Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What are your two cents on ''Sonic'' movie redesigning the eponymous erinaceidae ?

(I was rightfully mocked for saying in previous threads that he was a rodent. Nope. Erinaceidae)

Allegedly redesigning, should I say, because of fan outcry.

In this case, and all other cases, I'm quite against. Not because of the quality excepted from a movie starring an anthropomorphic erinaceidae with attitude and lots of friends that would commonplace on DeviantArt +18 sections, but because of the rather vague meaning of fan.

To take this example, who is a ''real'' fan of the hedgehog ? Someone like me, who bought the Genesis games and even a Sega CD ? Someone who enjoyed the SATAM cartoons and bought the Archie comics, while is not yet on a FBI watchlist ? (this is sarcastic).More récents fans ? Or someone who is complaining the loudest ?

If you dont write homoerotic fan fic about sonic and knuckles exploring the nature of speed and sensuality , you arent a fan

15+ Year Old Account
    There already a big thread about the movie where this is being discussed, no need for another.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ailer-imminent
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    If you dont write homoerotic fan fic about sonic and knuckles exploring the nature of speed and sensuality , you arent a fan
    Even there, there are degree in perversion. For instance, penning a yaoi doujinshi about Genesis era Knuckles ramming airbone attack is almost high littérature compared to the same, but with Sonic BOOM Knuckles.

Every sonic "fan" is autistic. Idk what attracts them like a moth to the light, but its true.

Idk who's looking to watch this movie but it got a lot of negative attention from ppl. Prob in their best interest to redesign him.
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2019-05-07 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Infracted for trolling

Honestly, I always thought Sonic looked terrible even in the games so the movie Sonic is just something to send to Sonic fans to annoy them.

10+ Year Old Account
    so do people not know how to use the forums? or that there is a MOVIE section for MOVIES?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Does it really matter? From the trailer it’s pretty obvious the movie is gonna be awful what sonic looks like won’t change that:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Honestly, I always thought Sonic looked terrible even in the games so the movie Sonic is just something to send to Sonic fans to annoy them.
    no its because paramount desperately needs a box office hit to stay in the black.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so do people not know how to use the forums? or that there is a MOVIE section for MOVIES?
    This was meant as a thread on listening too closely ''fan'' feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    His design will have 0 impact if the movie will be good or not. They will for some reason spend more money on the VFX to change the design which will make them lose even more money because of their stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    (I was rightfully mocked for saying in previous threads that he was a rodent. Nope. Erinaceidae)

Allegedly redesigning, should I say, because of fan outcry.

In this case, and all other cases, I'm quite against. Not because of the quality excepted from a movie starring an anthropomorphic erinaceidae with attitude and lots of friends that would commonplace on DeviantArt +18 sections, but because of the rather vague meaning of fan.

To take this example, who is a ''real'' fan of the hedgehog ? Someone like me, who bought the Genesis games and even a Sega CD ? Someone who enjoyed the SATAM cartoons and bought the Archie comics, while is not yet on a FBI watchlist ? (this is sarcastic).More récents fans ? Or someone who is complaining the loudest ?
    You don't have to be a Sonic Fan (however you want to define it) to understand that the design they have for Sonic in the movie is fucking awful. I am not really a Sonic Fan...the only Sega system I even owned was a Game Gear...and I hated that piece of shit (Battery life on the thing was abysmal.) so the only sonic game I ever really played was on that.

First off, the CGI is piss-poor. It looks like something from a low budget 90's movie.

Second, He's way too anthropomorphic. He doesn't really resemble a hedgehog at all. For a character named "Sonic the Hedgehog"...I should be able to see the Hedgehog.

To ilustrate both of these points...here's a comparison between Sonic and another well known anthropomorphic mammal brought to live action film:

This:

vs. this

There's no mistaking Rocket for anything other than a Raccoon (unless you're Thor)
    Sonic However...If it weren't for "The Hedgehog" part of his name...I wouldn't go there at all.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-05-06 at 08:15 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's not a true sonic movie without a cameo by ugandan knuckles trying to find his way in life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Does it really matter? From the trailer it’s pretty obvious the movie is gonna be awful what sonic looks like won’t change that:
    Precisely.

The movie looks stupid.

As for listening to feedback, paramount needs this to be a success; they're not in the best place financially. If it were any other studio I'd doubt they'd care.

Which is a good thing; fans should not have preemptive say in the direction of a film (or video game, or tv show.) They're not filmmakers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    There's no mistaking Rocket for anything other than a Raccoon (unless you're Thor)
    Sonic However...If it weren't for "The Hedgehog" part of his name...I wouldn't go there at all.
    While the design is indeed bad, it's not like sonic ever ACTUALLY looked like a hedgehog.

At any rate, I really don't get the "sonic fandom." I liked the original sonic games just fine, but sonic fans seem so incredibly die-hard about a franchise that's... honestly not that good. There seem to be more laughably bad sonic games than there are decent ones, and it's not like the franchise has dynamite storytelling or dynamic character arcs or anything like that. People can like what they like, but... sonic fandom always sort of perplexes me. And that's ignoring all the weird fetish stuff tied up in it.

I mean, compare it to a franchise like Mario. A repetoire of solid games that's constantly pushing its boundaries. But its fans don't seem nearly as fervent as sonic's do.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-05-06 at 08:45 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think his "normal" design is too cartoony for a live-action movie.

I also think this movie shouldn't exist at all.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

While the design is indeed bad, it's not like sonic ever ACTUALLY looked like a hedgehog.
    There's truth in that...but still, I could at least some of where that hedgehog inspiration came from in the original games. With this...he's just a blue furry alien.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Creators should be receptive to fan feedback to an extent but they should never let the fans think they own the work. Which is sadly something that happens way too often thanks to social media letting fans and content creators interact and connect more easily than before.

The fandom for the most recent Voltron cartoon is a prime example. I'm generalizing, obviously, since not everyone that liked the show was crazy, but a lot of them went absolutely bonkers and harassed the creators because certain things didn't work out the way they wanted.

I don't think this applies so much to the Sonic movie though. It's clear that "real fans", normal movie goers, and even kids (who the movie is aimed at) think the design looks bad, it seems pretty much unanimous. It's an aesthetic complaint about a movie that hasn't even come out yet, not fans trying to steer the direction of a story and take the creator's vision away from them. As long as they don't overwork and underpay the animators (which is a very real concern) to revamp his design, I don't see anything wrong with it. The goal is to make money and if people hate the way the title character looks, they probably aren't going to make much money.

Of course if a creator doesn't care about making money or receiving acclaim and they just want to put their vision out into the world, then there's nothing wrong with ignoring all feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    It's not a true sonic movie without a cameo by ugandan knuckles trying to find his way in life.
    TO be fair, if Knuckles is in the movie I'm sure he will reference it in some form.

There's truth in that...but still, I could at least some of where that hedgehog inspiration came from in the original games. With this...he's just a blue furry alien.

I think the current design when it comes to the snout and eyes resembles a hedgehog... problem is that they tried to make a realistic sonic hedgehog while the game one only have the name and the caricature spikes to reference it. I'm in the opposite to your opinion, it's too much of a hedgehog atm. Makes it uncanny.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-05-06 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    TO be fair, if Knuckles is in the movie I'm sure he will reference it in some form.

I think the current design when it comes to the snout and eyes resembles a hedgehog... problem is that they tried to make a realistic sonic hedgehog while the game one only have the name and the caricature spikes to reference it. I'm in the opposite to your opinion, it's too much of a hedgehog atm. Makes it uncanny.
    The snout I'll agree with...though the game version had that part right as well. The eyes though...those are all too human looking. Hedgehogs have the kind of bulgey eyes you can see in your photo.

I'll also agree that the whole thing has an "uncanny valley" vibe to it though...though for me it's too human. I mean...those legs...those hands...even the teeth.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-05-06 at 08:49 PM.

The snout I'll agree with...though the game version had that part right as well. The eyes though...those are all too human looking. Hedgehogs have the kind of bulgey eyes you can see in your photo.

I'll also agree that the whole thing has an "uncanny valley" vibe to it though...though for me it's too human. I mean...those legs...those hands
    Yeah, the hands and feet are definitely humane like and so are the eyes, most likely they thought the UNI-eye would look weird and tried to go for more hedgehog proportions with human eyes. Instead of either going with true comic look ala detective pikachu or with anthropomorphic ala GotG they went with both of them including human traits. Sounds like someone who couldn't make a straight decision in fear of doing it wrong which turned out to be wrong.