Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Something fishy is going on with those boards
    You know anywhere that got thermal video/imaging of the boards themselves? Because it has to be going somewhere and I'd like to know where

15+ Year Old Account
    Boards do not eat 100w .. it's a convergence of effects.

Such as power delivery to the GPU which may be more on board A than board B.
    No .. this doesn't have to be identical between platforms even if using the same card.

Also if the motherboard used 100w ... You'd literally have a large heavy metal plate as the entire motherboard would be a heatsink in itself .. 100w is A LOT to cool for a PCB.

For something decisive however .. I dunno.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Boards do not eat 100w .. it's a convergence of effects.

Such as power delivery to the GPU which may be more on board A than board B.
    No .. this doesn't have to be identical between platforms even if using the same card.

Also if the motherboard used 100w ... You'd literally have a large heavy metal plate as the entire motherboard would be a heatsink in itself .. 100w is A LOT to cool for a PCB.

For something decisive however .. I dunno.
    Oh yeah, forgot about GPUs. PCIe spec is ~75W I think? But I assume those have been normalized for in the picture, where a 3700x on x470 draws 204 non-oc'd and 201 oc'd, but draws 230 non-oc'd and 301 oc'd. The 3900x draws 298/374 on different platforms too (Both oc'd)

USPS has delivered my motherboard,now to see how long UPS takes to deliver processor and ram,hoping to get them installed before the raid tonight,but given that the local UPS people can't find this town with a map and gps I'm not holding my breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    USPS has delivered my motherboard,now to see how long UPS takes to deliver processor and ram,hoping to get them installed before the raid tonight,but given that the local UPS people can't find this town with a map and gps I'm not holding my breath.
    I stopped using UPS. They as you say can't find the sides of a barn from the inside even if they had a map and flash light.
    On top of that they can't execute simple instructions.

Last time I was forced to use them cause fuck you Amazon UK.
    I told them to place it in the storage box they had 2 km from my home.

They placed it outside my door in a apartment complex when I weren't home and it got stolen because of it, in a area that is known for having thief.

Sorry for going off-topic there. I hope the best mate.

Also on topic holy hell that is a lot of power draw.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I'm down to the last component, the CPU. I cannot find it anywhere. It will be nice having it all built and ready to go though once I find a 3700X.

I picture it on a booby-trapped pedestal in some Peruvian ruin, where I'll swap it with a bag of sand and narrowly escape with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    I stopped using UPS. They as you say can't find the sides of a barn from the inside even if they had a map and flash light.
    On top of that they can't execute simple instructions.

Last time I was forced to use them cause fuck you Amazon UK.
    I told them to place it in the storage box they had 2 km from my home.

They placed it outside my door in a apartment complex when I weren't home and it got stolen because of it, in a area that is known for having thief.

Sorry for going off-topic there. I hope the best mate.

Also on topic holy hell that is a lot of power draw.
    I live in the middle of no where,so no worries about people stealing things from my porch,just means it takes forever for any one other than USPS to deliver things. In the end it could be worse,Amazon could have used DHL.

In the end it could be worse,Amazon could have used DHL.
    In germany DHL does 1 delivery attempt only and you can get your package same-day/next-day from the closest POST office (8:30 - 18:00).
    It's the best thing ever, there is no issues with expensive deliverys going to your neighbors or multi delivery attempts.

If I have a choice, I pay extra for DHL delivery.
    -

Just a heads up, Newegg has 3700X in stock. Just got mine. Expected it to sell out while I was checking out. I had email elerts on but it never alerted me, glad I checked.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Temp name:

There's also the fact of devices.
    Such as amount of fans powered by the board.
    NVMe SSD(s).

God knows what else.

Granted it will be higher than previous chipsets but it will not be 100W of power for the motherboard.
    If it were the motherboard would literally melt in places it has no heatsinks and would be seriously unsafe to touch.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

10+ Year Old Account
    @Temp name:

There's also the fact of devices.
    Such as amount of fans powered by the board.
    NVMe SSD(s).

God knows what else.

Granted it will be higher than previous chipsets but it will not be 100W of power for the motherboard.
    If it were the motherboard would literally melt in places it has no heatsinks and would be seriously unsafe to touch.
    I assume those things are all accounted for and it's a normalized setup and not just a "Just throw whatever on it and take the measurement" thing. Because if it was that, then no one would ever take them seriously again.

