The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    To be fair in FF8 the only thing remastered is the graphics.

But anyway, this is a different case, because Vanilla WoW is a community/social online game.
    Its not a simpleton game from Sega Saturn singleplayer mode.

I dont know...it feels different. Cant explain it very well.

The fact that its a social multiplayer game...makes it "ok" to not be "remastered"...at least thats how i feel about it.

TLDR: Its ok to play old games doesnt mean we are living in the past. It means that said game is a piece of art worth re-experiencing. Just like a movie.

EDIT2: And btw, i bet 80% of the entire Classic population on release day...never played Classic.
    I can’t really say I agree but I also won’t denie that classic will without a doubt be more popular then say rereleasing Pac-Man it Tetris .

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you saw E3 this year?

Final Fantasy 8 remastered
    Freaking Panzer Dragoon remake...a game from SEGA SATURN...dude...sega saturn...from year 1995
    In a year when business is expected to be down a bit, remastering games and re-releasing them is much much cheaper than developing new ones. There's a market for them too. Win for everyone except those who truly want brand new games. AAA studios aren't much doing those anyway. Again, cheaper to do DLC and expansions for current and older titles to accompany the remastered versions. Then there are all the "New Releases" that are just variants of already existing games.

It's a bad time for gaming actually. If you want innovation, look to Steam and the indies.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    Blizzard would be destroying everything if they ever add content to Classic. at most, they get expansion re-releases and thats IT! New content is a terrible idea and will ruin everything theyve built in lore, story etc
    Blizz has already destroyed alot of things. But the one thing they have to really work at getting back; trust.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    PAC MAN, Tetris, Sim City, SNES and NES Classics... yep niche games, niche market.
    Those you can buy for a few dollars on current gen consoles or get them for free on a emulator.

If you're talking about modern versions....well like WoW has evolved they have evolved and changed too.

Huge difference between paying 15 every month and nothing ever changing.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair in FF8 the only thing remastered is the graphics.

But anyway, this is a different case, because Vanilla WoW is a community/social online game.
    Its not a simpleton game from Sega Saturn singleplayer mode.

I dont know...it feels different. Cant explain it very well.

The fact that its a social multiplayer game...makes it "ok" to not be "remastered"...at least thats how i feel about it.

TLDR: Its ok to play old games doesnt mean we are living in the past. It means that said game is a piece of art worth re-experiencing. Just like a movie.

EDIT2: And btw, i bet 80% of the entire Classic population on release day...never played Classic.
    You may be right, and that will be why a large chunk of it will give up on it in short time...once they learn that it's only a grindfest with a class system even more broken than live.

If nothing changes after several months, then yeah; Classic won't go far.
    However, if they do make changes...and expacs that also reflect changes, then curiosity may keep people...and paying subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If nothing changes after several months, then yeah; Classic won't go far.
    However, if they do make changes...and expacs that also reflect changes, then curiosity may keep people...and paying subs.
    How far can that go? BC is more than feasible, I'd wager so is wrath, would that be the end? Do you think people would want a Cata 2? Let's be serious now lol.

Would they upgrade the servers? Will Classic become BC? Or will they just release a BC client alongside Classic + Retail? I think (as an armchair businessman) that it would make more sense to keep the servers separate so you can cater to each audience (vanillaFags, bcFags, wrathFags, retailFags) everyone will have their place ($$$sub$$$) and I can't imagine (as an armchair dev) that much would need to go into maintaining the older versions of the game.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian Bob View Post
    Could I afford it? Sure, but if you've been playing the game for at least 10 years then you've spent nearly $2k on WoW subscriptions. I've spent money on character transfers as well, which thinking about how much money I spent on this game makes me sick to my stomach. I'm going to stick with private servers unless Classic is free or substantially less like $5 a month. Private servers tend to replicate the experience better, plus you know they won't add an in game store to purchase mounts or crap like Blizzard inevitably will. Why should I pay them $15 when they aren't adding content because they can't otherwise it would ruin the experience?
    I bet a lot of real Classic fans would bleach their own eyes after reding this post.

You are justifying your own greed and your "right" to pirate Blizzard's IP.

Oh, and no, vanilla private servers don't replicate the experience better, in fact, it has been proved they got numbers and timers wrong.

Did you saw E3 this year?

Final Fantasy 8 remastered
    Freaking Panzer Dragoon remake...a game from SEGA SATURN...dude...sega saturn...from year 1995
    Yeah, there's a big love for retro gaming. You know what's funny? Those retro games that are the hot now, specially those from the 8-16 bit era (like the mini consoles) have much more in common with modern WoW than with Classic: they have a faster pace, you can play them in shorter sessions, are much more streamlined and require less reading and more action. So your comparisson of classic WoW with old retro games falls apart when you look at their core.
    Last edited by Arakakao; 2019-06-13 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    How far can that go? BC is more than feasible, I'd wager so is wrath, would that be the end? Do you think people would want a Cata 2? Let's be serious now lol.
    Lot of good stuff (to me) up until Wrath. Not too sure about Cata, although I loved both Uldum and Vashj'ir. There were some wrong turns in the game and that should be addressed. But one point they should get right is the Lore. It just needs to make sense. It's the foundation of the game and shouldn't be shifting.

