Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How feasible is it to achieve Rank 13 with this much play time?

Hopefully this thread would help others possibly trying to get a idea how how realistic it will be for them to hit Rank 13, much less Rank 14. I didn't play much of retail vanilla, so I want to ask others who have reached ranked 13 or somewhat close in retail vanilla, and or maybe Nostralius, assuming it was the same as retail.

To the question: I can realistically play 5 hours a day Monday - Friday, possibly 6 to 7 some week days. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I can play up to 14 hours all three days, on average (most likely).

I suppose this is assuming I find a group/guild with consistent premades. Is it feasible with my free time to achieve Rank 13 in a somewhat reasonable amount of time, if at all?

Your input is appreciated! Again I don't want Rank 14, just 13.

Thank you!

Someone with a better memory can correct me but I feel like that isn't enough play time during peak population back during classic. For the last rank a lot of folks were having to account share and whatnot in order to get it mostly because it was dependent on how others were also progressing.

Edit: Of course these new servers may not have the same situation so whether that becomes a factor is the question. Good luck!
    Professor Johnston often said that if you didn't know history, you didn't know anything. You were a leaf that didn't know it was part of a tree. ~Michael Crichton, Timeline

My old GM had to account share back in those days to reach the higher ranks. If I remember right wasn't the system designed that you had to 'feed' one person to get those high ranks and people just rotated the feed? Gah, it seems like a lifetime ago.

Depends if the honor system works the same and on the size of your faction's pvp competitors. It's easier to get higher ranks on larger servers, if you have a server where your faction is relatively dead, you have to be the number 1 earner of honor in the week to even progress towards rank 13.

Remember though, just getting the rank is not enough, if you actually want to keep the title, you need to keep playing around the same amount every week there after. Sure, if you just want the gear, it's enough to get it once.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanGTR View Post
    Hopefully this thread would help others possibly trying to get a idea how how realistic it will be for them to hit Rank 13, much less Rank 14. I didn't play much of retail vanilla, so I want to ask others who have reached ranked 13 or somewhat close in retail vanilla, and or maybe Nostralius, assuming it was the same as retail.

To the question: I can realistically play 5 hours a day Monday - Friday, possibly 6 to 7 some week days. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I can play up to 14 hours all three days, on average (most likely).

I suppose this is assuming I find a group/guild with consistent premades. Is it feasible with my free time to achieve Rank 13 in a somewhat reasonable amount of time, if at all?

Thank you!
    I know you're specifically asking for Rank 13, I hit Rank 11 and Rank 10 on different characters, I'll give what info I can.

First of all, if Classic has a ton of popularity and one megaserver, the old PVP system is going to be totally fucking impossible to compete in. As far as how it went, you had 'standings' against everyone on your server *maybe it was just faction?*. Each standing gave you some boost upwards. That's going to be a MASSIVE problem with this. Since it's based on your HKs in comparison to other players, if theres a culture of no lifers on this server no one who has any form of a life will be able to get anywhere.

At the time, the true interest for me was the mount... if only I knew how fucking pathetically easy it would have been to get those mounts now...

Anyways, I hit standing 1 two weeks in a row going from Rank 8 or 9 all the way up to Rank 11 in just 2 weeks. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try to do that during those ranks. Hitting Standing 1 required a minimum of 14hrs a day for 7 days (summer and high school or jr high - No lifer).

What you'll realize is if you're going to have a push for Rank 13 or 14, you want to save those burnout weeks for those.

Not to mention if the community is as tight as it was back then, EVERYONE whos running that system knows each other. I had guildmates who actually got mad at me when they were pushing HWL that I took Standing 1 from them because I was playing too much. It was impossible to really know who was where at the time and me being cautious I decided to err on the side of doing more than less.

Unfortunately, I was probably well ahead and that slowed down some other people going 13 - 14.

Some drama ensued and I ended up quitting from that + just pure burnout from playing so much.

To reiterate, this was when there was maybe a core ~5-10 players seriously making the push for Ranking at any given time, and if Classic servers are ultra popular, I just seeing it being a massive shitshow. Back then none of us really knew wtf was going on, but now that we'll have a ton of fucking interest and all the addons and tracking at our fingertips, not to mention insane burnout culture powered by streaming....

I just expect people to be playing an absolutely unhealthy amount of time and the Rank 14 grind will be impossible for most players.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2017-11-13 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks for all the replies, appreciated. Yes I just want the gear, that is it.

