Poll: WORST expansion in the last five years

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Worst expansion within the last 5 years?

Starting from when the first expansion was RELEASED in that time period which would be WoD (November 13th, 2014). up to now which gives us three options: WoD, Legion, and BfA. After voting describe what expansion 8 should and shouldn’t have from the last five years.

Before voting consider all the important aspects:
    Gameplay
    Immersion
    Visuals
    Art
    Story
    Personal Enjoyment
    Removing rose tinted glasses
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Cata is by far the worst,then the awful WoD Virus .

WoD, definitely. BFA is almost as bad, but at least it's being worked on. WoD basically got abandoned.

Even though BfA so far has come close, WoD still holds the title of worst. Because BfA isn't yet finished, and it looks like 8.2 is actually bringing things to do, and interesting content. If 8.3 follows up and continues that trend, then it'll be fine. If 8.3 doesn't happen, and Blizzard cuts it to the next expansion, then I might put BfA as worst.

Negative questions are often so boring. So, to turn it around, the expansion I've enjoyed most this past 5 years is...BfA.

As much as I love WoD's Music, Art, and Raids, I gotta choose it.

Legion was saved due to Artifacts (People hate it, though I still adore them), Antorus (Best Raid. Fight me), as well as the fact that we finally fought and defeated the Legion's top commanders (As well as Sargeras himself).

And BFA is ONLY saved thanks to the Old Gods...

WoD suffered from months without content post-launch, a shit ending, a 14 month (I think?) wait for the next expansion's content, as well as other external/internal BS. Though, Archimonde and Gul'dan were fucking badass. Same with Khadgar. I miss Khadgar.

WOD>Legion>BFA

WOD had, by far, the best class design and encounter design of the 3. Basically just the best gameplay in general. I don't care that the plot was retarded or that the devs wasted time making garrisons, gameplay is and will always be the most important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by makls View Post
    Cata is by far the worst,then the awful WoD Virus .
    Cataclysm was 8.5 years ago mate.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

BFA, nothing else comes even close.

WoD was rushed and while the initial story was interesting they completely mangled it as they went on but at least the class design was decent. And a lot of classes felt fun to play. Ashran was fun at times. and the raid were alright.

BFA has absolutely horrible class design and almost all classes are bloated with skills that add little to nothing to the classes also most things that were fun have been split up behind talents and traits. azrite traits are awful. all forms of pvp save for normal BG's and arena are horrendous. Take the assaults for example; you can't complete the quests in a raid, yet those who want to pvp will create raids to farm people. This creates the consistent situation where people who want to do the quest will have to dodge the raids while those who do the raiding will rarely find opposition. you can't farm for specific pieces of equipment as almost all rewards are rng and worse yet (but this isn't really bfa specific) if your gear doesn't warforge/titanforge it's virtually useless. And don't get me started on war-fronts, those are just sad. But atleast the alliance storyline is fun, on the otherhand the horde story line is absolute garbage.

BfA easily. For most people the contender would be WoD, but WoD was much more fun to play, its only real problem was that we didn't get enough of it, which is unfortunate. BfA on the other hand has an absurd amount of lazy, repetitive content that we play through with gutted classes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    WOD>Legion>BFA

WOD had, by far, the best class design and encounter design of the 3. Basically just the best gameplay in general. I don't care that the plot was retarded or that the devs wasted time making garrisons, gameplay is and will always be the most important factor.
    Pretty much. WoD's classes, raids and dungeons were good, so even if it had basically nothing else worth mentioning, that puts it ahead of BfA.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    These threads are always hilarious, WOW at its worst is still a tier 1 MMO. For reference Bless Online is a tier 4 MMO, Secret World Legends is Tier 3, and ESO is a tier 2 IE the other MMO you sub to when your main MMO is in-between major content patches.

WoD is probably the worst thing they've ever done primarily because they chose to leave it unfinished. Personal theory is that had they given it the attention they're trying to give BFA and they did give Legion it would've been just fine. A chapter 3 + final raid and something like WQ or M+ to get us out of our Garrison could've made WoD pretty great. It's the last expansion before rented power and fisher price class design became the norm.

