Poll: What Do You Think of ASMR Videos?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I Can't Be The Only One Who Finds ASMR Extremely Creepy...

When I first heard about ASMR, I was a bit intrigued by the concept. For me, hearing someone talking for an extended period of time makes me fall asleep faster than anything else, and for me the sound of water, like a river or the waves of the ocean crashing on the shore or rainfall are deeply calming and peaceful to me. So I figured that ASMR would just be the next step/level in that concept.

I couldn't have been more wrong. ASMR videos incite a visceral, extremely negative reaction to me and I'm not entirely sure I can even properly articulate why. The ASMR's where girls talk in a soft voice just irritate me because it's like they're whispering for no reason. It also feels like someone trying (and spectacularly failing) to whisper something to someone else so I can't hear them. I've seen videos of all kinds of weird fucking things like sheets rubbing together, feather duster things rubbing against a mic, even someone whispering shit while pretending to cut hair.

I can't watch any ASMR videos for more than 30 seconds. They trigger me for some reason - listening to the whispering, the popping, the crinkling, the fizzing, all they do is piss me off and piss me off big time. And like I said, I can't even fully explain why. They're like the auditory equivalent of flies or mosquito buzzing - I just want to make them stop. So, and I the only one who doesn't just dislike ASMR videos, but actively hates them and is negatively affected by them?

Bloodsail Admiral melkesjokolade's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Me too. Thats all I gotta say. It seems like some sort of creepy fetish, something people jack off to.

yeah, creepy as fuck.

I won't say I have a strong reaction to it either way; I just think it's dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by melkesjokolade View Post
    Me too. Thats all I gotta say. It seems like some sort of creepy fetish, something people jack off to.
    Supposedly it helps some people relax, and I've read articles where some people with severe psychological issues like PTSD find it helpful or even healing, but I can't possibly understand how. For me, it's the exact opposite of soothing or healing. I was not exaggerating when I said I can't listen to it for more than 30 seconds before it pisses me off in a powerful way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont hate it just another fetish i guess, twitch's IRL section is full of girl streamers doing it, must be the next big thing.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Not for me. Just seems like the latest "I'm special" craze. What happened to kids just wanting to be animal-kins.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Well surprise surprise people like different things. Not gonna deny there are lots of shitty camwhore ASMR streams/videos out here though, but there are also good ones. I watch ASMR videos by both men and women.

I watch ASMR videos nearly every evening when I go to bed. The best ones cause that nice ASMR tingling feeling on the scalp and down the back, others just makes me sleepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Well surprise surprise people like different things. Not gonna deny there are lots of shitty camwhore ASMR streams/videos out here though, but there are also good ones. I watch ASMR videos by both men and women.

I watch ASMR videos nearly every evening when I go to bed. The best ones cause that nice ASMR tingling feeling on the scalp and down the back, others just makes me sleepy.
    That's probably another reason I hate them. I can't stand that tingling feeling. It's not calming or pleasant to me in any way and it creeps me out when I feel it.

I enjoy it very much, I fap to chaturbate and sleep to asmr. Good life

10+ Year Old Account
    Unsure I can vote. I don't like the videos but the audio only, I don't mind. Though, it is VERY limited to what it is. I can't stand some sounds and some even to the point of making me angry.

Though, I'd rather have an audio book if it is a goal of relaxing.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't have any kind of effect on me, one way or the other.

Deleted
    Not a thing here, would not even know it exists without mmo champ.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyXIV View Post
    Not a thing here, would not even know it exists without mmo champ.
    What is "here"?

It's on the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

I listen to ASMR, helps me get sleep. Nothing sexual about it whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    I prefer constant white noise while I sleep. It probably stems from living in Manhattan for years. No peace there.

But ASMR, no.
    Here is something to believe in!

Good stuff. First learned about them last July from a thread here. Nothing creepy about them. Some videos are clearly sexualized, but that's just one way to go about it.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Deleted
    Had to google it...

Personally I prefer nature sounds like the rain forest or the ocean, not some dickhead with a camera in their bedroom exploiting a trend.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just videos/sounds of relaxing stuff which helps some people relax. Better than most drugs. Myself, I have no need for it and it does not bother me one way or the other as long as I am not subjected to listening to it for a long time. Those who find it helpful, more power to them.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    When I first heard about ASMR, I was a bit intrigued by the concept. For me, hearing someone talking for an extended period of time makes me fall asleep faster than anything else, and for me the sound of water, like a river or the waves of the ocean crashing on the shore or rainfall are deeply calming and peaceful to me. So I figured that ASMR would just be the next step/level in that concept.

I couldn't have been more wrong. ASMR videos incite a visceral, extremely negative reaction to me and I'm not entirely sure I can even properly articulate why. The ASMR's where girls talk in a soft voice just irritate me because it's like they're whispering for no reason. It also feels like someone trying (and spectacularly failing) to whisper something to someone else so I can't hear them. I've seen videos of all kinds of weird fucking things like sheets rubbing together, feather duster things rubbing against a mic, even someone whispering shit while pretending to cut hair.

I can't watch any ASMR videos for more than 30 seconds. They trigger me for some reason - listening to the whispering, the popping, the crinkling, the fizzing, all they do is piss me off and piss me off big time. And like I said, I can't even fully explain why. They're like the auditory equivalent of flies or mosquito buzzing - I just want to make them stop. So, and I the only one who doesn't just dislike ASMR videos, but actively hates them and is negatively affected by them?
    I hate it. I honestly get a feeling of rage and anxiety when I hear an ASMR video.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if it falls into the asmr category but I enjoy nature sounds (waterfalls, birds/outdoor ambient noise, burning fire, waves on a beach) and listening to audio books to relax after working.
    I've never tried listening to something specifically referred to as asmr but I can understand the appeal.