You might need about 14-19 hrs a day. On private servers it's a bit less, because they have allowed multiple R14s (as the realms are bigger than average vanilla ones)

If it is like 2005-2006 you should just quit your RL. Especially when all servers are equally populated. Some managed to get rk14 on empty servers with the equivalent of rk10 on mine back then.

Thanks for all the replies, appreciated. Yes I just want the gear, that is it.
    It's either barely feasible and you will take months upon months of grinding to reach rank 13..

You might reach a point where your decay will be higher than the points you make each week. If that happens the only way is to play more.. The reason it's hard to reach high ranks is because each week you will lose 20% of your overall points.

Those 20% can be 20% of 50000 or 20% of 1000.

It's worth noting that the primary reason it's so hard to reach rank 14 is that there's a fixed amount of rank points you can earn each week(at standing 1). In order to progress to rank 14 it will probably take you a few weeks of getting standing 1. Get any less and you might drop in your total rank points instead.

ps: there's also a common misunderstanding among plebs regarding honor points. Honor points mean nothing by themselves. What gives you rank points is your standing at the end of the week. There might be servers where standing 1 sits at 1 Million honor and others where standing 1 is 100k. This difference can also be witnessed in the same server between the different factions. (usually the faction with more premades farms more honor)

/wisdom
    Last edited by tikcol; 2017-11-13 at 08:41 PM.

Thank you!
    I would guess you have no shot, but nobody can tell you because there is no formula to figure it out. It's not about getting X amount of honor, it's about being one of the top N players for the week on your realm and faction to move up in rank. N gets smaller and smaller as your climb ranks. I don't remember all the specific maths, but I'm pretty sure that to get 13 you'll need to be in the top 10 for multiple weeks in a row. I don't see getting in the top 10 with your playtime unless this whole thing is a failed experiment and very few people play.

I remember quite a few people giving up after hitting 10 or 11 or 12 because it keeps getting so much harder to move up. And then you'll have some new jokers come from nowhere and place in the top 3, delaying everyone else trying to bump up. You just have no control other than to keep grinding and hope it's enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Back then none of us really knew wtf was going on
    Not sure what server you were on, but on Archimonde the people in the HWL groups knew exactly what they needed to do by the time the first few rotated out. I knew people who quit their jobs because they couldn't get the number of weeks vacation they had to have to finish it off. That or they were having other people play their accounts those last 3-5 weeks.

7+ Year Old Account
    I played on a medium populated server back in vanilla with a moderately active pvp scene. There were very few alliance pvping at the time so basically my guild contained all of the first GMs and FMs. As a mage in that guild I played around 10 - 12 hours per day 7 days a week to get to rank 13 in as quick a time as was possible back then and it still took me i believe over 3 months (I started when Tarren Mill was all we had) to become the second FM on the server. I had just started raiding then as well so I decided that rank 14 was not worth the grind due to Nefarian dropping a better staff and I didn't care about the prestige since I was already regarded as the best mage on the server anyway.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2017-11-13 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post

Not sure what server you were on, but on Archimonde the people in the HWL groups knew exactly what they needed to do by the time the first few rotated out. I knew people who quit their jobs because they couldn't get the number of weeks vacation they had to have to finish it off. That or they were having other people play their accounts those last 3-5 weeks.
    Demon Soul. Truth is we didn't know what exactly we needed to do. There were no addons and the actual PVP ranking system was kind of arcane. There were general maths like ok I need X HKs to be in the running, but the system, at least from what I gathered, was a proportional system.

So for example:

Week 1:
    Player A gets 10,000 HKs for standing 1
    Player B gets 9,000 HKs for standing 2

Week 2:
    Player B gets 5,000 HKs for standing 2

Both weeks, player B could be standing 2, but because he or she had a smaller % of the highest standing, they were less likely to rank up. There were no clear #s ever given to players as to how this system worked, but there was a clear relationship between how close to you were to standing 1's numbers and how much "ranking up" you got behind the scenes.

And none of the points given (whatever the points were) had any correlation to flat HK numbers, it all seemed to be tied to a set "HK pie" and you were proportionally awarded points based on how much of that pie you got that week, not necessarily a flat Standing 1 gets X and Standing 2 gets Y.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2017-11-13 at 09:15 PM.

Firstly I dunno if this was mentioned or not but do NOT kill Civilians in World PvP. They are Dishonorable kills and they will kill your ranks. Even if you're in a group or raid if someone else kills them they count for you too. I remember pvping until I couldn't stay awake any longer every day until I got my job working 60-80 hours a week. I believe I got to rank 10 before I got my job than no more progress after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was rank 13 in vanilla, and could have gotten High Warlord but it was on a server with only 25% Horde population. Let me right away say that without a dedicated group, who pretty much agree on who gets rank 14 it is near impossible to attain. You really should start looking for a group of dedicated pvpers and roll with them. Then play more, and kill more, than competing groups.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2017-11-13 at 09:18 PM.

