Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'll admit I was one of the biggest detractors of Classic before it was announced for this exact reason. A fractured playerbase would definitely be an issue but I've come to realize the situation is greatly exaggerated on forums like this. The endless Classic vs. Retail debates occur here because of the overlap of people who post on forums and people who currently play on private servers. As a result, there's an extremely minor yet vocal subsection of players posting here who are so completely delusional about Classic that they can't handle the mere implication that playing Blizzard's Classic supports the retail version of the game. (Side note: These are typically the people who somehow think "retailer" is some kind of insult.)

I suspect most people could give a single fuck one way or another. At the end of the day, all Classic does is provide more intrinsic value to the current retail WoW subscription. It's something extra to do when you're bored with the retail game (and best case scenario, possibly vice-versa if you "come back" for Classic).

Classic is -- and always will be -- for people who are interested in playing the retail version of the game. Both communities can (and imo, will) peacefully coexist without being at odds with one another. The manufactured outrage on these forums isn't an indication of how things will play out once it's released.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2019-05-19 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I predict nostalgia purists a.k.a special snowflakes will remain on classic realms because they think they achieved something in their little heads.
    But that means they will have to continue paying, which many went PS, becasue it was there and free. They would not hav epaid for it. Oh what am I saying, many still play retail eventhough they constantly bash everything Blizzard.

It'll be just like OSRS and RS3. However we don't know who will become what in terms of that relationship - as OSRS are way more hostile to RS3 players than the inverse. We'll see if that happens as Classic develops, I'm almost betting retail will hate classic as for some reason​ there has always been a stipulation that it'll ruin retail to people.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    It'll be just like OSRS and RS3. However we don't know who will become what in terms of that relationship - as OSRS are way more hostile to RS3 players than the inverse. We'll see if that happens as Classic develops, I'm almost betting retail will hate classic as for some reason​ there has always been a stipulation that it'll ruin retail to people.
    OSRS and WoW aren't really comparable. They're two entirely different MMOs with two entirely different playerbases. It's literally apples to oranges.

I agree with you on the last bit that it remains to be seen what happens with Classic but even the extremely unlikely "worst case scenario" (oh no more people play Classic than retail) is a positive since it just means Blizzard will continue to have the necessary resources to develop the retail game.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
    Absolutely, I actually enjoyed Legion MM Hunter it wasn't as bad as people were complaining about as I had more movement then than I do now for example I have 4 High lvl hunters only 1 of them made it too 120 as I couldnt put myself through that shit again and I've played Hunter since Vanilla and people talking about the dead zone forget about wing clip and then dashing away to reget your range or to let your pet reget agro.
    Yeah same, the hunter was my first char that I made, and had it as main/main alt through all these years, and I have favored Marksman in all of them(except BM macro in last half of TBC), but with BfA it's just not fun to play imo. Had a blast in Legion. So many aspects of the spec was awesome and I miss that a lot. AoE, ST, mobility, nuke, trueshot, aimed shot spam, marked shot spam. Mythic+ as MM was so fun, especially when you could add those numbers with the belt and the shoes. Didn't need them, but those big yellow numbers was the icing on the cake :P

I didn't mind the removal of the dead zone, but it had a certain charm, definitely.

There is already split between Warcraft and WoW fans. Another schism will be fun.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Goodbye human hunters!

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I predict nostalgia purists a.k.a special snowflakes will remain on classic realms because they think they achieved something in their little heads.
    Just curious, what led you to comment this?

I think you significantly exaggerate.

Quote Originally Posted by awadh View Post
    When you can't clear current content that is actually hard on Mythic difficulty, you gotta go back to Classic, to content that playing characters with 1-2 button rotations that is easily facerolled by pretty much anybody that raided norma/heroic nowadays. Gotta keep that ego inflated!
    when the MMO genre and especially wow becomes so degenerated that its players think raiding is the only thing that matters in an MMO. And its not that the majority cant clear mythic, they just dont care.
    Last edited by plato13; 2019-05-20 at 07:38 AM.

I won't have any hostility, I'll play classic mainly, and play retail casually for Mythic+ and do a heroic clear every week.

the only annoying thing is streamers and their fanatic followers

Dont think theres any or much hostility. I am gonna be maining Classic tbh and have retail to do a m+ here and there. I just miss Vanilla so god damn much... cant wait to be a Nelf Rogue and listen to the music again... having a REAL sense of community once more, no cross realm BS. so yeah - I LOVE WoW and I am actually quite happy with BFA and 8.2 is shaping up to be badass. but - Classic for me all the way.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

The playerbase has always been divided. On pretty much everything.

The only thing they ever agree on is that the current expansion sucks. This has been the case since at least Wrath, and probably started during TBC.

I've not always seen positively on the development of classic servers as I saw it as essentially a waste of development time that could be better spent improving retail for those of us who are still enjoying it.

I've come to be fine with it though. If anything I've been looking forward to the release of classic as it'll hopefully get rid of many dissenters who are playing retail just because sunk-cost fallacy is convincing them that they still have to play a game they're no longer enjoying because they used to enjoy it once upon a time.

Unfortunately I also foresee a lot of gloating from people who've come to resent retail who will do anything to smear it in people's faces that classic is somehow better than retail because xyz.

I won't personally be playing classic. I'm very much over that style of gameplay and I'm quite enjoying retail. But I'm nevertheless glad that the people who prefer classic have the option available to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Vocal minority etc.

Why can't it just be like:
    Sam: "Hey, I really like Classic WoW!"
    Alex: "You do? Cool. I prefere retail!"
    Sam: "Oh really? Cool."
    Alex: "How come you like Classic?"
    Sam: "It's fun!"
    Alex: "I see, same reason why I play retail!"
    Sam: "Cool!"
    Bob: "I like both!"
    Alex and Sam: "Cool!"

Then they played together with Bob and everyone was happy. The end.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

When classic will be released, I hope they will split the game into 2 games : retail for casuals, classic+ for other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    When classic will be released, I hope they will split the game into 2 games : retail for casuals, classic+ for other players.
    the funny thing is how ppl believe classic was hardcore at all , it was just time consuming plain and simple.
    sorry to break this bubble of yours but the patch 1.12 beta classsic is based on was one of the last patches before the tbc pre patch that nerfed many things among mob dmg , raid bosses like cthun and other stuff.so what ppl play now is a overly simplified version of the original
    Last edited by niztheundead87; 2019-05-20 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    the funny thing is how ppl believe classic was hardcore at all , it was just time consuming plain and simple.
    sorry to break this bubble of yours but the patch 1.12 beta classsic is based on was one of the last patches before the tbc pre patch that nerfed many things among mob dmg , raid bosses like cthun and other stuff.so what ppl play now is a overly simplified version of the original
    It wasn't hardcore but at least you didnt get epic gear by doing a stupid world quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

The playerbase has always been divided. On pretty much everything.

The only thing they ever agree on is that the current expansion sucks. This has been the case since at least Wrath, and probably started during TBC.
    I enjoyed the reference.
    I will say though that it's not always the case that the "current expansion sucks". I think a lot of people can agree on that Cata and WoD for example were extremely lackluster, despite having some bright spots in them.

Firelands is still one of my favourite raids but I did not like Cata much.