I agree that it's very weird that there's going 100W to the MOBO, but either there's something funky going on, or their testing methodology is completely fucking bonkers

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I assume those things are all accounted for and it's a normalized setup and not just a "Just throw whatever on it and take the measurement" thing. Because if it was that, then no one would ever take them seriously again.

I agree that it's very weird that there's going 100W to the MOBO, but either there's something funky going on, or their testing methodology is completely fucking bonkers
    There's always a bit of difference everywhere.
    The SSD is the most likely the biggest difference, but even so it's not that huge.

Der8auer actually tested the chipset's power draw and never got above like 10W fully spamming stuff.

So where that power goes to ... dunno.

At every point Ryzen is seriously more power efficient .. unless there's some weird losses happening within the VRMs that isn't registered with the EPS cable.
    But that would still make the entire PCB be too hot to touch, 100W of power through the PCB of a motherboard without active cooling will literally make it glow red hot.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The SSD is the most likely the biggest difference, but even so it's not that huge.

Der8auer actually tested the chipset's power draw and never got above like 10W fully spamming stuff.

At every point Ryzen is seriously more power efficient .. unless there's some weird losses happening within the VRMs that isn't registered with the EPS cable.
    But that would still make the entire PCB be too hot to touch, 100W of power through the PCB of a motherboard without active cooling will literally make it glow red hot.
    GamersNexus will do a video on it, because they are also getting weird numbers on the power consumption
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

So, they're supposedly re-doing the benchmarks cause word on the street is that the pre-launch day bios/agesa was hindering the boost speeds?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    So, they're supposedly re-doing the benchmarks cause word on the street is that the pre-launch day bios/agesa was hindering the boost speeds?
    Well something is definitely wrong. Non of the testet CPUs are hitting the boost clock speed. I haven't seen any reviews yet, where the 3900x hit the 4.7GHz boost clock and the other CPUs seem to only be able to hit about 4.1-4.2GHz
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Well something is definitely wrong. Non of the testet CPUs are hitting the boost clock speed. I haven't seen any reviews yet, where the 3900x hit the 4.7GHz boost clock and the other CPUs seem to only be able to hit about 4.1-4.2GHz
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...provements_in/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    GN did a followup video https://youtu.be/JUQ9iUyd0uM testing 2/3 different bioses and the 3600 reviews seem to be accurate and their 3900x reviews weren't, but (for them) it was within margin of error enough times that they won't bother. Of course other reviewers might get different results

- - - Updated - - -

That's my problem as well. That power shouldn't exist. If it was some random dude pulling the numbers out of his ass, it would just be down to using a different GPU, or whatever. But a real publication showing that 100W more entered the computer and just.. Disappeared? I really want to know where that power is going, because something's funky

Apparently the monitoring tools are starting up the CPU's so they aren't able to idle properly according to AMD.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...3rd_gen_ryzen/

Hi, everyone. I've spoken to many of you publicly or privately over the past 48H to better understand why you are seeing idle voltages the community considers to be high. Some of the back-and-forth was covered in this thread, but I wanted to submit my own post to bring more visibility to this topic. We have a final answer for you.

Understanding What's Going On

We have determined that many popular monitoring tools are quite aggressive in how they monitor the behavior of a core. Some of them wake every core in the system for 20ms, and do this as often as every 200ms. From the perspective of the processor firmware, this is interpreted as a workload that's asking for sustained performance from the core(s). The firmware is designed to respond to such a pattern by boosting: higher clocks, higher voltages.

The Effect of This Pattern

So, if you're sitting there staring at your monitoring tool, the tool is constantly instructing all the cores to wake up and boost. This will keep the clockspeeds high, and the corresponding voltages will be elevated to support that boost. This is a classic case of observer effect: you're expecting the tool to give valid data, but it's actually producing invalid data by virtue of how it's measuring.

and

CPU-Z does an excellent job of showing you the current/true idle core voltage without observer effect.

15+ Year Old Account
    They used the wrong BIOS from the start. All the other reviewers used the right BIOS and GN has also used the brand new BIOS and all the saw was a 2% boost and 2.7% in 1 game

10+ Year Old Account
    They used the wrong BIOS from the start. All the other reviewers used the right BIOS and GN has also used the brand new BIOS and all the saw was a 2% boost and 2.7% in 1 game
    They uploaded their 3700x review and corrected the 2.7% down to ~1%