Do you ever use Prayer of Mending and Renew as Holy?

I really don't get these two spells: PoM heal is next to non existent, maybe it heals for 1% of your health + it's not even instant cast lol. Thinking of removing it from my action bar ... Why would i spend 1.5 cast just to heal a few people for 1% of their health, if i have way stronger 1.5 sec heals? Renew is slightly better but still very weak compared to Resto Druid's HoTs. It has some usage in PvP and if you have to move a lot and that's it. I really don't understand why would you ever want to cast PoM ...
    Last edited by Animron; 2019-04-25 at 11:13 AM.

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    PoM usually accounts for anywhere between 8-10% of total healing and should be cast on cooldown every time. Not just because it's very efficient and cheap healing and usually doesn't overheal much, but also because many priests will run at least one Azerite Trait where casting PoM reduces the cooldown of Holy Word: Sanctify.

You should avoid hardcasting Renew unless you're running, have no other spells available and have mana to burn.

I encourage you to look up some logs at https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ for Holy Priests. You'll notice any good priest will have it in their top healing spells and cast on cooldown as best they can.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Yea I agree with Venara. When I heal on my Holy Priest, I PoM on cooldown but rarely Renew. PoM ends up healing a lot over time and is very efficient.

^ not to mention, PoM can bounce around, so its not just one target getting that heal

Also, I was in the same mindset as you in legion, and my healing went up dramatically when I started using PoM on cd. It doesn't seem like that much, but over time its huge.
    Last edited by Audrenalyn; 2019-04-25 at 01:19 PM. Reason: adding

If PoM still works at least a little bit like it used to, than it should still be a smart heal. You can pre-cast it and it bounces around while you cast other spells.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    All of the above and, I forgot to mention, PoM will naturally also trigger Echo of Light on all 5 targets it heals. Since Mastery is our best stat for raid healing and Echo tends to be our highest healing "spell" (passive spell anyway), the effective healing of one PoM is much higher than just what the tooltip says.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

10+ Year Old Account
    I sometimes toss out a Renew on targets that are running away to dodge something thats incoming and might end up out of range for a brief period of time.
    Prayer of mending is always on cooldown if you're Doin It Rite.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Renew is crap, and should only be used when you are moving. But PoM is another thing. I still can't get used to it that it has a cast time. (it didn't in BC when it was introduced)

You should definitively cast it on cooldown, and even before the raid is starting (since it can stack up to 10 on one target). And even later it makes so much extra heal that it's definitively worth it; even if it only heals 1 target (and it rarely does)

10+ Year Old Account
    I played holy priest in legion and was always using PoM on cd, one of my favourite healing spells in fact. Didn't use renew much. (dont remember if a talent or leggo that auto applied renew)

PoM used to be great in Legion with the artifact trait that used to make it bounce around when you cast Hym. Obviously, that has been removed now but I still use it on CD

I use Renew quite a bit in M+ if mana is not an issue, I just throw it on that player who I know will take some avoidable damage, sometimes a turbo good tank who for whatever reason doesn't take a lot of damage, I like to Smite a lot as Holy so...

While there is certainly some spells that are extremely situational for classes, this my friends is how you tell a good healer from a lackluster healer.

PoM is great but not as strong as it was in Legion. This is because Benediction was nerfed relative to the other talents in that tier, and we lost some stuff on the artifact, such as PoM having a chance to not consume a stack. The Azerite stuff we got in return was much weaker, and the nerf to Benediction offsets the buff to Renew. I still cast PoM on cooldown in raids with frequent raid damage, and as filler otherwise. It's extremely efficient on fights where constant raid damage will keep it bouncing.

Renew is a very low priority cast, as it was in Legion. The spell is more effective and efficient than in Legion, but still has no synergy with other talents/spells/traits. This is what makes it so much worse than rDruid hots. I will typically only cast Renew when I'm moving and don't have anything else instant to cast. I will sometimes keep it on the tanks - it will rarely overheal there - but that's about it. There are some fights where 100% of my renew healing comes from the renew left by HW:Salvation. Blizzard still hasn't figured out how to give us a reason to hardcast Renew.
    Last edited by Felshatner; 2019-05-06 at 07:06 PM. Reason: more info

PoM has been in the "cast on CD" category every single expansion since it was added to the game in TBC.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

I am still not convinced ... I would rather cast Prayer of Healing if i need to aoe heal: way stronger heal with just a slightly longer casting time. So why would i spend 1.5 sec cd for an PoM, which heals for les then 2% of an average health btw, if i can spend a global for a way more effective heals such as Flash Heal? Isn't it more efficient to use Flesh Heal on one target which heals for roughly 10% of my health, rather then PoM which heals 5 people for less then one Flash Heal?
    Lets say 4 or 5 people in my group has been taking dmg for 10% of their health. Why would i use PoM and heal them all for cosmetic amount if i can Flash Heal only one of them for reasonable amount, PoH all of them, Binding Heal or even Renew all of them?

you clearly don't do any content where mana efficiency is important, and that's fine. but PoM's use is extremely mana efficient healing with a benefit of being able to be set up before damage even hits. in progression raiding, that's useful.

that said, you're completely right when it comes to using PoH or FH over PoM in times of need. PoM is a MANA EFFICIENCY tool. if being mana efficient isn't important and rather HPS is, PoH and FH are the preferred tools. hell, if you have that excess mana to spare, you're completely welcome to stop casting PoM and just PoH/FH your heart out. (for example, if you look at top holy priest parses of jaina, you'll see they pretty much all stop casting PoM in p3 when mana efficiency is no longer an issue.)

but there's still next to 0 situations where you should purposely be casting renew over something else (even smite) if you don't have to move.