Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What?

You think big discounts won't be coming to the Epic store? And publishers are never, not once, obligated to put their games on sale. Valve has some sales requirements (that are usually waived for AAA titles anyways), but if a publisher doesn't want to put their game on sale, or on deep sale, they literally never have to.
    I would be really surprised if there will be sales or big discounts on Epic. In fact i would be willing to bet money that they won't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I would be really surprised if there will be sales or big discounts on Epic. In fact i would be willing to bet money that they won't do that.
    Why? They have been giving away games for free for awhile now, and pretty great games at that, Transistor, World of Goo, Subnautica, Slime Rancher...

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Why? They have been giving away games for free for awhile now, and pretty great games at that, Transistor, World of Goo, Subnautica, Slime Rancher...
    That was advertisement and Epic paid the Publishers for those games. Do you think they'll pay them for their losses on sales, too?

They currently have a discount on the game Observation. The pre-purchase is listed at $24.99 and has a "you save" of $2.50 for a final price of $22.49. If they are already doing small discounts there is no reason to believe that they won't have sales or other discounts in the future. Even other sellers are doing their own version of the steam annual sales. It is almost an industry standard at this point. Though given they are trying to change the industry standard they could very well forgoe those major sales for smaller more "normal retail" ones.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

That was advertisement and Epic paid the Publishers for those games. Do you think they'll pay them for their losses on sales, too?
    Of course it's advertisement, and of course it was Epic paying for those keys...

Also, does Steam or Origin pays developers for the amount "lost" on the sales they make?

I wouldn't invest in a career in fortune telling, then - https://www.pcgamesn.com/epic-games-store-megasale

Literally just leaked their first major sale.

I wouldn't invest in a career in fortune telling, then - https://www.pcgamesn.com/epic-games-store-megasale

Literally just leaked their first major sale.
    That... really surprises me.
    Arent't almost all their games brand new? Why are they doing a sale so soon? Not selling enough copies?
    I wonder what the discounts will be.

Why are they doing a sale so soon? Not selling enough copies?
    See, this is you coming in with a hard negative bias that colors literally everything related to Epic.

Why do a sale so soon? Because they're expected. Every single storefront has regular major seasonal/holiday sales, EGS was always going to get them eventually as well. It has nothing to do with not selling enough copies and everything to do with competing in the current market. If they don't join in on these sales, they risk losing their audience to other platforms. Pretty standard business 101 shit.

See, this is you coming in with a hard negative bias that colors literally everything related to Epic.

Why do a sale so soon? Because they're expected. Every single storefront has regular major seasonal/holiday sales, EGS was always going to get them eventually as well. It has nothing to do with not selling enough copies and everything to do with competing in the current market. If they don't join in on these sales, they risk losing their audience to other platforms. Pretty standard business 101 shit.
    I knew you'd like that sentence
    But no they don't risk anything by not having a sale. They have exclusives, that's their business model.

But no they don't risk anything by not having a sale. They have exclusives, that's their business model.
    They do. You keep looking at their business model with blinders on - sales and exclusives are both a part of the same strategy for market success.

Exclusives drive new user acquisitions, primarily. They're used to build up a userbase within the store.

Sales, as they're a market standard, are a part of retaining those new users by competing directly with the sales offerings of competitors.

Neither are mutually exclusive approaches, and I'm sure if they didn't have a sale you'd be here shouting to the heavens about how anti-consumer not having sales similar to their competitors is. It's easy to take literally any news and spin it as a negative with just a modicum of effort.

... so does every other platform ._.

Even exclusives can drum up more sales by having a sale. It is why literally every store does it. Including amazon on amazon-only products like the Fire TV stick.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Even exclusives can drum up more sales by having a sale. It is why literally every store does it. Including amazon on amazon-only products like the Fire TV stick.
    Except for Nintendo, who seem to only put their games on sale once in a blue moon and their consoles even less than that. And most of those kinds of sales are like 15% off, which is basically saving the tax for a lot of us Canadian consumers due to 13% taxation on everything we buy.

Congrats to the 11 fools who made the ignore list, your ignorance knows no bounds, bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Except for Nintendo, who seem to only put their games on sale once in a blue moon and their consoles even less than that. And most of those kinds of sales are like 15% off, which is basically saving the tax for a lot of us Canadian consumers due to 13% taxation on everything we buy.
    Once in a blue moon is still doing it. So Nintendo is not an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Once in a blue moon is still doing it. So Nintendo is not an exception.
    They're also not competing with the storefronts that regularly do deep sales on PC, so it's not even relevant for the current discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    ... so does every other platform ._.
    Except that other platforms also develop their own exclusives or contract them directly, rather than just trying to purchase them off of everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Except that other platforms also develop their own exclusives or contract them directly, rather than just trying to purchase them off of everyone else.
    Except... they also have their own video games in it? Let's now discuss how many you need to avoid this outrage, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Epic does make games, even if they're only a few active ones nowadays. And they also make an engine used to create games, many of which are on their store. And they also provide grants (i.e. free money, not loans to be paid back or investing in companies to acquire a stake in them) to create games (and other software), some of which may eventually end up on their store.

That... really surprises me.
    Arent't almost all their games brand new? Why are they doing a sale so soon? Not selling enough copies?
    I wonder what the discounts will be.
    Sony (Microsoft probably has one too) has a sell every year in Nov-Dec where recent games are marker 10-30% off. Games that came out as little as a week prior get marked down. It has nothing to do with games 'not selling enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Sony (Microsoft probably has one too) has a sell every year in Nov-Dec where recent games are marker 10-30% off. Games that came out as little as a week prior get marked down. It has nothing to do with games 'not selling enough.
    Yes but apparently this whole sale is paid for by epic, the publishers still get the full price for each sold game (from what i've heard). It's a strange sale and, even if Edge doesn't like to hear it, it really makes it look like the store is not selling as much as one is made to believe.