Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    that works lol
    I think it started with the second Dragon Age? You had very clear examples of companions who would only mention homosexual experiences IF you approached them romantically while of the same sex. It's a compromise to still provide queer content while not scaring off the straights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think it started with the second Dragon Age? You had very clear examples of companions who would only mention homosexual experiences IF you approached them romantically while of the same sex. It's a compromise to still provide queer content while not scaring off the straights.
    yeah that was mentioned in a reddit post as well about Kevin's live stream " Kevin VanOrd’s statement suggests the writers have an intended orientation in mind, which is funny, since VanOrd said he liked the DA2 approach. He said that he considers Gale and Wyll to be “straight dudes,” with Astarion being a hedonist who will “fuck anything that moves,” and Lae’zel is pansexual. Considering she’s in love with an animated corpse, and can most likely pair with someone of an entirely different species or race, that doesn’t sound far off. Shadowheart was straight, but “a little bicurious” in his words."
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    TBF they said "created character" and "playable NPC", so at no point did they say Astarion couldn't be your MC.
    The game can be played as any of the origin characters. You can play the game as Astarion if you want to. You don't have to create a new character, that's entirely optional.

Personally, I prefer playing as origin characters because they are already fleshed out and have a past, while the created character is just a nameless rando that pops into existence.

I will first play as a vengeance paladin Dark Urge Dragonborn, and the 2nd playthrough as Shadowheart, and 3rd as Karlach.

How are you all planning playthroughs? Around companions?
    Dark Urge really opens things up so much. I assume like the Bhaalspawn you will have options to both given in and resist.
    My evil playthrough absolutely will use the Dark Urge Origin and recruit both Astarion or Minthara, romancing either of them (or both if Larian actually allows that).
    Jaheira and Minsc are the only companions I am just not interested in having around unless a reliable mod for larger parties is created. Never liked Jaheira and Minsc is fine as comic relief but I don't need comic relief with just four party members.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, planning is a big word here. I just know I'll do a standard goodie-two-shoes playthrough first and then reasonably evil playthrough second.

Companions? I just know that Shart will probably be in both playthroughs, because she seems like someone who can go both ways and I like the character (and cleric is just useful to have). Then for the goodie good playthrough probably Karlach, Gale, which would round out pretty well overall. And for the bag of dicks playthrough - Shart, Emoboi and Toad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Eh, planning is a big word here. I just know I'll do a standard goodie-two-shoes playthrough first and then reasonably evil playthrough second.

Companions? I just know that Shart will probably be in both playthroughs, because she seems like someone who can go both ways and I like the character (and cleric is just useful to have). Then for the goodie good playthrough probably Karlach, Gale, which would round out pretty well overall. And for the bag of dicks playthrough - Shart, Emoboi and Toad.
    No Minthara or Halsin? Travesty. You have an evil drow paladin and you are not using them for an evil playthrough! For shame

10+ Year Old Account
    No Minthara or Halsin? Travesty. You have an evil drow paladin and you are not using them for an evil playthrough! For shame
    Halsin don't care about, first playthrough is whatever for him guess he will rot in my camp and second one I'll happily choke him myself.

Minthara, yes for second playthrough instead of Emoboi.

Emoboi and Wyll both go off the cliff then. There you go playthrough planned.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game kinda reminds me of Dragon Age Origins when it comes to the amount of decisions, except BG turned it up to 11. Even in Dragon Age: Origins you can kill most of your companions and make dumb silly decisions similar to BG3. So I am looking forward to this.

Dragon Age games since Awakening haven't really delivered on the player choice front or been as good as Origins as far as that RPG experience goes so BG3 might fill that void.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Btw has there been any talk of a possible expansion? I know it's premature . . .

1+ Year Old Account
    Btw has there been any talk of a possible expansion? I know it's premature . . .
    Larian doesn't do expansions tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Larian doesn't do expansions tbh.
    But, lvl 13-20! Teleportation!!!

1+ Year Old Account
    So this is where Blizzard ripped Azshara from.

Azshara and Umberlee have no connection whatsoever . . .
    Umberlee is one of the original deities of Toril, her domain existed since after the creation of the planet. Traditionally her main themes are deep sea invertebrates (from kraken to jellyfish), aquatic undead and pirates but when she herself appears it is usually in the form of a giant woman with blue skin, nothing like what is depicted her. Her main involvement in the story of FR is through that of Iakhovas, a wereshark who was her proxy and lover. The little character she has is mostly in relation to the other Gods of Fury, mostly a deeply antagonistic relation with both Auril and Talos (who she has long tried to seduce to keep him from stealing part of her power, to no avail).

She was never a mortal is not an arcanist (she is simply a god) and has never ruled Toril in any way.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2023-07-10 at 10:54 AM.

I do hope this game runs well enough on this computer that I should really upgrade by now. Its slightly below recommended, but well above minimum.

As it happens, I had the same problem back with DOS2. I remember how the game suddenly became much nicer once I got new pc during it.

Going to buy it anyway...

1+ Year Old Account
    Modding Baldur's Gate 3. These clothes don't exist in the base game, they are mods that you will find on https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3 , though you will likely have to make an account there and look in the...not-so-much-safe-for-work section.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dark Urge really opens things up so much. I assume like the Bhaalspawn you will have options to both given in and resist.
    My evil playthrough absolutely will use the Dark Urge Origin and recruit both Astarion or Minthara, romancing either of them (or both if Larian actually allows that).
    Jaheira and Minsc are the only companions I am just not interested in having around unless a reliable mod for larger parties is created. Never liked Jaheira and Minsc is fine as comic relief but I don't need comic relief with just four party members.
    My first play-through will be custom Dark Urge shadow monk/gloomstalker ranger. Would like to play bard as well, mainly due to all those skill points they can spent, and I do love to pass different checks in RPG's. With not knowing that much about companions, I will probably team up with Gale, Wyll and Karlach. Will probably have to cover rouge skills somehow.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2023-07-10 at 11:56 AM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account

None are particularly unique. Its a common trope actually. With that said Blizzard whole foundation is talken from other material so who the hell knows lol

10+ Year Old Account
    All this hunting of who took what inspiration and from where will inevitably lead you to something like 10k years ago.

It's all borrowed and reborrowed hundreds of generations.

7+ Year Old Account
    Blame goddamn Tolkien for popularizing all the biggest fantasy tropes.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Blame goddamn Tolkien for popularizing all the biggest fantasy tropes.
    Fantasy itself can go back and far as Celtic, Greek and Roman mythology, just all of which have been adapted through the power of storytelling

King Arthur to me is the first great fantasy works...

some may even wanna go back further than that.
    Last edited by Orby; 2023-07-10 at 12:07 PM.