Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    There aren't now but one day there will be.
    Sure, but not for decades, probably even centuries.

Space piracy won't be a thing until there's a massive economy involving space. Likely involving asteroid mining or common traffic between Earth and other planets and moons.

It's not something to start worrying about right now.
    Putin khuliyo

5+ Year Old Account
    Well I mean who the fuck else is going to stop Ridley and Mother Brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

Space piracy won't be a thing until there's a massive economy involving space. Likely involving asteroid mining or common traffic between Earth and other planets and moons.

I can't really see it happening, I mean space ships would have to be cheap enough for the pirates to afford. And then the cargo would have to be valuable enough to offset the price of supplies and risk of damage to the vessel plus paying the crew.

Plus you would need an effective way to stop and bored target vessels.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-05-21 at 08:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Uhm, couldn't fighter jets simply shoot down any pirate "ships" leaving earth?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    I can't really see it happening, I mean space ships would have to be cheap enough for the pirates to afford. And then the cargo would have to be valuable enough to offset the price of supplies and risk of damage to the vessel plus paying the crew.

Plus you would need an effective way to stop and bored target vessels.
    And attempting to capture another ship traveling on an Alcubierre drive at many times the speed of light in a vast and practically empty galaxy where objects are separated by literal light years going to be no simple task.

If were using wormholes then probably impossible.

Nah, if thievery is going to happen, it'll be at spaceports or transport while on the surface of a planet/moon.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a thing called the Kessler Syndrome. If there are enough satellites in space and you blow one or two up, the debris can be enough to wipe them all out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Jokes on you, the space pirates were trained by Sandra Bullock.
    Yeah, I've taken enough physics and also played enough billiards to aim things towards Earth. Anything not blown up will burn up. Because that's how the Horde does things!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Explain how, then.
    Im sire if you told people from a few hundred years ago about todays technology they would say the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess start worrying about it when it's to late? Obviously it's not a threat now but at least you have the insight to realize it will be a real thing unlike most of the other posters in here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im sire if you told people from a few hundred years ago about todays technology they would say the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess start worrying about it when it's to late? Obviously it's not a threat now but at least you have the insight to realize it will be a real thing unlike most of the other posters in here.
    When it starts to be a potential, if it starts to be a potential, threat, then yeah. But right now, it's a waste of money.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and before you start diverting tax dollars to it, one would hope those would be answered... even a few hundred years ago. After all, if they started expanding resources on protection against Nostradamus’s iron birds, it would be very stupid. Just a reminder, Newton published his work on gravity, less than a 100 years before USA was founded. Theory of relativity is just a bit over 100 years old, with its impact being seen as critical to our understanding, being under 60 years old.

So... a few hundred years before Theory of relativity and gravity, what sort of space protection could you actually have? Basing it on modern technology is idiotic, trying to predict the future of technology, is Star Wars... not the Reagan one...

Start worrying about it, when you know what it, actually is.

- - - Updated - - -

When it starts to be a potential, if it starts to be a potential, threat, then yeah. But right now, it's a waste of money.
    Potential threat? We can start when it becomes close to viable, to make sure it’s not too late. If you think TSA is stupid, imagine how stupid it would be, before commercial flights were even a thing.

I do wonder what gun rights advocates think of Ted Cruz wanting to ban guns in space.

Last edited by Felya; 2019-05-22 at 01:35 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

- - - Updated - - -

Things lockedout is okay spending taxes on: The off chance that in 500~ years humanity has colonized distant planets and the need to haul valuable freight has given rise to those who would steal it.

Things lockedout is not okay spending tax money on: anything that would help him or his fellow man in the present.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Well at least they're being honest now.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a thing called the Kessler Syndrome. If there are enough satellites in space and you blow one or two up, the debris can be enough to wipe them all out.
    Blowing up a satellite is actually rather tricky. There are 4, maybe 5, nations on the planet with anti-satellite capability (USA, Russia, China, India, and maybe Israel). For comparison, there are 9 nations with nuclear weapons.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

- - - Updated - - -

It's like developing antivirus software for an abacus.

Technically we need to defend against the arachnids of Klendathu first, but then we can take out the space pirates later.

Cruz does have a point though, gotta watch out for those space pirates.

So is this threat imminent and in need of addressing now, or hundreds of years off where current planning will be wasted given the massive technological changes during that period?

Asking for a friend.

'Mr Cruz, your ideology is leaking...'

In this morass of stupidity there is actually a kernal of interesting ideology that reveals a lot about his politics.

What he is actually saying is the reason he thinks that the Navy and other armed forces exist. Not to protect people. Not to defend from aggressors. But to protect commercial interests.

What is actually saying is that he thinks the state is responsible for guaranteeing the security and stability of private investments.

What he is saying is that is that it is the responsibility of the poor to pay, both in money and blood, to protect the privileged position of those richer than them.

What a great guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So is this threat imminent and in need of addressing now, or hundreds of years off where current planning will be wasted given the massive technological changes during that period?

Asking for a friend.
    Imagine telling people in the 1800s how important it will be to prepare to protect airliners against hijackings.
    Putin khuliyo

Imagine telling people in the 1800s how important it will be to prepare to protect airliners against hijackings.
    I think it'd be closer to warning Julius Ceaser about the dangers of nuclear reactors melting down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Well at least they're being honest now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    I think it'd be closer to warning Julius Ceaser about the dangers of nuclear reactors melting down.
    Friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your ears! For Chernobyl* will be a fine example of the dangers of nuclear power when it explodes nearly two thousand years after your deaths!

*the HBO show is pretty good by the way
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your ears! For Chernobyl* will be a fine example of the dangers of nuclear power when it explodes nearly two thousand years after your deaths!

*the HBO show is pretty good by the way
    I’ve posted spoilers through the years here... just FYI if you ever check my posting history.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Space pirates? No.
    Actual space forces of foreign enemy countries posing some kind of threat to your intelligence and communication network in space, far more possible, and probably should at least be invested somewhat into, to assure that you aren't suddenly being blindsided.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.