Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I find the lack of entries of one of the best genres (which obviously is imouto) disturbing. Oreimo and Eromanga Sensei are a must watch if you really want to develop good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Floofi View Post
    Besides many that have already been listed, I would add Violet Evergarden, Gurren Lagann, Darling in the Franxx, and Konosuba.
    +1 vote for Violet Evergarden. Watched it recently out of boredom without having all that much in the expectation department and it turned out to be one of the most wholesome anime I've ever seen. Konosuba is also amazing. When it comes to watching Darling in the Franxx I'd suggest watching only 2/3rd of it (same with Death Note).

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    This is a post of culture.

Appreciate it.
    Likewise. Steins;Gate for life. Should rewatch it again.

Although I recently watched all of Code Geass and would now also throw that into my top anime.
    This on the other hand... Watching Code Geass only recently is heresy (then again JoJo is stuck on my to-watch list for years by now, which I assume is also heretical).

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    But that would mean watching dubs . . .
    True. And the only answer to the prospect of watching dubs is "What is the cure for such disorders? Beatings."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Castlevania stuff on Netflix was kinda cool, does that count? Otherwise, I don't really care for cartoons, maybe when I was a teen or something.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I've only seen DBZ, Bleach, Hajime no Ippo and One Punch Man

OP hit my main three, cept in a diff order.

One Piece, then Berserk, then UC Gundam in my books.

There's a lot of others too, but nothing as top as those series. FMA is solid, Cowboy Bebop is classic, and I liked what I watched of Attack on Titan as well. I'm a sucker for fantasy, and I wish they made more of Record of Lodoss War. Also, anything Ghibli.

Anything Miyazaki. In terms of series? Hellsing ultimate, full metal alchemist, gundam wing, sailor moon, and sword art online even though the light novels are better, spice and wolf as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    I am not a big anime guy, generally because the medium is, well, pretty fucking homogenous. My girlfriend is watching My Hero Academia and it's seriously literally 1:1 every other shonen action anime on the planet.
    There's tens of thousands of anime out there, with dozens being made every season, with every genre you could possibly think of, and you took two from the same genre to call every other anime "homogenous". There's a whole lot more anime than the few you see on Toonami.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by G3 Ghost View Post
    In addition to what's listed (you guys have some great taste), I'm gonna say Gantz.

I went in expecting to see some gore and cool fights, ending up seeing a really cool story that messes around with morality.
    For such type of games, Devil May Cry animation might also fulfill you needs~

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Likewise. Steins;Gate for life. Should rewatch it again.

This on the other hand... Watching Code Geass only recently is heresy (then again JoJo is stuck on my to-watch list for years by now, which I assume is also heretical).
    I am sorry to be a disappointment lol

I used to only read manga when I was in high school, didn't have a computer or know of any sources to watch anime on so I only got into it like, ~3 years ago when I decided "I see people talk enough about Jojo, I wanna watch it".

And now I'm a degenerate.

Also support the "Watch only 2/3s of Darling". What a shame it went like that.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    no, the problem is that the original guy is back in control of it, and he takes nothing seriously anymore.

people just pull random power out of their ass as it's needed, transformations are meaningless, and there's god shit.

it was better off when it was out of his hands.
    All right, that's really the case~

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Anything Miyazaki. In terms of series? Hellsing ultimate, full metal alchemist, gundam wing, sailor moon, and sword art online even though the light novels are better, spice and wolf as well.
    Gundam Wing, Gundam W with main chara of wordless teenage? Wing Zero Gundam?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    The Castlevania stuff on Netflix was kinda cool, does that count? Otherwise, I don't really care for cartoons, maybe when I was a teen or something.
    Castlevania is brilliant both in Game and animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthyjake View Post
    Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    Mob Psycho 100
    Steins Gate
    Death Note
    Re:zero

They're probably my favourites, I am currently looking for one to binge so if anyone has one they think I'd like based on this list let me know
    Erased if you haven't.

If you like Steins;Gate chances are you'd enjoy Erased

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    OP hit my main three, cept in a diff order.

One Piece, then Berserk, then UC Gundam in my books.

There's a lot of others too, but nothing as top as those series. FMA is solid, Cowboy Bebop is classic, and I liked what I watched of Attack on Titan as well. I'm a sucker for fantasy, and I wish they made more of Record of Lodoss War. Also, anything Ghibli.
    Got 3 in common, haha~

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Obligatory Boku no Pico mention.

On a serious note, my sig links to my MAL. Sort by score and away you go.
    Wow~Boku no Pico is the origin of meme yoooooooooooooo. hahaha~

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    There's tens of thousands of anime out there, with dozens being made every season, with every genre you could possibly think of, and you took two from the same genre to call every other anime "homogenous". There's a whole lot more anime than the few you see on Toonami.
    I am aware there are a slim few anime that break out of formula that are being made even today, but anime genres are pathetically homogenized and you're trying to ignore something that is a blatantly objective fact about the industry. I do love the defensiveness, though. "Two from the same genre"? Man, I could make you a list longer than the day is fucking long of all the anime that are homogenous to each other, don't even fucking dare me to.

You wanna talk about how bad the manga/anime industry is? How notoriously difficult it is to get anything published as a manga if it doesn't fit into accepted popular norms (hence, what leads to homogeneous media) and how it's very hard to get an anime made if it doesn't already have a successful manga? The anime/manga industry is worse than Hollywood, just stand the fuck down dude.

