Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Multi Platform Game Licence

I think going into the future video game companies should start creating multi platform licencing for their games and stop nickle and diming us every generation when many people double or triple dip on other current platforms.

Something like this would be beneficial to growing the entire industry going forward as well and show good faith towards the consumers.

7+ Year Old Account
    But... capitalism... ?

Lol, just kidding, I don't know. Companies want to make the most money they can.

Quote Originally Posted by KLOCKWERK View Post
    But... capitalism... ?

Lol, just kidding, I don't know. Companies want to make the most money they can.
    I just mean from a development standpoint all the architectures are basically the same now and the effort in making a game run on PC, XBOX and PS consoles is very minimal. Seems like a missed opportunity in my opinion and a money grab at best.

Too easy to abuse, too little to gain. Will never happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I just mean from a development standpoint all the architectures are basically the same now and the effort in making a game run on PC, XBOX and PS consoles is very minimal. Seems like a missed opportunity in my opinion and a money grab at best.
    Gonna disagree here, some games just run better on a controller then a mouse/kboard, far better (quality wise) to make a version for console and a version for PC.

I'd agree on 1 licence tho, maybe buy a game on PC and pay half for console version? Don't think it'll happen tho, way too easy for them to get money the way it's now

I think going into the future video game companies should start creating multi platform licencing for their games and stop nickle and diming us every generation when many people double or triple dip on other current platforms.

Something like this would be beneficial to growing the entire industry going forward as well and show good faith towards the consumers.
    Like a PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    Gonna disagree here, some games just run better on a controller then a mouse/kboard, far better (quality wise) to make a version for console and a version for PC.

I'd agree on 1 licence tho, maybe buy a game on PC and pay half for console version? Don't think it'll happen tho, way too easy for them to get money the way it's now
    Ya, a discount on counterparts is a good idea. I could live with this as a middle ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Like a PC?
    Some people have multiple platforms and don't like the idea of having to buy a current gen game on multiple platforms to play with some friends who may or may not have one platform or the other. While cross platform is helping with some games it is not going to be widespread for a few generations and this could help ease the cost of having to buy a full price game you already own the rights to.

Like a PC?
    PC itself is a multi-platform thing now. Games can be exclusive to one service (Steam, Epic, Origin, etc.)
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The platform is the PC, not the service.
    Not entirely. It used to be. Now there are games that require you to have X client to run...and if you don't have it...no game.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Which doesn’t mean shit. They’ve almost always required a secondary piece of software to run. Also known as the operating system. The platform is still the hardware required, not the software.
    The term "platform" can apply to hardware and software.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    There's no real difference though, the PC versions all have controller support and play exactly the same as the console versions.

Im ok buying multi-license if they would all pull from the same account for rewards and progress etc..... Like Destiny I have it on PC and Xbox, should be one toon one account not 2. OW, Diablo, Div2, etc should all be one account for progress and gear regardless of where i play. Could easily (i think) limit it to one logged in system at a time so no sharing.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

15+ Year Old Account
    Well windows has tried to do it with their universal play. But it is limited. It would be nice though. I know there are many times I'd love to pick up a game on the xbox and play with friends or family. But I do most gaming on the PC and don't like paying for a game twice. Even more so when it is an existing account driven game. I'd love to play Diablo for free on xbox. I might even get my wife into it.

I'd also love to have all my lego games on both xbox and pc.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Only in combination. Never divorced. And it wouldn’t make a difference in this case.
    I'm not divorcing them. I'm saying that your computer can be part of several different platforms at the same time. It can be part of your Steam platform, your Epic Platform, etc. The important thing is that your steam platform doesn't really talk to your epic platform anymore than your XBone will talk to your PS4. Purchases, achievements, save data, etc...are all separate...even if you own the same game on both platforms.

Except that’s not how it’s classified any more than openGL vs DirectX. Especially since the services you’re describing are free. As such your comparison has no place in this conversation, regardless of your silly prejudice against multiple services hosting games.
    Doesn't matter if the service is free. It's still a different platform with different DRM issues, Crossplay support, achievements, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Doesn't matter if the service is free. It's still a different platform with different DRM issues, Crossplay support, achievements, etc.
    However we know that the services can communicate with each other if they want to. And it doesn't have to do with the game at all. Uplay and Steam can communicate achievements and the like in some fashion. As both will track them when you purchase the game through steam. Steam also allows you to launch pretty much anything but it won't count any of the steam features if the game wasn't purchase on steam.

It really is a shame that Microsoft couldn't get UWP to take off. But at least they have tried.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Any examples of PC crossplay being restricted by service? That’s literally the only relevant issue.
    DRM is a pretty relevant issue to a lot of people. Maybe not to you...but to others. Achievements are also important to some people...and having them spread out over multiple platforms can be annoying. As for crossplay support...there are questions as to whether Borderlands 3 will have crossplay between epic and steam...after epics limited time exclusivity deal is over. As far as I know those questions have not been officially answered yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    However we know that the services can communicate with each other if they want to. And it doesn't have to do with the game at all. Uplay and Steam can communicate achievements and the like in some fashion. As both will track them when you purchase the game through steam. Steam also allows you to launch pretty much anything but it won't count any of the steam features if the game wasn't purchase on steam.

It really is a shame that Microsoft couldn't get UWP to take off. But at least they have tried.
    "If they want to" is the issue though. If Steam and Epic decide they don't want to communicate with each other that splits the community.

Ya, a discount on counterparts is a good idea. I could live with this as a middle ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people have multiple platforms and don't like the idea of having to buy a current gen game on multiple platforms to play with some friends who may or may not have one platform or the other. While cross platform is helping with some games it is not going to be widespread for a few generations and this could help ease the cost of having to buy a full price game you already own the rights to.
    If everyone just played on PC, problem would be solved. You can build a low end gaming PC for almost the price of a high end console. If you can't afford a low end PC you should probably be doing something else in your life instead of paying video games.

If everyone just played on PC, problem would be solved. You can build a low end gaming PC for almost the price of a high end console. If you can't afford a low end PC you should probably be doing something else in your life instead of paying video games.
    Don't be a stupid snide stuck up bitch lol. You know that is bullshit for a lot of people. Anything worth gaming on is like bare minimum 800 Canadian before a monitor to build a computer that will last you a good 5 years. I love PC too but there are just as many console/handheld gamers now too.

Don't be a stupid snide stuck up bitch lol. You lnow that is bullshit for a lot of people. Anything worth gaming on is like bare minimum 800 Canadian before a monitor to build a computer that will last you a good 5 years. I love PC too but there are just as many console/hamdhrld gamers now too.
    I just retired a first gen i7 PC that I had for 10 years, it actually still runs games great, it's just when I played games like SOT it loaded it slow, it was only slightly faster than an Xbox one S. The only thing I had done with it was replace the video card that burned out and the SSD for a bigger one. I still have it, it's just my plex server now.