I don't think BFA is actually all that bad. WoD had me legitimately angry, this is just kinda...blah? I am not entirely sure why my interest in WoW has dropped so much, maybe it's because I'm older. The game has definitely suffered and I don't agree with some things they have done but it's hardly as bad as an expansion where they just go "fuck it" like they did with WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easily, Warlords.

BfA is disappointing and I've never much cared for the theme but even a grey two-thirds version of Legion is going to be better than Warlords. Warlords was a good expansion for raiders though. That needs to be said. The expansion was planned and executed to get as many people into raiding as was possible. That's also one reason why it failed so badly.

Confession: I haven't really enjoyed any of the last three although Warlords made me unsubscribe for the first time since Burning Crusade. Warlords was a total fuckup on Blizzard's part. Legion changed my shadow priest from what it was for years into someone else and I haven't picked it back up since. That one change has made it pretty easy for me to walk away. Playing mage now but not into it as much as I was with SP.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-06-01 at 11:56 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

For me its a toss up between WoD and BFA.

Here is my problem with WoD.. it just had no content. Tier one was suppose to be .5 of the expansion and was bumped up. The other side of the .5 was turned into the tier 2. The final zone of the last patch was suppose to be in at launch. Larger capital cities were pull from the project. It was just a content nightmare. But as for the game when you actually were playing it? Not to bad.

BFA is kind of the opposite. Their is tons of content and I mean a LOT of content. But the game play is total ass while doing it. A lot of the content is so pointless you don't bother with it. A lot of it just pretty much plays itself. A whole lot of it was way over sold as something insanely special and turned out to just be another run of the mill system that turned out to be a lot of hot air.

As for Legion it sits in the middle. Good content release cycle and a lot to do but not as much as BFA. Game play wasn't all that great but it was certainly better than BFA. So this middle ground made it an alright experience. Sure not the all time greatest in my opinion but certainly the best of the past 5 years.

i'm going with legion as it started the mess that is BFA in terms of game style. WoD is one of my favorites really, maybe even 2nd with WotLK being first.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

This is hard to say. WoD lacked content but had good gameplay with good dungeons and raids. BFA has a lot of content but boring gameplay, mediocre dungeons and below average raids. Story wise they are both shit. I guess WoD dissapointed me a lot more with the cutting of Farahlon and the ogre continent, so it probably takes the edge so far.

As for Legion, I have some gripes with this expansion but overall it did a lot better than both WoD and BFA. The class campaigns, Suramar, mage tower and mythic+ have been rather solid new additions to the game. Its a shame that BFA did not capitalise on that.
    Last edited by McNeil; 2019-06-02 at 12:10 AM.

Disclaimer: I mainly play for casual PvP. Cata was the last time I played arena seriously.

I actually spent more time playing WoD than Legion. WoD was the most alt-friendly expansion of all time. The more maxed out garrisons you had, the more gold you made. I really did like building up your Garrison into a gold farming army, it felt rewarding and it took a while.

Legion had a far more interesting story, and I liked how Subtlety played. My problem with Legion was that it was not very alt friendly until much later, and you had to PvE to be good in PvP. Battlegrounds didn't really reward good gear at all.

Legion was kind of a kick in the balls for me from a gameplay perspective, and WoD kept me interested because of how rewarding leveling alts were. I feel like I got more enjoyment from WoD because I got to experience a lot of classes I never bothered much with. I haven't even played BFA, so I'm not going to vote.

TLDR; I actually had more fun long term in WoD than Legion.

Warlords of Draenor.

Not even a competition.

wod at least had a semblence of class design
    This isn't the same company. They are not in touch with the playerbase, they are hellbent on profit, and yea companies deserve profit, but not at the cost of the health of the game, and they became their own worst enemy. WoW was special not because of vanilla, bc, or wrath. No nostalgia here. It was special because of Blizzards involvement with the community, which is all but lost now. They changed everything into the least possible communication with the community.