You wanna talk about how bad the manga/anime industry is? How notoriously difficult it is to get anything published as a manga if it doesn't fit into accepted popular norms (hence, what leads to homogeneous media) and how it's very hard to get an anime made if it doesn't already have a successful manga? The anime/manga industry is worse than Hollywood, just stand the fuck down dude.
    And yet you still get things like Sarazanmai happening.

1.) I already admitted things that break homogeny happen, albeit they are the outliers.

2.) I don't know much about this but just looking at it, I'm wagering to bet it's extremely samey to every other generic anime. At least, that's what these two single screen shots of it make it appear to be.

1.) I already admitted things that break homogeny happen, albeit they are the outliers.

2.) I don't know much about this but just looking at it, I'm wagering to bet it's extremely samey to every other generic anime. At least, that's what these two single screen shots of it make it appear to be.
    Not quite sure how you're judging something based on two frames but okay.

Not quite sure how you're judging something based on two frames but okay.
    This just in: People form initial judgements, makes fanboys angry and defensive. More news at 11.

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-06-11 at 04:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Place Further than the Universe, Zombieland Saga, Darling in the Franxx, among popular other recent shows that are original. Fairy Gone and Carole & Tuesday both original airing this season. Endro last season. Popular shows like A Lull in the Sea, Panty and Stocking, Shirobako, Code Geass, Death Parade, FLCL, Kill la Kill, Space Dandy, Wolf Children, Your Name, Angel Beats, and many others.. Some personal faves aside from Universe are AnoHana, Hanasaku Iroha, Little Witch Academia, Tsuki ga Kirei, and Strike Witches. Not to mention shows based off games with multiple seasons. Bang Dream has a movie and season 3 coming, Granblue Fantasy has a season 2 coming. Steins;Gate is one of the most popular shows out there, and is based on a visual novel.

A Place Further than the Universe, Zombieland Saga, Darling in the Franxx, among popular other recent shows that are original. Fairy Gone and Carole & Tuesday both original airing this season. Endro last season. Popular shows like A Lull in the Sea, Panty and Stocking, Shirobako, Code Geass, Death Parade, FLCL, Kill la Kill, Space Dandy, Wolf Children, Your Name, Angel Beats, and many others.. Some personal faves aside from Universe are AnoHana, Hanasaku Iroha, Little Witch Academia, Tsuki ga Kirei, and Strike Witches. Not to mention shows based off games with multiple seasons. Bang Dream has a movie and season 3 coming, Granblue Fantasy has a season 2 coming. Steins;Gate is one of the most popular shows out there, and is based on a visual novel.
    I can't say I've seen all of those so I won't comment on all specifics but I will point out that the fact you include things like Panty and Stocking, FLCL, Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia (all of which I've seen to some degree) more or less instantly invalidates your entire post as far as I'm concerned, since every one of those anime are as homogenous as they come. Panty and Stocking and FLCL especially work as great examples of "parody" anime that fail to be parodies because they're just your typical extra-high octane silly animes no matter how hard they try to parody the medium.

Keep going though. Really, go for it lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say I've seen all of those so I won't comment on all specifics but I will point out that the fact you include things like Panty and Stocking, FLCL, Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia (all of which I've seen to some degree) more or less instantly invalidates your entire post as far as I'm concerned, since every one of those anime are as homogenous as they come. Panty and Stocking and FLCL especially work as great examples of "parody" anime that fail to be parodies because they're just your typical extra-high octane silly animes no matter how hard they try to parody the medium.

Keep going though. Really, go for it lol.
    Do you want every single anime to be a completely different genre? Because if you think shows like Panty and Stocking is "homogenized" then you obviously haven't watched it.

But the fact that you say "I haven't seen most of these, but they're not unique in any way" shows that you aren't even trying to understand.

Do you want every single anime to be a completely different genre? Because if you think shows like Panty and Stocking is "homogenized" then you obviously haven't watched it.
    Classic "reee if you say something i dont like CLEARLY YOU LIE BAD FAITH ACTOR" Amazing argument 10/10.

Yes, I've watched Panty and Stocking. It was amusing, and I don't dislike it. But the humor and style (aside from the art, as it is strikingly different from typical anime albeit still following many same tropes). Same with FLCL. They're both billed as "parodies of anime", but they don't parody anything. They're your standard 'super silly' animes, of which there are many many many unironic "non-parody" ones.

But the fact that you say "I haven't seen most of these, but they're not unique in any way" shows that you aren't even trying to understand.
    You're so fucking exhausting lol.

I didn't say anything like that, but this is just you being bent the hell out of shape that someone is criticizing one of anime's most easily criticizable things. I said that because you included several anime that I know are homogenous in a list of "anime that aren't homogeneous" that I cast serious doubts on the ones I haven't seen. You've proven that I can't trust you to name anime that aren't homogenous; how the fuck is it my responsibility to give you further benefit of the doubt? It isn't.

You keep clinging onto the word "genre", but I am not speaking about genres of anime (aside from specific homogeneous tropes shared within specific genres, I suppose, but those aren't my talking points. I am speaking of general homogeneous tropes shared between all types of anime). You don't even seem to fundamentally understand my argument, or at the very worst you're actively trying to twist words around. I don't know or care which, but this conversation is done. Go ahead and get le epic last word in, we don't want your fanboy ego harmed!