Can We Revive Empathy in Our Selfish World?

About three years ago, Jeremy and I, along with our students Fernanda Herrera and Erika Weisz, decided to find out. We designed a VR experience to help Bay Area residents see their homeless neighbors in a new light. Using an Oculus Rift, viewers explored scenes that told the story of one person’s descent into homelessness. A viewer first “wakes up” in his apartment, facing eviction, and is asked to take inventory of furniture he can sell to keep afloat. That fails, and the viewer finds himself living in his car. A police officer catches him staying there illegally and impounds the vehicle, and the viewer ends up on Hotel 22. In this last scene, he can also learn about his fellow passengers. If he “clicks” on the father and son next to him, a narrator explains, “This is a father, Ray, and his son, named Ethan. Ethan’s mother suffered from a chronic illness and recently passed away. Left with the hospital bills, Ray is in debt. They’re on a family shelter waiting list. So until free spaces become available, they sleep on the bus at night.”

http://nautil.us/issue/72/quandary/c...-selfish-world

Psychology professor writes VR program that simulates homelessness. Says it increases the compassion of players towards the homeless.

Do you think VR can increase compassion towards groups of people? Would it increase your compassion?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Psychology professor writes VR program that simulates homelessness. Says it increases the compassion of players towards the homeless.

Do you think VR can increase compassion towards groups of people? Would it increase your compassion?
    All I can say is, I do not need it to feel compassion or also to see laziness and lack of self motivation in people.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

The amount of stories I see of people helping people on the internet and the gofund me stories think there is plenty of compassion to be had. The problem is all this shitheads who take advantage of peoples compassion. Like the married couple and the homeless guy that suckered people with a bullshit story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    All I can say is, I do not need it to feel compassion or also to see laziness and lack of self motivation in people.
    Sad thing is a lot of people who are lazy aren't on the streets, they're living on welfare like my friend who does nothing but plays video games and watches TV all day. Homeless are probably mostly crazies and drug addicts.

Some people are better off just doing their own thing and not contributing to society. People who do not want to work I would not want to force them to work because one main reason. I do not want someone in charge of something that could potentially end up hurting someone because of their lack of caring to be doing that job.

Better go back to the old times when the Mongolian hordes descended down into China and burned down their cities to the point the human fat flowed through the street like water after a rainy day...

10+ Year Old Account
    In the USA? No probably not. That selfish mentality is too rooted in who we are in society unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    CWREOSW ?
    Thats a pretty poor abbreviation.

Neat article though. But personally I feel like instead of trying to "cure" people of their selfishness and greed, I prefer to just live by example and be the change I want to see in the world. You can too!
    Just dont be a dick about it, and dont get taken advantage of.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The amount of stories I see of people helping people on the internet and the gofund me stories think there is plenty of compassion to be had. The problem is all this shitheads who take advantage of peoples compassion. Like the married couple and the homeless guy that suckered people with a bullshit story.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad thing is a lot of people who are lazy aren't on the streets, they're living on welfare like my friend who does nothing but plays video games and watches TV all day. Homeless are probably mostly crazies and drug addicts.
    Yeah I agree. My uncle was a alcoholic and he lived primarily on sucking off other people. Esp. his brother, who use to bail him out of jail all the time. Then he lived with his mother also. I do think some of them do not want a different life however. As they are comfortable with their life style which gives them a lot less reason to be motivated. I call it laziness because being motivated to make good changes in your life does require some work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Some people are better off just doing their own thing and not contributing to society. People who do not want to work I would not want to force them to work because one main reason. I do not want someone in charge of something that could potentially end up hurting someone because of their lack of caring to be doing that job.
    If you are working and paying taxes then you are contributing. If you want to do more, you still have that option.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Yeah I agree. My uncle was a alcoholic and he lived primarily on sucking off other people. Esp. his brother, who use to bail him out of jail all the time. Then he lived with his mother also. I do think some of them do not want a different life however. As they are comfortable with their life style which gives them a lot less reason to be motivated. I call it laziness because being motivated to make good changes in your life does require some work.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are working and paying taxes then you are contributing. If you want to do more, you still have that option.
    Good point

Get lazy ass welfare freeloaders that are well able bodied to do community services... even if it's a few hours a week, cleaning up the town and what not.

"revive" empathy? do you really think the world had more empathy at any point before right now? it may not seem this way to you, but the world is currently the most peaceful that it's ever been in human history. we still have a ways to go, but things are slowly getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Get lazy ass welfare freeloaders that are well able bodied to do community services... even if it's a few hours a week, cleaning up the town and what not.
    That can work too but I think corporations should not be allowed to have have tax shelters and should be forced to put back into the communities that built them up and allow them to thrive which would show good faith to all those who helped put them where they are. As it sits now corporations have more rights than individual people.

That can work too but I think corporations should not be allowed to have have tax shelters and should be forced to put back into the communities that built them up and allow them to thrive which would show good faith to all those who helped put them where they are. As it sits now corporations have more rights than individual people.
    pretty much this. there is currently enough money in the american economy to take care of every citizen, whether they need it or not. allowing huge sums of money to sit in corporate bank accounts doing nothing for no one is immoral. i see no reason why they should give the majority of the money back to the society that they got it from. UBI, single payer, and rent control would cut administrative costs and make sure everyone can live a decent life.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    pretty much this. there is currently enough money in the american economy to take care of every citizen, whether they need it or not. allowing huge sums of money to sit in corporate bank accounts doing nothing for no one is immoral. i see no reason why they should give the majority of the money back to the society that they got it from. UBI, single payer, and rent control would cut administrative costs and make sure everyone can live a decent life.
    Exactly, but a lot of people are brainwashed to think that is bad even though they will never be rich in their lifetime but are trained to think they could be if they just work their lives away.

trust has collapsed. youd have to fix that first.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    How much do you think it cost to take care of one person?

Too many people on this planet to give a damn about randoms.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Do people really think empathy is our problem in society? Really? We all have an adequate amount of empathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

If you can use VR to get people to have more empathy for groups like the homeless, you could use VR maliciously too, to get people to hate certain groups.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland