Page 23 of 81 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I enjoy a social MMO but my earlier points stand. There are lots of ways to encourage social participation in retail WoW, reverting back to Classic isn't necessary for that.

Sometimes the game you thought that sucks is actually pretty good. It happened before and it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I really doubt it, but who knows. Streamers are hyping the game a lot and it might really be that good for them and people of like mind, but to an average player Classic is completely unapproachable.
    They're a bit over the top, Asmongold was acting like clearing Deadmines was a life or death experience and that they were at the verge of wiping every pull lol.

Looked like basically the same difficulty level you got prior to Cata revamp in retail WoW, sans heirloom gear.

Quote Originally Posted by clausuk57 View Post
    *link to reddit*
    That's brilliant. I've noticed none of the classic haters here on MMO-C ever talk about the social aspect, they just hyper-concentrate on the rotations or boss mechanics as if that was by far the most important thing in an MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
    I played the beta the last 3 days and i can tell as a "veteran" the magic is gone. Back then everything was exciting and new, but now its a dull grind, boring af, with absolutely retarded quests. Nearly every "bring 10 of something quest" is a stupid grind with 50-60 mobs or even more. Dungeons, Raids, etc. will be cleared in no time, simply because everyone plays much better than back in vanilla.

It will have its time the first 3-4 months, after that its PvP only for nostalgic reasons.
    Exactly my thought.

And I am honestly not interested in needing months to level to 60.

It has all been done before. No one is going to care if you kill Ragnaros or C'thun. It has all been done before back in 2005 and 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I really doubt it, but who knows. Streamers are hyping the game a lot and it might really be that good for them and people of like mind, but to an average player Classic is completely unapproachable.
    Ofc they are hyping it up, they're seeing a surge in viewers like they haven't seen in a good while. Money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I enjoy a social MMO but my earlier points stand. There are lots of ways to encourage social participation in retail WoW, reverting back to Classic isn't necessary for that.
    People who think classic will bring back the community of yore.. the gamer from 2005 was a very different type of gamer than the gamer in 2019. In 2005 games were still nerds for nerds things. It's not going to happen.

Blizzard should just kill sharding and CRZ in retail and merge servers.

It will probably overtake retail until next xpac comes out
    This isn't the same company. They are not in touch with the playerbase, they are hellbent on profit, and yea companies deserve profit, but not at the cost of the health of the game, and they became their own worst enemy. WoW was special not because of vanilla, bc, or wrath. No nostalgia here. It was special because of Blizzards involvement with the community, which is all but lost now. They changed everything into the least possible communication with the community.

I think it might initially. Don't think it will after the first month though.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe. Old School RuneScape has more players than RuneScape 3.

In reality, there will no way for us to know as Blizzard don't release sub numbers.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Absolutely, it will. For a few months. It'll be shiny and "new" - at least in the way that anything retro can be new - and it'll draw in a huge number of people with nostalgia to come play around for a while.

Most of them will quit before hitting 60. Most of the rest will quit after running out of Phase 1 content. Each Phase will bring back an increasingly smaller number of the aforementioned, until they have all the Classic content out, and then the population will go into freefall.

A negligible amount of people will stick around after that. The cycle will repeat every time they launch new Classic servers, with smaller numbers each time. Big waves will come back again when they do Classic: The Burning Crusade Edition and the whole thing starts over. It'll happen again with Wrath. That'll be the last expansion they retrocolone - Cataclysm was an unmitigated disaster as were half the expansions that followed it.

People act like Blizzard is treading new ground here, but Daybreak (formerly SOE) has been doing this with EverQuest for the better part of a decade, Trion tried it with RIFT, and I'm sure there have been others. It always goes the same - it mirrors the launch of a new MMO almost identically, just on a smaller (and smaller... and smaller...) scale.

I think a lot of players will realize they are wrong, whenever they start to play classic.