I raced for the top ranks with a dedicated group, on a very competitive server, you will need much more time than that.

We did a minimum of 18 hours a day, every day to get there and it took a fucking eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Demon Soul. Truth is we didn't know what exactly we needed to do. There were no addons and the actual PVP ranking system was kind of arcane. There were general maths like ok I need X HKs to be in the running, but the system, at least from what I gathered, was a proportional system.

So for example:

Week 1:
    Player B gets 9,000 HKs for standing 2

Week 2:
    Player B gets 5,000 HKs for standing 2

Both weeks, player B could be standing 2, but because he or she had a smaller % of the highest standing, they were less likely to rank up. There were no clear #s ever given to players as to how this system worked, but there was a clear relationship between how close to you were to standing 1's numbers and how much "ranking up" you got behind the scenes.
    Like I said before, I don't remember all the maths, but I'm pretty sure the only thing that matter was your honor rank for the week (and it was honor, not honor kills.) So whether #1 was 1 honor point more than #2 or if was double, I don't think it mattered in the calculations. Once you were high up, you knew who else was pvping all the time and you would inspect them to see their honor and get a good idea of who was going to place where. Ideally all the serious people were running in the same group and coordinating who would rank up when, but esp for weeks like AV bonus weekend, other jokers could sneak in there and screw stuff up.

Anyway, an add-on wouldn't really help. There is no add-on that could tell you what place you're going to come in for the week and that was the hardest part of the whole thing. You wanted to get the right weekly place to both continue to move up and not screw the people in line ahead of you. Without that cooperation it would just take longer for everyone.

You're right that there were no clear #'s given to players, but after the 8th person in your HWL group gets rank 14 after coming in #1 for N weeks in a row, it's not that hard to figure out what you need to do to go from 13 to 14. Same for the lower ranks. (Of course nothing below 10/11 really mattered - those ppl just need to grind without coming in too high.) We had people keeping track of all that shit. Of course, all that knowledge is probably gone now ... I sure don't remember all the specifics.

Thanks guys, read everyones reply. That is what I needed to know. If it's anything like it was vanilla I'll have literally 0 chance of getting rank 13 unfortunately. I am single, no kids, work 30 to 40 hours a week Monday - Friday, weekends off, and I still can't manage that kind of time investment. The idea of getting a full set of PvP gear and Anathema on a vanilla Spriest is really nice though, but it's definitely doubtful to happen.

Account sharing would be a trick too. First you haft to find someone that is on a whole entirely different life schedule then you are. They haft to be interested in the same class, and getting that rank. The said person has to be someone you trust, and I'd guess generally somewhat decent at PvP.

I guess I/we can hope they have maybe 3500 to 5k max pop servers (multiple servers), no cross realm (no battlegroups), and maybe it would be feasible. As most of us hope vanilla classic servers will be as authentic as it was in retail vanilla, myself included. So I guess I will be happy to just eventually get Anathema.

Again guys, awesome replies, awesome info, thank you.
    Last edited by BryanGTR; 2017-11-14 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I was rank 13 in vanilla, and could have gotten High Warlord but it was on a server with only 25% Horde population. Let me right away say that without a dedicated group, who pretty much agree on who gets rank 14 it is near impossible to attain. You really should start looking for a group of dedicated pvpers and roll with them. Then play more, and kill more, than competing groups.
    Very good point. If you're not in an organized group you have no shot at all unless the server is totally dead. Because there will be an organized group running and those people will be winning WSG matches all day in 7 minutes or less and you'll have no chance to keep up.

There is a really good read here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...m-back-in-2005
    I love reading about this kind of stuff. That was the best r14 story I could find. He says patch 1.8 increased the percentage so it should be tiny bit easier

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    Very good point. If you're not in an organized group you have no shot at all unless the server is totally dead. Because there will be an organized group running and those people will be winning WSG matches all day in 7 minutes or less and you'll have no chance to keep up.
    That is pretty much how we attained all the rank 14s. Farm Alliance in WSG with an organized group of pvpers. Assign who will be rank 14, and then play a lot. The more competition, the more you need to play. Considering that the population caps will probably be higher than during vanilla on the new servers, the competition will be tough unless they allow more rank 14s.