10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Amazon will pay for your bodyscan

....with giftcards lol.

https://mashable.com/article/amazon-...y/?europe=true

Amazon has been conducting research that involves digital 3D "scans" of people's bodies in exchange for a $25 Amazon gift card.

The e-commerce giant is currently carrying out the image study at two different locations in New York City.

Mashable became aware of the research program after a staff member was targeted with an advertisement on Instagram. The ad led to an online form where would-be participants were able to sign up for a 3D body scan session.

The signup page for the study claims that Amazon takes 3D scans, photos, and videos of study participants, both fully clothed and in “form-fitting” swimwear. Height and weight measurements are also collected during the session. On the website, Amazon states that the data collected during the study is “exclusively for internal product research” and will not be used in a marketing capacity.

(yeah right)

Volunteers then receive a $25 Amazon gift card in exchange for one 30-minute research session.

The author of this piece signed up for the Amazon body-scanning study and learned that participants were asked to sign an NDA, which required them to keep everything they experienced or learned during the study confidential.

For that 25 dolars -- this NDA isnt worth it.

While Body Labs has mostly worked with the fashion industry, it has origins in law enforcement.

In 2002, Virginia state police enlisted the help of Brown University computer science professor Michael Black to solve a robbery and murder at a 7-Eleven. Black and his students used “computer vision techniques” to help in the case, confirming evidence such as the culprit’s height. The body model and data collected to help solve the crime later became the foundation for Body Labs, which Black co-founded in 2013.

Amazon has worked with law enforcement before. Activists and human rights organizations have complained about another of the company's image-scanning technologies, Rekognition.

The ACLU, in particular, has been a harsh critic of Amazon's data practices, slamming the company for selling its facial recognition technology to local police and the FBI. The company also pitched Rekognition to ICE. In testing conducted by the ACLU, the civil liberties organization found that the facial surveillance technology had misidentified members of Congress, particularly people of color.

Its possible that in future they will sell a product that will scan your body and then they will sell this data to advertisers (like gogle).
    Or its already on market (similar like alexa).

Amazon is currently promoting the 3D-scanning study via its Amazon Body Labs social media accounts. Through sponsored ads, particularly on Instagram and Facebook, Amazon is able to deliver details of the study to a user’s newsfeed while hiding the posts from public view on its account pages.

An Amazon spokesperson sent Mashable the following statement when asked for comment on the company’s body scanning study: “We haven’t made any announcements about Body Labs, but we’re excited to continue to see that technology develop.”

Of course, participating in an Amazon body scan study is completely voluntary, and we should note it's relatively common for companies to conduct this type of consumer research. And someday, this type of 3D scanning technology might be so commonplace that people don't bat an eye at a study like this. But for now, it's still pretty unique, and a little strange.

I wont be suprised if they are collecting human body data for 3d models in future as amazon is going into movies.

I don't understand why people are so scared of big businesses etc when they offer voluntary studies like this.

"Oh no my privacy!!!" - 10 years after playing farmville and every other ville for 3 hours a day in 2009.

The same as GDPR being a complete waste of time in the EU.

Amazon are light years ahead of everyone else. I've founded a startup in London that has gained serious traction as well as investment from global multi bn $ system integrators. They're telling us they haven't seen anyone else doing it. When we spoke to contacts at Amazon, they already had an internal process that has, essentially the same offering as our platform.

Let Amazon do what Amazon does.
    Last edited by JessicaJones; 2019-05-25 at 08:44 AM.

Don't sign up?

Nice try Jeff Bezos, but you're not getting nudes without at least DMing me first.

I'll pay for your nudes too and if you have pretty feet I'll pay separately for those. Much more than 25 shitty dollars too lol.

If you're a female this literally isn't worth doing. You could make much more than $25 camming/onlyfans'ing and if you don't think you're attractive enough that means you clearly haven't been on a cam site before lol. From 18 year olds to 60+ year olds, skinny chicks to fat chicks, there's someone out there that will pay to see you nekkid.
    Last edited by Drusin; 2019-05-25 at 08:51 AM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

for 25 bucks i wouldnt even leave the house. let alone anyone take pics of me in swimwear.

its amazon so the name alone will be enough to attract interest.
    but i dont know anyone that would sell their "nudes" for 25 bucks.

make it 250 and i might consider it

Are we in Saudi Arabia? Because last time I checked being fully clothed or wearing swimwear does not equate nudity.