Poll: Is the adversity score a good idea for the SAT

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Because maybe the have been hindered from having a chance to shine.

Don't get me wrong, I believe this whole concept needs A LOT OF WORK to make it make sense, but it's not bullshit. It is true that some people are just terribly unlucky childhood / adolescence and trying to find a way to help them later in life to reach as high as they could, is definitely a step in the right direction.
    It's a weird juxtaposition of arguing life isn't fair in a thread about a system trying to make things more fair. And I'm honestly curious what happens if low scoring people have to lower their education prospects because they had the audacity to have a stable life so they're can be more openings for people with high adversity.

It's tricky in my book because of the limited spaces in higher education. And now I'm curious. In your personal opinion, what's harder:

One parent that does what they can to be involved in their child's education.
    Two parents who don't particularly care what their child does.

Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    When you grow up in a ghetto, it's much harder to avoid all the temptations that would lead you away from long term success. You grow up without a parent telling you to read a book before bed every night, or parent to make sure you do your homework.

What people here don't seem to understand - it's okay, we're the WoW crowd, so we're predominately white and higher class - is that it takes a lot more willpower and drive to succeed when you're of the poor and disenfranchised. Most of us are socialized as children to follow paths that lead to success, and we have the financial resources to live in neighborhoods with fostering communities, and have skilled teachers because skilled teachers get to choose the best places to work.

A poor kid getting straight A's in the ghetto has had to avoid the crowds telling him to join their gang, or try out these cool drugs, or try the rap game because it's the cool thing to do. A rich kid getting straight A's is pretty normal, because everyone around him has parents telling them to go to college, everyone around him knows college is a must, and that they have to do their homework, and make sure they do their instrument practice each night.

When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression.
    Getting straight As in a lot of city schools, you basically have to be a perfect autodidact, and an obsessive researcher. In a lot of schools, it's multiple students to one book, the book stays at school, it's decades out of date, and they're all missing pages, if not entire sections.

Great idea. America isn't trending towards socioeconomic mobility. I'm surprised the good people of MMO-C oppose this by majority. Temporarily embarrassed millionaires again?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by helebelemon View Post
    Great idea. America isn't trending towards socioeconomic mobility. I'm surprised the good people of MMO-C oppose this by majority. Temporarily embarrassed millionaires again?
    lol do you think everyone who is not a millionaire would benefit from this? The middle class doesn't benefit from this. In fact middle class college applicants would be pushed down relative to people who didn't score as high.
    Last edited by PC2; 2019-05-17 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    When you grow up in a ghetto, it's much harder to avoid all the temptations that would lead you away from long term success. You grow up without a parent telling you to read a book before bed every night, or parent to make sure you do your homework.

What people here don't seem to understand - it's okay, we're the WoW crowd, so we're predominately white and higher class - is that it takes a lot more willpower and drive to succeed when you're of the poor and disenfranchised. Most of us are socialized as children to follow paths that lead to success, and we have the financial resources to live in neighborhoods with fostering communities, and have skilled teachers because skilled teachers get to choose the best places to work.

A poor kid getting straight A's in the ghetto has had to avoid the crowds telling him to join their gang, or try out these cool drugs, or try the rap game because it's the cool thing to do. A rich kid getting straight A's is pretty normal, because everyone around him has parents telling them to go to college, everyone around him knows college is a must, and that they have to do their homework, and make sure they do their instrument practice each night.

When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression.
    Yeah I'm sorry not all parents or communities of parents care very much about the success of their children. But this acts to punish those who do.

All this does is make degrees even more meaningless.

7+ Year Old Account
    So when they fail out with thousands in debt with no safety net like the "privledge" kids they will be extraordinarily more screwed. How would they be expected to handle college with such a shitty k-12 education? Will they also get extra easy classes?

I'd like to see the graduation rates of the current kids in college that barely got accepted, I'd imagine there would be a high drop out rate. This has good intentions but requirements are there for a reason, not some arbitrary priviledge level cut off.

450 free points and a subject weight change was not enough?

Hopefully these affirmative action graduates stick to the Arts.
    Last edited by infinit; 2019-05-17 at 11:18 AM.

I mean, if they're concerned some students come for conditions that can hamper their ability to score high, shouldn't the conditions themselves be addressed over bs like this?
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    This reads like something out of a bad marxist dystopia. Do you support this?
    About that.

One side believes "just be you, there is no right way to be you."

The other side believes "there's only one way that correct way in seeing the world. The other side wants everyone to see the world the same way with their message that everyone should be allowed to be different so they are clearly CULTURAL MARXIST!!!" Because logic and irony utterly fails people who think overly emotional.

Yes, where you're from does affect your academic prowess. The amount of resources your parents have helps you.

I have higher education and realise that I'm an exception rather than the norm. I'm the only one on my side of the family that has such a degree of education.

My parents were pretty much unable to help me with anything related to my homework past my 9th grade as that was their highest level of education.

I'm what's known as a pattern breaker and I recognise academic privilege when I see it because I certainly had none.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to increase funding for education so that low income areas don't have shitty schools?
    Hahahahahahaha

You are funny.
    That would be the start of a solution, good luck with the current administration. Keeping poor people poor and dumb keeps them in power, so that's never going to happen

Oh and the poll perfectly reflects that.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

imagine you’re hiring a lawyer to represent you in a lawsuit over a traffic accident and after losing the case and having to pay a big settlement you realize the guy’s ‘JD, nyu law school’ only happened because of an adversity score and he’s a complete idiot who just happened to be of african american descent.

Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sat-adv...playing-field/

This reads like something out of a bad marxist dystopia. Do you support this?
    This is an example how some smart people are fucking stupid.

Looks like I'm gonna claim I'm living with my poor single uncle in the shitty part of town lol. I dont see this getting abused at all...

Reminds me of my boss telling me about her kids trying to get into college and the available scholarships. Applied to all the gay ones cause what are they gonna do? Watch you do gay stuff to prove you're gay lol? What a joke.

The idea is that these tests were written by a specific type of person, and so similar people are more likely to do well on these testss. And if you aren't similar, it will be more difficult because those non-similar people grew up with different cultural experiences... as in IQ testing is trash and silly, as it was only meant to help show reading levels in grade school to assist teaches in seeing who they need to help.

We recently had a similar thread about this idea, I think it was about facial recognition programs being more likely to work on white males...

Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    So when they fail out with thousands in debt with no safety net like the "privledge" kids they will be extraordinarily more screwed. How would they be expected to handle college with such a shitty k-12 education? Will they also get extra easy classes?

I'd like to see the graduation rates of the current kids in college that barely got accepted, I'd imagine there would be a high drop out rate. This has good intentions but requirements are there for a reason, not some arbitrary priviledge level cut off.
    If the dumb kids who paid their way to ivy league schools (both legally and illegally) didn't get kicked out or drop out I am sure they will do just fine.

I am glad we don't have that kind of standardized testing here, at least not when I was in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I'm not upset. I just called you out on your argument that completely undermines your own point.

Life isn't fair.
    It doesn't, it was a nuanced point lol. We should promote equality of opportunity because of adversity and because inequality deepens over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Life isn't fair.
    What a terrible argument.

Okay, let's take the case of Montero Lamar Hill. Age 20, a high school graduate. He's black and his high school was predominantly black. He didn't get much of an education because his school wasn't very good.

He wants to go to New York University to learn about music, something that he loves, but his SAT scores are lowish. Should he be admitted?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland