Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Texas Republican says conditions in immigrant centers are worst he's ever seen

Texas Republican says conditions in immigrant centers are worst he's ever seen
    Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) said on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday that the conditions of immigrant detention centers in his state are the "worst" he's ever seen them, and he called on Congress to pass humanitarian aid to "take care of these children."

"We have to pass humanitarian aid to take care of these children. That is the nation we are. We have to take care of these kids. ... I've lived in that state, I've been down there throughout my 15 years in Congress and before that as a federal prosecutor. This is the worst I've ever seen it, and it has to be taken care of."
    Why it matters: Immigrant detention facilities have drawn heightened scrutiny in the wake of recent reports that suggest the government is failing to provide adequate living conditions and sanitary products for immigrant children being detained.

According to the New Yorker, children in facilities have been suffering from flu and lice outbreaks, sleeping on concrete floors and left virtually uncared for by staff. Four toddlers were hospitalized after lawyers discovered them in medically dire states at a U.S. Border Patrol facility in McAllen, Texas.
    A bipartisan push to resolve the situation has yet to materialize.
    https://www.axios.com/migrant-detent...ce033aada.html

Also, this one is pretty "funny":

Journalist and author Michael Scott Moore has suggested that his treatment at the hands of Somali pirates who held him hostage was, at least in some ways, better than how President Donald Trump's administration thinks migrants should be treated.

Moore, who was held by Somali pirates from January 2012 to September 2014 for a total of 977 days, called out the Trump administration in a Saturday tweet. In his post, the author, who wrote a memoir about his time in captivity entitled The Desert and the Sea, shared a link to a NowThis video of a lawyer for Trump's Justice Department arguing in court that the administration should not be required to provide basic sanitary products, such as a toothbrush and soap, or blankets to detained migrants.

"Somali pirates gave me toothpaste & soap," Moore pointed out in his caption above the video.
    https://www.newsweek.com/ex-hostage-...e-soap-1445409

No matter how you feel about immigration, there's no excuse for holding these people in these terrible conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something something "it's the democrats fault for making America look so appealing"

Trump apologists are unable to deal with the reality of the horrible things their support has wrought. They will bend in whatever ways possible to deflect or blame others for Trump's shitty decisions and leadership because they, like him, cannot admit wrongdoing.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

P.S. In other totally-not-concentration-camp related news, there is an ongoing protest by survivors of the Japanese American concentration camps against the Trump administration planning to send separated migrant children to one of those sites.

Japanese internment camp survivors protest Ft. Sill migrant detention center

With the Trump administration planning to move 1,400 migrant children to this fortified Army post later this summer, a small group of Japanese American World War II internment camp survivors came to the gates Saturday to make their opposition known.

“We are here today to protest the repetition of history,” proclaimed camp survivor Satsuki Ina, 75, of San Francisco, one of about two dozen former internees and their descendants in attendance.

Met by uniformed military police, the protesters, some in their 80s, were told they did not have permission to congregate and might face arrest. “You need to move right now!” one of the officers shouted. “What don’t you understand? It’s English: Get out.”

But the survivors, carrying thousands of origami cranes as a symbol of solidarity, refused to leave until police from adjacent Lawton, Okla., arrived and let them speak. They then moved to a park where a crowd of about 200 was waiting.
    https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...019-story.html

The ABA has condemned it, but what do they know, right?

American Bar Association condemns conditions at migrant child detention centers as a violation of law, 'common decency'

The American Bar Association (ABA) condemned conditions at detention centers holding immigrant children, calling them violation of law and "common decency."

"The American Bar Association is appalled by credible reports of hundreds of children being held in unsafe and unhealthy conditions in violation of federal and state law, court settlements and common decency," ABA president Bob Carlson said in a statement issued Tuesday.

The statement highlights reports alleging children and infants were held for up to two weeks at a time in "overcrowded facilities that lack the most basic of human necessities."

Carlson said that directly violates the law, which requires children must be released to Health and Human Services within 72 hours.

"The ABA calls on federal authorities to immediately end this inhumane and illegal treatment of children and provide attorney access to facilities operated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection," Carlson said.

A Justice Department lawyer suggested during a recent hearing that a toothbrush and soap were not needed to maintain safe and sanitary conditions at facilities holding migrant children.

Carlson said those conditions violate the 1997 Flores Settlement agreement, which also restricts time children can be held in immigration detention centers.
    https://thehill.com/latino/450308-am...n-centers-as-a

I shouldn't be surprised, but I hadn't learned that these detention centers were also run for profit.
    Seeing this old news on this topic, it seems like there was a slight amount of premeditation to this whole catastrophe:

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/21/56531...ant-jails-boom

I'd really like to see the chain of how this happened in this country in 2019.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

For a certain part of americans... immigrants are sub-human, that's how.

You do know the best/easiest way to avoid immigration centres, right? Simply refrain from trying to immigrate illegally and you won't end up in one. Simple but hard to understand for many.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    You do know the best/easiest way to avoid immigration centres, right? Simply refrain from trying to immigrate illegally and you won't end up in one. Simple but hard to understand for many.
    It's probably because they're stupid. I see no other explanation.
    And if they're stupid, why would you want them in your country anyway?

There you go, I got you an extra argument to guarantee the soundness of your sleep.

Make it legal, problem solved.

It's simple, but hard for so many bigots, xenophobes, and authoritarians to understand.

Remember the right wing motto

We only care about children before they are born.

That's horrible
    Why don't they just send them back?
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    That's horrible
    Why don't they just send them back?
    Nah, screw that... let them in.

I really hope you and your family drown in a boat after a major natural disaster hits your country.

Would that logic also work for death camps? Like just don't be in places illegally, and one doesn't end up in one? Simple but hard to understand for many?

Asylum seeking is not illegal nor is entering for asylum, have a problem understanding that like all right wingers?

Instead of detaining these people we could employ them to build their own infrastructure and farming land with a small amount of supplies and in 5-10 years it would have paid for itself with economic boon.

That would just be crazy though right.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    Instead of detaining these people we could employ them to build their own infrastructure and farming land with a small amount of supplies and in 5-10 years it would have paid for itself with economic boon.

That would just be crazy though right.
    trump cut aid to the triangle.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics released Wednesday that show more than 144,000 migrants were taken into custody, a 32 percent jump from April.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immig...=.cecdd74e0ce0

144,000 when we normally get what? 20,000?

You think that's going to cause crowding issues?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Democrats letting them live in these conditions so they can use them to score political points. Quiet honestly sickening.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours