Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    It's absolutely the job of the Football Association to fix the national team, which in itself will be fixed by addressing the entire structure in place.

Bayern are undoubtedly a well run club, but they also just make more money by being such a global brand. They have international appeal, whereas the smaller clubs don't. The same as smaller clubs in England. However, the television rights associated with the Premiership are just so lucrative.
    I meant, the FA can't force clubs to produce the talent for the NT. That's not how it works, all they can do is appoint a manager that pulls the talent that already exists from the pool of FA clubs. But the clubs are the ones that have to produce the talent.

Bayern had to scramble to be where they are, they almost missed the train of Manchester United and Real Madrid making big bank abroad.

In other news, Inter Milan and Athletico Madrid also pulled out of the ESL. By the end of this week, the ESL will consist of Real Madrid and Perez looking forward to winning the title every season.
    Last edited by Slant; 2021-04-21 at 11:23 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm not saying it's the FA's job to fix the NT, but it's a side effect that I commented on, I think I said this during one of the big tournaments, World Cup or whatever, when English fans were complaining about their NT once more. If you don't let your youth develop into world stars, don't be surprised if the biggest star in recent years has been a dunce like Wayne Rooney. Now, I'm going to draw much hate for that comment, but let's be honest, the lad had dedication and motivation for a dozen people, but he wasn't the most gifted footballer.

Bayern's secret is not so secret actually. Not much to analyse, they don't fuck around is all. If they want a player, they go for him. And if they don't get him immediately, they'll look for someone else. The only thing Bayern does that others aren't is that Bayern isn't obsessed with names. And they have become increasingly good at taking rejects from other clubs and turning them into world stars. Ribery was hated in France before he came to Bayern, Robben was on the bench in Madrid everyone saying he's a glas cannon. 10 years later at Bayern and everyone calls them the best pair of wingers in their time. Funny how that goes.

And half the time it just doesn't work out. Douglas Costa, he's back at Bayern on loan... he's still shite, he'll go back to Italy and I'll still be puzzled why anyone would hire him. That Portoguese player with the Rastas? He had ONE good tournament during a Euro, everyone thought he was the next talent to look out for. Turns out he didn't develop, stagnated and basically just sucks. Blames everyone but himself for his lack of success, no thanks, pass, you can go to some other dipshit club and ruin their record. It's amazing how other clubs keep buying bad players off us. We're very lucky in that.

Alaba is going to be funny... I predict he's going to play in midfield the first few games, then they decide he's shit in midfield and put him back in CB or FB.

- - - Updated - - -

That's an issue with fans and FIFA games. I might be totally wrong, but sometimes to me it seems English football is a discussion about the merits of player cards in FIFA rather than rl football. I get it, you buy a player to sell jerseys, and Neymar is definitely on the level that he could do it, too. But ignore all that, he's also a damned good player and a good addition to any team. He's one of maybe 2-3 people that ARE actually worth over 50 million bucks. He's not the problem. The problem is someone like Sane suddenly being worth 100 million. What the actual... suddenly everyone thinks they're a Neymar? Because on their FIFA player card it says they're a 100 at sprinting or whatever it says in that cancer game? No, that's not how this works.
    Yes it's madness. Especially if you look at how fast prices went up. I disagree with neymar. Can you imagine having him as your teammate. Absolute toxic dickhead through and through.

I meant, the FA can't force clubs to produce the talent for the NT. That's not how it works, all they can do is appoint a manager that pulls the talent that already exists from the pool of FA clubs. But the clubs are the ones that have to produce the talent.

Bayern had to scramble to be where they are, they almost missed the train of Manchester United and Real Madrid making big bank abroad.

In other news, Inter Milan and Athletico Madrid also pulled out of the ESL. By the end of this week, the ESL will consist of Real Madrid and Perez looking forward to winning the title every season.
    Yeah, that part is but obvious. What the FA can do is work with the Government to introduce structural reforms to the system as a whole.

They might have scrambled, but had a massive brand to leverage compared to say Monchengladbach even, despite the latter's history.

The ESL fell apart the minute UEFA offered the English clubs big money to turn around. The £5bn plan Ceferin is working on will keep the greedy owners at bay as well, no doubt. Same old story. Money making the world go round. Things need changing, and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringefest View Post
    Yes it's madness. Especially if you look at how fast prices went up. I disagree with neymar. Can you imagine having him as your teammate. Absolute toxic dickhead through and through.
    I'm not saying he's a nice player. But he's a good player. You think the teammates of Maradona liked him seemingly physically unable to pass the ball to them? Neymar represents the playful nature of football so very well, I can't fault him for having fun on the pitch. Is he a dick for his antics? Absolutely, but if he signed for Bayern, I would not be unhappy about it.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

There's loads the FA can do. They can put restrictions on the amount of foreign players allowed to be signed in. It's all about that at the end of the day. Focus on local youth clubs, money stays at local level, national teams develop properly, everyone's happy.

There's loads the FA can do. They can put restrictions on the amount of foreign players allowed to be signed in. It's all about that at the end of the day. Focus on local youth clubs, money stays at local level, national teams develop properly, everyone's happy.
    Ah, yeah... you're no longer in the EU, you could actually re-introduce that restriction. Like in the old days! Holy cow, I actually found a positive in Brexit!

Ah, yeah... you're no longer in the EU, you could actually re-introduce that restriction. Like in the old days! Holy cow, I actually found a positive in Brexit!
    I'm not English, but I think that could be done even in Europe? Good thing about football is you could say that and not be branded as racist

Been some crazy days thats for sure. I was not surprised this move happend, im more surprised how quickly they pulled out of it. I mean, what did they think the reactions would be?

Im glad fans reacted this way, now they just gotta keep the momentum up and push for more changes. This feels like a win, but theres still dire problems in football. Being happy with Status qoue will only serve these owners. Sooner or later this will be brought back up again and if we keep going like usual, this will be the natural next step.

German clubs coming out of this looking like the good guys, when in fact how the clubs are structured there are forcing them to not join in. Fans have a say there with how ownership works and what the club can/cant do. A model like that(it has flaws) would be needed in all clubs across Europe. The clubs belong to the fans, the fans should have a say in it. Always.

UEFA and FIFA are still corrupt, greedy and not at all the good guys here. UEFA especially in this case got afraid that someone would ruin the monopoly they have. THey want the control, they want the money, they want the power.

Sad thing is, people will go back to normal now and forget about the obvious errors in the "football pyramids". These 12 clubs will with the new CL format get more money than ever and the gap between them and the rest will only get bigger. But ofc - its done with UEFAs blessing.

I'm not English, but I think that could be done even in Europe? Good thing about football is you could say that and not be branded as racist
    First, England is still in Europe, whether they like it or not. But I know you're talking about the EU. Under EU labor law, there can be no restrictions of EU citizens to work in another country. Essentially, you can't put a limit on EU players in your squad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosman_ruling

Wasnt it Wenger who once said "Well, do you want the best league product to sell or the best national team?". With that he questioned what FA and the people in England wants in the end. If you want the best players, you gotta bring them in no matter where they are from, salary or pricetag. If not, produce your own players but expect the overall quality to go down.

Imagine if every english team were allowed 1-3 players outside of UK.

So the big thing is being English doesn't denote colour, right? I'm English, but I'm not white. England is my home. If anything, instituting a system that encourages homegrown (national/local split) talent means you're more likely to find more diverse English talent. They could be of any ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Been some crazy days thats for sure. I was not surprised this move happend, im more surprised how quickly they pulled out of it. I mean, what did they think the reactions would be?

Im glad fans reacted this way, now they just gotta keep the momentum up and push for more changes. This feels like a win, but theres still dire problems in football. Being happy with Status qoue will only serve these owners. Sooner or later this will be brought back up again and if we keep going like usual, this will be the natural next step.

German clubs coming out of this looking like the good guys, when in fact how the clubs are structured there are forcing them to not join in. Fans have a say there with how ownership works and what the club can/cant do. A model like that(it has flaws) would be needed in all clubs across Europe. The clubs belong to the fans, the fans should have a say in it. Always.

UEFA and FIFA are still corrupt, greedy and not at all the good guys here. UEFA especially in this case got afraid that someone would ruin the monopoly they have. THey want the control, they want the money, they want the power.

Sad thing is, people will go back to normal now and forget about the obvious errors in the "football pyramids". These 12 clubs will with the new CL format get more money than ever and the gap between them and the rest will only get bigger. But ofc - its done with UEFAs blessing.
    Yeah, I'm not surprised they tried it. Doesn't mean I was in favour of it, but I could see the writing on the wall. Truth is they didn't do it right. Is there a scope for a revamped Champions' League that incorporates the ideas of the Super League? Sure. This Swiss system is more or less that. Depending on what groups people get drawn into, the big clubs will be playing each other regularly year in year out to some degree. Just split between two groups instead of one big league. UEFA and FIFA are massively corrupt. Had they worked with clubs from the start alongside the national FAs, football wouldn't be in the state it is right now. There's too much money and too much greed involved. Like you said, the difference between the Super League and UCL at a financial level is that one is with UEFA's blessing and the other isn't. The entire situation stinks regardless, and there's so much work that needs to be done in order to fix the matter. No one is blameless, no one deserves forgiveness. Start acting.

So the big thing is being English doesn't denote colour, right? I'm English, but I'm not white. England is my home. If anything, instituting a system that encourages homegrown (national/local split) talent means you're more likely to find more diverse English talent. They could be of any ethnicity.

Yeah, I'm not surprised they tried it. Doesn't mean I was in favour of it, but I could see the writing on the wall. Truth is they didn't do it right. Is there a scope for a revamped Champions' League that incorporates the ideas of the Super League? Sure. This Swiss system is more or less that. Depending on what groups people get drawn into, the big clubs will be playing each other regularly year in year out to some degree. Just split between two groups instead of one big league. UEFA and FIFA are massively corrupt. Had they worked with clubs from the start alongside the national FAs, football wouldn't be in the state it is right now. There's too much money and too much greed involved. Like you said, the difference between the Super League and UCL at a financial level is that one is with UEFA's blessing and the other isn't. The entire situation stinks regardless, and there's so much work that needs to be done in order to fix the matter. No one is blameless, no one deserves forgiveness. Start acting.
    Yeah mine wasn't that serious a comment

Yeah mine wasn't that serious a comment
    I know, it was more so to address the criticisms of nationalism that Atletic Bilbao have levelled towards them.

First, England is still in Europe, whether they like it or not. But I know you're talking about the EU. Under EU labor law, there can be no restrictions of EU citizens to work in another country. Essentially, you can't put a limit on EU players in your squad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosman_ruling
    Wasnt it Wenger who once said "Well, do you want the best league product to sell or the best national team?". With that he questioned what FA and the people in England wants in the end. If you want the best players, you gotta bring them in no matter where they are from, salary or pricetag. If not, produce your own players but expect the overall quality to go down.

Imagine if every english team were allowed 1-3 players outside of UK.
    Simple way to look at it is don't limit the number of EU players. Just institute a minimum number of locally and nationally sourced talent.

I know, it was more so to address the criticisms of nationalism that Atletic Bilbao have levelled towards them.

Simple way to look at it is don't limit the number of EU players. Just institute a minimum number of locally and nationally sourced talent.
    What did they say? I didn't follow that one.
    Yes I was reading up on the "homegrown player rule". Basically a team would have to have a minimum of nationally sourced talent. You're not limiting anything technically *wink wink*

What did they say? I didn't follow that one.
    Yes I was reading up on the "homegrown player rule". Basically a team would have to have a minimum of nationally sourced talent. You're not limiting anything technically *wink wink*
    Ah, just generally a lot of folk say Bilbao behave in a 'nationalist' fashion because they have a 'Basque only' rule.

Bingo, it's not limiting foreign talent. It's only ensuring local talent are given the opportunity to develop.

Ah, just generally a lot of folk say Bilbao behave in a 'nationalist' fashion because they have a 'Basque only' rule.

Bingo, it's not limiting foreign talent. It's only ensuring local talent are given the opportunity to develop.
    That's it. We fixed football.

That's it. We fixed football.
    If only. Doing something like this would upset the pants off the money makers. WHAT SO YOU'RE SAYING WE CAN'T SPEND AN ENTIRE SMALL COUNTRY'S GDP ON BUILDING A FOOTBALL TEAM? Everyone, from the brands to the broadcasters to the agents to the clubs to the politicians even would never want something like this, dare it 'reduce the quality of the game'. Imagine being so blinded that they think having local/nationally sourced talent results in a 'poor competition that no one would watch'. That's the excuse I got from a Manchester United supporting friend yesterday.

And it's like...it's about balance. Yeah, they won't be able to find a Maradona from Wolverhampton overnight. But give it some god damn time, and show the country they actually care about grassroots sports. When Jude Bellingham or Jadon Sancho have to go abroad to ply their trade, the FA ought to know they're missing a trick. Jamie Vardy built his career over time. Patrick Bamford built his career over time. There are quality players out there. Just give them a god damn chance instead of just spunking millions on a player that's ready made to 'succeed'. It's shortsighted and greedy.

My point was that if FA wants Premier League to be the very best commercial product to sell, they need the best players and managers. No matter where they are from. If the focus was shifted towards more local players, the overall quality would go down, thats only a given. That might not matter to the local fans, but it matters when you are supposed to break sales records to tv companies every couple of years. WIthout the very best players, it lessers the product.

France got one heck of a national team, but Ligue 1 aint nowhere near the commercial success of PL. Why? cause the money and very best players is elsewhere. PSG is the odd one off there, but its not even close.

PL needs the best, always. Best managers, best players. They have to in order to achieve commercial success.

Im not saying FA shouldnt push for it, but it will have consequenses. Sometimes I feel like fans of english teams wants the best of both worlds. Mostly local driven teams, with local players, fan owned clubs. As it stands now, that wont happen.

- - - Updated - - -

If only. Doing something like this would upset the pants off the money makers. WHAT SO YOU'RE SAYING WE CAN'T SPEND AN ENTIRE SMALL COUNTRY'S GDP ON BUILDING A FOOTBALL TEAM? Everyone, from the brands to the broadcasters to the agents to the clubs to the politicians even would never want something like this, dare it 'reduce the quality of the game'. Imagine being so blinded that they think having local/nationally sourced talent results in a 'poor competition that no one would watch'. That's the excuse I got from a Manchester United supporting friend yesterday.

And it's like...it's about balance. Yeah, they won't be able to find a Maradona from Wolverhampton overnight. But give it some god damn time, and show the country they actually care about grassroots sports. When Jude Bellingham or Jadon Sancho have to go abroad to ply their trade, the FA ought to know they're missing a trick. Jamie Vardy built his career over time. Patrick Bamford built his career over time. There are quality players out there. Just give them a god damn chance instead of just spunking millions on a player that's ready made to 'succeed'. It's shortsighted and greedy.
    Good examples, and I get what you are saying. But imagine filling every team in english football with local players. The quality would go down. The examples you use are players who made it, despite it being very difficult. Players who also already play in fantastic teams with managers and players all over the world.

Gotta stress it again - I am not against what you are saying, I would very much welcome it. But the quality would not be the same. its easier for FA and the clubs in PL to spend money on proven talents from all over the world, instead of gambling it all on locals. Right now they dip into both - buys the best from all over the world, gets up a couple of local players now and then.

I would also very much welcome if FA actually decided to focus alot more on grassroot football. Thats going to be a hard call though.

My point was that if FA wants Premier League to be the very best commercial product to sell, they need the best players and managers. No matter where they are from. If the focus was shifted towards more local players, the overall quality would go down, thats only a given. That might not matter to the local fans, but it matters when you are supposed to break sales records to tv companies every couple of years. WIthout the very best players, it lessers the product.

France got one heck of a national team, but Ligue 1 aint nowhere near the commercial success of PL. Why? cause the money and very best players is elsewhere. PSG is the odd one off there, but its not even close.

PL needs the best, always. Best managers, best players. They have to in order to achieve commercial success.

Im not saying FA shouldnt push for it, but it will have consequenses. Sometimes I feel like fans of english teams wants the best of both worlds. Mostly local driven teams, with local players, fan owned clubs. As it stands now, that wont happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Good examples, and I get what you are saying. But imagine filling every team in english football with local players. The quality would go down. The examples you use are players who made it, despite it being very difficult. Players who also already play in fantastic teams with managers and players all over the world.

Gotta stress it again - I am not against what you are saying, I would very much welcome it. But the quality would not be the same. its easier for FA and the clubs in PL to spend money on proven talents from all over the world, instead of gambling it all on locals. Right now they dip into both - buys the best from all over the world, gets up a couple of local players now and then.
    Oh yeah well it's a long term plan. Serious investments at local level would have noticeable results I'd say after a few years. It's undeniable that the quality of the teams will drop.
    At the end of the day, we're talking football. Do you really need billions in revenue as a football team?

It's simpler than that, for you guys it doesn't matter if it's an EU player or not. As far as English football is concerned, an EU player is the same as a Brazilian or a Japanese player. You are no longer bound by EU freedom of movement and labor.