Have you guys seen venruki newest video, he was one of the biggest naysayer and retail baby, but look at him now.
    Vanilla is bland and boring. Less stuff, less classes, less specs, less raids, Less dungeons. Sure there will be people who want to keep playing it. But at the number that it will even get close to retail. All these people that seriously complain about leveling and now they want to go through 1-60 again at an even slower rate than retail just to play a watered down version of their class?

Its nostalgia right now. Its not built for long term success but short term feels.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    As people have said, I definitely think it'll happen for a few months. Classic will be treated like a new big patch or small expansion back, effectively, and draw a lot of people in. Then the numbers will peter off until you have a smaller, dedicated group, and those people who jump in and out more casually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Lots of 13 year old play WoW, it's easy to forget that as you get older I guess. I almost never talk in game anymore
    It's not kids though

Like recently I was in a pug and ppl were just constantly being passive aggressive and overly defensive. Not only were they trying to do the whole "I kill this on mythic listen to me" but I mentioned the not a bug list for the beta and two ppl started arguing over druid tanks and it ended with linking achievements lol

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    yes, super fun playing a 3 button hero in pve, where you are banned from using rupture due to debuff limit. I played rogue throughout all of vanilla, and well, up to this point. The class is kind shit now, but don't come here and pretend it was better in vanilla. It wasn't
    I first learned Gouge as a level 6 Rogue in early 2005. Thanks for ability pruning I don't have it anymore. Same for Poisons, Bleeds, etc. I don't have any of these classic Rogue buttons as a Subtlety Rogue.

And by the way, there is far more to class design than the rotation you use while tunneling a boss inside a raid instance. Vanilla class design is vastly superior in every other facet of the game and you are utterly delusional if you think otherwise.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazing View Post
    I first learned Gouge as a level 6 Rogue in early 2005. Thanks for ability pruning I don't have it anymore. Same for Poisons, Bleeds, etc. I don't have any of these classic Rogue buttons as a Subtlety Rogue.

And by the way, there is far more to class design than the rotation you use while tunneling a boss inside a raid instance. Vanilla class design is vastly superior in every other facet of the game and you are utterly delusional if you think otherwise.
    Vastly superior... Yeah, im not the delusional one here buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Ion's plan:

Month 1: Hype Train, everyone resubs for Classic, "OH MY GOD LOOK AT THESE NUMBERS BOYS!!!". More servers get added to help with queues and congestion.
    Month 2-6: Gradual falloff of MAUs playing Classic. A slow steady decline, resulting in some "dead" servers with very little AH activity.
    Month 6: Ion opens up SERVER TRANSFERS for the people playing on above dead servers. Here's the amazing thing about Classic: 1-60 takes a while. So if you've put all that time in, a 25 dollar Server Transfer seems like a nice easy investment to continue to play their characters they've put so much time and effort into.

After that, we'll never know
    month 8: WANT TO REACH LEVEL 60 WITHOUT ALL THAT TEDIOUS QUESTING? GET T2 GEAR WITHOUT ANY EFFORT? JUST FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF 100$, YOU CAN BOOST TO THAT LEVEL.

They talked about releasing additional content if community wants it, so i don't think it will ever run completely out of content

- - - Updated - - -

>Classic had like 6-8 times BFA numbers but Classic is the niche market

nice meme
    With that sort of genius arguments, Disco isn't a niche musical market now because it was popular years ago.

Times change, tastes change, people move on. Classic will be the niche compared to modern WoW unless the very unexpected happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    They're a bit over the top, Asmongold was acting like clearing Deadmines was a life or death experience and that they were at the verge of wiping every pull lol.

Looked like basically the same difficulty level you got prior to Cata revamp in retail WoW, sans heirloom gear.
    the hardest "boss" in the dungeons of classic beta is probably the gap you have to jump across in wailing caverns.

Classic will see a peak in the first 5 min of the game before people realize that you have to tag mobs yourself and need more than 2 hours to leave the starting area.
    I will test it myself because everyone deserves a chance but i don't have the time anymore to play half a day long. There is a reason the game got many qol fixes here and there.
    It is nice to see the original game again, but it won't be a longterm thing for the majority.
    Dying could endanger your health!