Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    4k for rent? Holy shit... How do manage to keep low income people in the city for low skilled jobs? People must have 8 roommates or something lol
    its called Commuting.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    They are near a shallow bay. Would it be possible to make new land by adding dirt?
    Artificial land is extremely subject to 'liquifying' during earthquakes. You can go from there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    Artificial land is extremely subject to 'liquifying' during earthquakes. You can go from there.
    I see, what about floating structures?

I see, what about floating structures?
    No idea. The bay is so busy with ships it may be a problem, but meh.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    No idea. The bay is so busy with ships it may be a problem, but meh.
    Right then, the only solution is taller buildings or commuting from further out.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    4k for rent? Holy shit... How do manage to keep low income people in the city for low skilled jobs? People must have 8 roommates or something lol
    They live about two three hours away driving, they drive in which makes traffic so taxes are being proposed to force them to rely upon public transit. Which is getting its budget slashed, so nine hours of work in the city. Four on, one off unpaid lunch, four more. Then a total of four to six hours travel time leaves them with about an hour to live before they go to sleep for eight hours. Gonna need to jack up prices so they spend a lot during that one hour of their time. Keep that economy moving!
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, all the RVs I see parked on the side of the road are janky as fuck. Cardboard or Plywooded windows, etc.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Call me crazy, but what if they moved to somewhere more affordable?
    "Instead of addressing gentrification, people should just uproot their lives and acquiesce to it."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    what do you expect? most people living there probably work at google making minimum 6 figures and in some cases 7.

you don't work at google? tough shit that company is making more money than probably every other building with 20 miles combined, people will want to live nearby driving house/rent prices through the roof.
    This sounds like a good argument for executing rent-seekers.

- - - Updated - - -

They are near a shallow bay. Would it be possible to make new land by adding dirt?
    It's not a space issue. There's more than enough housing for everyone. It's a price-gouging issue by people who don't work for a living.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

How ... they don't have any money to move... that's the problem with where you live, it is a very costly process to move.

I live in a small unit in Brisbane, AU ... and I'm paying around $1600/month - which on the very low end of the market.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragu4 View Post
    Tired of California refugees coming to Texas though. They're keeping their pay and moving here, driving up the costs of everything. Now I'm moving from my $1,100 a month box into a small room in a house for $600 a month.
    Damn skilled workers moving to another area and improving the housing values. They should be forced to make less money for the same job right?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool319 View Post
    Damn skilled workers moving to another area and improving the housing values. They should be forced to make less money for the same job right?
    There's a devil's advocate for this argument though. My wife and I moved from the Bay Area to the Twin Cities a few years ago. We both took about a 15% pay cut when we moved. We moved from a two-bedroom townhome that was in a poor school district (elementary school our kids would go to had we stated was rated 3/10). We now live in a 5-bedroom house in a very nice neighborhood, excellent school district. Our flat housing costs are $1,500 less per month. Property tax is about half. Additional expenses (utilities, gas, daycare) are all much cheaper. So we DO make less money for equivalent jobs but our lifestyle has actually gone up because the cost of living is so much less.

So then them moving doesn't cost anything.

That's good to know that something is free when I don't have the money for it.

Hold my beer - heading to the TV shop

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Affordable rent is available. You just have to drive down to the hood. /s

But there is like a whole movement of people apparently wanting to to this allegedly. #vanlife

The problem isn't that Silicon Valley is overpopulated. The problem is zoning that prevents higher density housing from being constructed.

Zoning is profoundly anti-liberal, but sadly liberals are all for it if they themselves own property.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Another example of why the economic issue isnt pay rates on the low end, but those on the high end. I hope the whole area turns into an RV lot, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    I live in one of the most expensive countries in the world and the highest monthly rent cost I could find was 2 731,84$ for a 5 room apartment at a prime location in our capital city.

When I see Americans post prices they are usually about half of what we are used to, 4000$ is shocking number.
    $2,700 for a 5 bed flat in a prime location in a capital city may make it one of the most expensive cities when compared to India, but it's dirt cheap compared to London, Paris, Amsterdam, NYC, LA, etc.

I am confused as to why they would live in RVs in areas they can't afford? Is it because they work there but can't afford the rent? It seems like if your home can move, it'd be better to migrate to a better area... right?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool319 View Post
    Locals should be forced out of being able to afford shelter in a given location right?

It’s way past time for this housing bubble to pop anyhow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I am confused as to why they would live in RVs in areas they can't afford? Is it because they work there but can't afford the rent? It seems like if your home can move, it'd be better to migrate to a better area... right?
    Because, despite all of the supposed forward thinking that tech companies bring, we’re still stuck in this industrial era mindset that people who work belong in a centralized location. Easily 7/8ths of the jobs being done in these places could be done remotely.

Let me explain this to you a little better I suppose.
    I doubt it

If they're currently living somewhere they have money that they're paying for rent.
    They have money that ALLOWS THEM to pay rent.... got it. Just no money for food, or clothes or health care etc...

Then move in down the way.
    Using what money?

Are you able to understand now?
    I had already understood your mistake when I replied to you the first time.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would not call you crazy for that comment. I would call it a wise suggestion. And many are leaving California.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams