Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    No, I kept all my scientific honesty when I correctly stated that science only require one proof per fact (you might need multiple experiments, or just one sufficiently well-designed, but one proof is enough).

If you consider a vacuum tube between LA and SF will stand on pylons and just glide along 150 meters back and forth every day without problems sane - as is the idea of the hyperloop, then I'm glad that you don't consider me sane.
    So still no one else backing your youtuber? Got it. You let me know any scientific point that is established with only one person claiming it to be true. We'll all wait (and laugh our fucking asses off at how fucking stupid you've been in dying on this ridiculous hill).

Remember - on one side we have a guy in a youtube video (with a healthy CV no doubt) saying hyperloop tech won't work. On the other side we have several companies and countries ramping up plans, programs, and construction to start building them. I guess this guy just knows more than all those other people, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    So still no one else backing your youtuber?
    You are completely missing the point. The point is that it doesn't need anything else - you look at the facts.

You let me know any scientific point that is established with only one person claiming it to be true. We'll all wait (and laugh our fucking asses off at how fucking stupid you've been in dying on this ridiculous hill).
    That wasn't the claim - as you might have noticed there are lots of people saying that it is right, without making their own presentations.

More importantly it's not about how many "claim it" - but how many prove it. When Andrew Wiles proved Fermat's last theorem people looked at that proof in detail (and found minor errors that were corrected) - but they didn't try to make their own proofs, as that isn't how science is done.

There are also many other similar cases - ideally people trust scientific proofs because they can verify them, not because lots of people repeat those claims.

On the other side we have several companies and countries ramping up plans, programs, and construction to start building them.
    Except that isn't true, and we have stated as much - you just tend to forget everything all over. Basically we were promised a hyperloop, and got a car tunnel.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You are completely missing the point. The point is that it doesn't need anything else - you look at the facts.
    The facts tell us that lots of really intelligent people are behind this project as a whole and are developing it on multiple continents. Your "facts" are one guy on youtube citing math that so far no one else agrees with.

Remember - you can't find one other person to back this guys point.

That wasn't the claim - as you might have noticed there are lots of people saying that it is right, without making their own presentations.

More importantly it's not about how many "claim it" - but how many prove it. When Andrew Wiles proved Fermat's last theorem people looked at that proof in detail (and found minor errors that were corrected) - but they didn't try to make their own proofs, as that isn't how science is done.
    You mean it was reviewed by others and then established as a proof? The irony in your statement(s) is beyond delicious.

There are also many other similar cases - ideally people trust scientific proofs because they can verify them, not because lots of people repeat those claims.
    See, what you've done is move onto this idea of a "proof" and ignored everything else. It's adorable. But what this youtuber did wasn't a proof by any stretch of the imagination. Not even close.

Now you're going to shift this entire discussion onto whether what he did was in fact a proof. When all along all we argued was that he hasn't proven anything.

Except that isn't true, and we have stated as much - you just tend to forget everything all over. Basically we were promised a hyperloop, and got a car tunnel.
    It is entirely true, and while you have corrected minor points I made to synch with the articles, it's still established that multiple countries and companies are moving forward with various stages of this project concept.

(we established this before when I agreed that "construction" was too firm a term to use - remember?)

The facts tell us that lots of really intelligent people are behind this project as a whole and are developing it on multiple continents.
    The hyperloop seems to be developing from a bad idea to a classic con. Branson and even the crown prince of S.A. are backing it - why don't you?
    "Lots of smart people have invested in Madoff's funds, why don't you"?

Your "facts" are one guy on youtube citing math that so far no one else agrees with.
    Except people agree with him, as is seen in this thread, and facts are facts.

True, we are unable to find one other person to back up Musk's claim.

You mean it was reviewed by others and then established as a proof?
    As in this case. People don't post those reviews, they just go - "ok, makes sense".

However, a more recent trend are fully automatic proofs, as has been done for Kepler conjecture. No need for reviews - the proof is all that is needed.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The hyperloop seems to be developing from a bad idea to a classic con. Branson and even the crown prince of S.A. are backing it - why don't you?
    "Lots of smart people have invested in Madoff's funds, why don't you"?
    Really? Classic con? That's just pathetic.

Except people agree with him, as is seen in this thread, and facts are facts.
    Who? Random anonymous people? Great sources. I have governments and corporations backing my claim. You have a guy in a youtube video who you still can't find a single source to back. It's adorable that after so many pages of conversation you still haven't been able to link a single person who agrees with "BUSTED!" youtuber. And to make matters worse, your arguments are getting more and more juvenile.

True, we are unable to find one other person to back up Musk's claim.
    Really? So you're down to gradeschool arguments now? Pathetic.

As in this case. People don't post those reviews, they just go - "ok, makes sense".

However, a more recent trend are fully automatic proofs, as has been done for Kepler conjecture. No need for reviews - the proof is all that is needed.
    Which isn't the case at all with this situation - as I have more people on my side, scientists/governments/investors saying the concept will work. Plus, what your youtuber posted wasn't even remotely close to what is considered a proof. But please, continue on with never, ever, being able to find even one person to agree with your youtuber.

https://interestingengineering.com/b...y-of-hyperloop

https://www.gqindia.com/content/scie...rous-difficult

There you go. Now stop playing this stupid game.

Really? Classic con? That's just pathetic.
    Yes, a pathetic con.

Who? Random anonymous people? Great sources. I have governments and corporations backing my claim.
    Except that the random anonymous people are neither random nor anonymous, and I haven't seen the governments and corporations actually backing up your claims.

You know actually backing up claims by explaining e.g. how the thermal issues will be handled: that is expansion of the vacuum tube, dissipation of thermal energy from the pods, etc?

And to add to previous poster. Just searching for "hyperloop issues" brings up a few additional ones:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFMIqiDWAc
    https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/new...ng-challenges/
    https://www.electronicspoint.com/opi...pen-heres-why/

The last indirectly linked to something interesting:
    http://www.hyperloop.global/join - under Engineering (not contributors):

Senior Bridge Engineer
    HyperloopTT is seeking a Skilled Sr. Bridge Engineer - Contributor.
    As a contributor you will work around 5-10/hrs a week in exchange for stock options.
    Required:
    * Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with a Structural Engineering focus.
    * 10+ years of experience in progressive bridge design and rating.
    Do you see the problem?
    Last edited by Forogil; 2019-06-25 at 08:52 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Thank you - good information. Confirms that there are several issues to overcome before the test runs can become reality. Just shocking that the idiot couldn't find anything to link. Even more interesting is that at least the first article you linked actually disagrees with Mason - quoting his own information saying while thermal fluctuations will be challenging, thermal expansion joints will solve the problem (generally speaking).

I know you think it was stupid, but intellectual honesty is important, and this was a good lesson for him. My request was exceedingly reasonable - the fact he couldn't deliver on it is his own issue.

Edit: am I right in reading that because the thermal fluctuations handed out from day and night cycles will cause more problems that the underground solution, while obviously more expensive, would solve that issue?

Infracted.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-06-26 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Minor flaming