A part of me just wants Classic to do horizontal progress.

What I mean by that is Classic playstyle and class design remain the same as it was in classic but new raids and new zones.

These new zones would be areas that are already there on either Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms but more detailed and "embiggened"

Scarlet Crusade raid would be fantastic... c'mon... you can't deny that would be a dope raid!

Vanilla it will be for me, but it does seem a shame to split the community

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varleen View Post
    I bet a lot of real Classic fans would bleach their own eyes after reding this post.

You are justifying your own greed and your "right" to pirate Blizzard's IP.

Oh, and no, vanilla private servers don't replicate the experience better, in fact, it has been proved they got numbers and timers wrong.
    Blizzard is going to release Classic with patch 1.12 while private servers do this in progression to replicate the experience. Yes private servers do get numbers wrong but it seems so does Blizzard. You can't experience Seal of Command at 100% holy damage unless you go back a number of patches. As far as my greed, I paid for the game like hundreds of times over. Why does it seem like greed because I want to stop paying for a game I've already paid for? Also any true Classic fan isn't here, they're playing on private servers.

Blizzard is going to release Classic with patch 1.12 while private servers do this in progression to replicate the experience. Yes private servers do get numbers wrong but it seems so does Blizzard. You can't experience Seal of Command at 100% holy damage unless you go back a number of patches. As far as my greed, I paid for the game like hundreds of times over. Why does it seem like greed because I want to stop paying for a game I've already paid for? Also any true Classic fan isn't here, they're playing on private servers.
    Any true classic fan does best to avoid those like the plague. None of them ever got things fully right.

It only "seems" like Blizzard gets numbers wrong because you got used to the wrong numbers and falsely think them to be correct.

1 - Private servers also use 1.12 as template.

2 - You didn't pay for the game: you paid to have access to the game. You don't own the game, never did. You already paid monthly fees that you already consumed. Do you wanna play again? Then pay.

No, but classic will have a solid base with people that dont play retail.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varleen View Post
    1 - Private servers also use 1.12 as template.
    Yes but they at least simulate the other versions.
    2 - You didn't pay for the game: you paid to have access to the game. You don't own the game, never did. You already paid monthly fees that you already consumed. Do you wanna play again? Then pay.
    Nope sorry, I own the game. I have physical copies on DVDs or CDs, I forget. That means I own it.

Yes but they at least simulate the other versions.

Nope sorry, I own the game. I have physical copies on DVDs or CDs, I forget. That means I own it.
    Nope, sorry, you didn't read the EULA.

I suggest you google the term "Software as a Service" and educate yourself. You don't own jack.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma Tiger View Post
    haha no
    people will see how boring classic is compared to BFA
    the truth is just that wow has become old
    you've played this game for 15 years
    they try to keep it fresh, but you've been doing the same things for 15 years
    going back to the version from 15 years ago will only make things worse
    now you have the same game, but it looks old and feels slow, and it doesn't have any of the cool things BFA has, you've already seen the content and there is no new content coming
    why would anyone play that?
    you'll level to 60, realize the endgame isn't fun, and then quit
    while youre right about no new content. i think most just want the vanilla tight knit server communities back. you can pretty much do all content in retail without having to socialize with anyone thanks to to things like lfr

10+ Year Old Account
    It already is, at least in terms of viewership. But it would dishonest to attribute that solely to Classic. One needs to consider that BFA, right now, is stale. Nonetheless, there is some merit to the idea and concrete situation of known (major) players flocking to classic, enjoy that over retail and thousands of people watching them do it.

This only cements the notion that BFA, well, not BFA really, the next expansion needs to radicalize the game or at least dial back the degree of the current game philosophy.

Ultimately, some players - including myself - don't see instant gratification coupled with showering the player with immediate and immense rewards is healthy for a game (or games in general).
    And adding mounts,pets or whatnot into the game under the pretense of making us busy, well it's pathetic and doesn't fool anyone, unless, obviously, those who can't see beyond their respective nostrils and eat that nonsense up.

10+ Year Old Account
    having classic servers will just make extra revenue and it will kill competition simply cuz blizzard is more trustworthy than some random pleb on the internet, and no one can take legal action to get it down... only if 30k people plays it, it will give blizz half a mill each month for "doing nothing". and if classic is a hugh hit and makes a lot of money the first months, they will make TBC and Wotlk servers too, those three is their golden legacy, it is the golden era of mmo's

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazing View Post
    Nope, sorry, you didn't read the EULA.

I suggest you google the term "Software as a Service" and educate yourself. You don't own jack.
    EULA isn't a legally binding contract. There are cases in the US where it's sometimes enforced and sometimes isn't. In terms of games this isn't something that pertains to the EULA. Blizzard's online service to allow the game to work is a different story.