Atte Ohtamaa, Kärpät
    58 Jani Hakanpää, Kärpät
    70 Niko Mikkola, San Antonio Rampage

Forwards
    12 Marko Anttila, Jokerit
    15 Arttu Ilomäki, Lukko
    19 Veli-Matti Savinainen, Kunlun Red Star
    20 Niko Ojamäki, Tappara
    21 Juhani Tyrväinen, HIFK
    24 Kaapo Kakko, TPS
    25 Toni Rajala, EHC Biel
    27 Eetu Luostarinen, KalPa
    41 Joel Kiviranta, Sport
    65 Sakari Manninen, Jokerit
    71 Kristian Kuusela, Tappara
    76 Jere Sallinen, Örebro HK
    82 Harri Pesonen, SCL Tigers
    91 Juho Lammikko, Florida Panthers

So it's:
    2 "NHL"
    2 AHL
    4 KHL
    2 SHL
    3 NLA
    13 SM-Liiga
    Last edited by Puupi; 2019-05-05 at 08:33 PM.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

I didn't have any expectations for Finland but damn they played well against Canada, and 3 points!

This Finland team has played together for a long time so they have good chemistry and no superstars to take down the spirit with their egos, e.g Ristolainen. Will be though to defeat Russia, Sweden or USA but nothing is impossible as long as they play as a team as they did against Canada.

As already stated, a lot of Finnish NHL players have reasons to not play but some do not. It's sad to see that other countries get their players and Finland can't. Hopefully this will change. Not even sure I would want Ristolainen in a World Cup or something where all the NHL players play, big ego and can't be arsed to play for Finland even though he never go to the playoffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not much else to say, but Kaapo Kakko.

NHL ready already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kakko > Hughes

I want us Slovak to get to semis, third-place would be nice.

Russia, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Canada battling it out there. I reckon SVK 4th place, with Fin/Russia going for 1st/2nd and Czechs or Canada getting third.
    -K

Sweden has really been struggling. 5-4 against Latvia yesterday.
    Luckily, it's normally a good sign as we usually win the gold when we struggle in the group stage, and fall flat on our faces in the quarter finals or semis when we perform well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Heh, Finland steamrolled Sweden! SM-liiga team vs NHL team.

Who do the devils take? I wonder and ponder, but a two man race...American or Finnish?

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean it's not like NHL is end all be all. Lot of great players all over the different leagues. At the end of the day, it's how the team plays together.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Who do the devils take? I wonder and ponder, but a two man race...American or Finnish?
    They gotta take Jack Hughes. He's who I'd take, just because a good center is like, fucking a rarity. Kaako is great, but wingers are everywhere.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope the Devils pick Hughes first, because Rangers > Devils as a franchise and organization.

[QUOTE=Puupi;51232076]I hope the Devils pick Hughes first, because Rangers > Devils as a franchise and organization.[/QUOTE

If only you had grown up in NJ during the run they had 94-09, hockey at it's best imo (defense should be a priority vs scoring, and good goaltending is irreplaceable and teams who can score are utterly useless to this line up), but patience has taken a back seat to flashy play and lights. Just difference in opinion...

MSG can't even get their main show in order (Knicks), hockey is just a side show and wont be a priority for a few years.

15+ Year Old Account
    And Russia bites the dust! Finland is in the gold medal game woooooooooooooooooo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Miracle on ice v2.0

They sure did and the way Sweden played, Finland deserved that.
    Hope you guys win it all. Keep up the good work.

Amazing that this team is in the final. Will be proud of them even if they lose but if they play like they have in the knock-out stage then we should win gold today!