Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Shadow Priest place in the world... of classic

With Classic coming in a few months, I'm excited to try a class I have never played in my whole WoW career (Vanilla) that is a Priest; Besides in the AV beta that I played shadow and loved.

Shadow being a pvp power house but most guild don't have a raid spot for them or limited to 1 per raid. I'm curious on how many guilds will be open to inviting one to raid. Do you think most people are going to be Mid Maxing everything to the extreme that they wont allow a SPriest to tag along?

Side Note: if you know of a guild looking for one let me know

Aparently the ideal thing to do is to:
    1. screw over your locks, and not bring the shadow weaving debuff
    or
    2. bring a disc priest that can keep up the shadow weaving debuff and is speced into a bit of shadow talents.

People talk on the forms about min maxing to the point where it makes you sick. Then others turn around and point out how easy classic is. What is the point of running a totally optimized raid when its unnessisary? Are raid leaders really going to not bring ANY suboptimal classes to raid, even if they are consistent dedicated players? I think the answer to both of those questions is obvious, and might slightly change in later content if naxx realy turns out to be hard, but i think the more likely situation is a guild would just not raid naxx.

Players are going to naturaly gravitate to more powerful classes anyway, so i think it will sort of work itself out. But i think its a good asumption that no raid is going to want to have 3 shadow priests in it in classic.

and one last thing, im farily sure the primary reason shadow isn't that great is beacuse they have extream mana issues, so for long fights you might find yourself casting rank one mind flay to keep up your debuff and nothing else.

There are going to be people taking shadow priests, but dont expect the guilds who will to be good, or to get any gear.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Mana-mana
    Tu-tuuu tu-dudu
    Mana-mana
    Tu-tu du-du
    Mana-mana
    Tu-tuuu tu-du-du tu-du-du tu-du-du tu-tu-tu-du-du tu-tu-tu-tu-du-du
    Last edited by Army Dreamer; 2019-05-03 at 07:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Spriests will find spots in guilds and pugs later on in Classic, but the early birds will likely be more serious and unaccepting of the weaker specs. Once Warlocks become good dps with their bloodvine set and the later tier sets, then groups will start looking for an Spriest to give locks the shadow weaving debuff.

Dont worry mate, just join a normal guild that doesnt care about meta. You will still clear MC/BWL/ZG/AQ20 with such guilds. If you really like the class and want to PvP go for it.

Or maybe heal in raids and do shadow things in PvP if you want to join a more hardcore guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    Mana-mana
    Tu-tuuu tu-dudu
    Mana-mana
    Tu-tu du-du
    Mana-mana
    Yea that's BC Shadow Priest

Not mana batteries yet

Every good guild will carry one and only 1 spriest. You will have priority for loot likely below all ranged dps and also for weapons you may share with healers (anathema Will (should) go to healing priests first, lokamir should go to shaman/pala/Druid healers before you.

Bad guilds may be okay with taking more, but if you’re the sort of folks who let 6 shadowpriest into your raid—it’s gonna be a bad time.

Spriests eat up debuff slots, do shit damage (not just dps, either. Their mana management is so bad that without significant consumables and otherwise good raid dps—they will go oom before the mob dies), and are in competition for mage/lock loot.

Speed runner guilds will have maybe one, but there is a new meta of a healing priest getting shadow weaving and keeping an r1 swp on boss. If you can do that, and run with the same lean healer team, you can squeeze another real dps in.

I am going to guess there will be a ton of raids looking for bodies and a reliable person will be taken regardless of spec because 40 slots is just so many. But the better raid groups on each server will be selective because they can.

He's a mage.

Don't bother replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    Mana-mana
    Tu-tuuu tu-dudu
    Mana-mana
    Tu-tu du-du
    Mana-mana
    If you prioritize MP5 and remove Mind Blast from your rotation mana won't be a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    If you prioritize MP5 and remove Mind Blast from your rotation mana won't be a problem.
    And then you do noooooooooo damage.

Fact is that it's better to have a heal-specced priest drop points into Shadow Weaving and quick-spam 5x R1 SW:P at the start of a fight than actually devote a whole slot to a Shadow Priest.

If you do decide to run SPriests they better farm consumes so they can use MB regularly, otherwise they're nothing but 24 yard Mind Flay bots doing trash-tier DPS.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

As long as you don't try to join a guild that is all "world first 2019 boss that died over a decade ago" it won't be a big deal. Sure if EVERYONE in the raid is a meme spec it might be a problem but odds are high that won't be the case. Not to mention shadow is one of those specs that can actually find use. Specifically considering the debuff counter being 16.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    And then you do noooooooooo damage.

Fact is that it's better to have a heal-specced priest drop points into Shadow Weaving and quick-spam 5x R1 SW:P at the start of a fight than actually devote a whole slot to a Shadow Priest.

If you do decide to run SPriests they better farm consumes so they can use MB regularly, otherwise they're nothing but 24 yard Mind Flay bots doing trash-tier DPS.
    If you go OOM you do even less damage and the fact is that the vast vast vast majority of healers don't want to gimp themselves and spec into shadow weaving.

Your realistic choices are to either bring a shadow priest or to reduce warlock damage by 15%. Both are acceptable choices but you can't eat your cake and have it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you go OOM you do even less damage and the fact is that the vast vast vast majority of healers don't want to gimp themselves and spec into shadow weaving.

Your realistic choices are to either bring a shadow priest or to reduce warlock damage by 15%. Both are acceptable choices but you can't eat your cake and have it too.
    I would rather see a single slightly non-optimal healer and buffed Warlocks than no SW buff at all.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I used to raid in classic wow as a shadow priest, I just said I was holy and healed. You really can't inspect anyone to double check and really the hardest part of MC is getting enough people. If you know anything about BWL you'll be fine with anything.

You can probably get into a guild with Shadow Weaving. Other than that the second best thing as an SP is to hope TBC Classic will be a thing so that you'll become a mana battery with decent DPS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heartless8604 View Post
    I used to raid in classic wow as a shadow priest, I just said I was holy and healed. You really can't inspect anyone to double check and really the hardest part of MC is getting enough people. If you know anything about BWL you'll be fine with anything.
    Lmao. I really wouldn't advise that.

Quote Originally Posted by heartless8604 View Post
    theres a thing called armory on their own website. GL trying to scamaz

15+ Year Old Account
    Guilds will want 1 and only 1 shadow priest to buff warlock damage. You will be expected to throw out the occasional heals too. Raided MC-Naxx in vanilla. I knew my place and was fortunate enough to be in guilds that knew how to utilize shadow priests.

This is nitpicky, but reducing Warlock damage and missing out on a potential damage increase are very different things.