Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Dune Prequel Show Director Celebrates Filming Start With Author Quote

https://screenrant.com/dune-prequel-...thor-response/
    BY ADAM BENTZ - 35 MINUTES AGO

Dune: The Sisterhood has started filming, announces director Johan Renck. Based on Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's novel Sisterhood of Dune, the HBO Max prequel series is set 10,000 years before the events of Frank Herbert's original novel and will focus on the origins of the Bene Gesserit, the titular sisterhood who possess mysterious supernatural abilities. Like Denis Villeneuve's two-part film adaptation of Dune, the HBO Max prequel series has assembled quite an eye-catching cast in recent months. Now, it appears the show has taken another major step forward.

Johan Renck has taken to Instagram to announce that Dune: The Sisterhood has started filming. The Emmy-winning director announced the news with an image of the original Dune novel accompanied by one of its most famous quotes, “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.”

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Dune: The Sisterhood’ Creator Diane Ademu-John Steps Down As Co-Showrunner Of HBO Max Series

https://deadline.com/2022/11/dune-th...es-1235181229/
    By Nellie Andreeva - November 23, 2022 3:56pm

EXCLUSIVE: As HBO Max’s Dune: The Sisterhood (wt) moves into production, series creator and writer Diane Ademu-John is stepping down as co-showrunner. She will remain creatively involved in the prequel as executive producer but will focus on other commitments. Veteran TV writer-producer Alison Schapker, who has served as co-showrunner with Ademu-John, will now be the sole showrunner for the series.

Schapker and Ademu-John executive produce with Johan Renck, who is directing the premiere episode. Filming on the series started yesterday in Budapest, Renck announced on Instagram. (You can read his post below.)

Starring Emily Watson, Shirley Henderson and Travis Fimmel, Dune: The Sisterhood (wt), based on Frank Herbert’s classic novel, is set 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides. It follows the Harkonnen Sisters, played by Watson and Henderson, as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.

In addition to Watson, Henderson and Fimmel, the cast also includes Indira Varma, Sarah-Sofie Boussnina, Shalom Brune-Franklin, Faoileann Cunningham, Aoife Hinds and Chloe Lea.

Denis Villeneuve, who directed, co-wrote and produced the 2021 Dune film, is executive producing with Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Matthew King, John Cameron and Cait Collins, along with author Brian Herbert. Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serve as executive producers for the Frank Herbert estate. Author Kevin J. Anderson serves as co-producer.

The series is co-produced by HBO Max and Legendary Television, the TV arm of Legendary, which is behind the current film franchise.

Schapker has an extensive genre drama TV resume. She recently was executive producer on Westworld. Before that, she served as executive producer and co-showrunner/showrunner on Netflix’s Altered Carbon and also worked on Fringe, Lost and Almost Human.

Not really sure I'm into a prequal fanfic, as much as I think we need more dune.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Not really sure I'm into a prequal fanfic, as much as I think we need more dune.
    Seeing how Lady Jessica was portrayed in the recent movie, I'm absolutely positive the series will be equally good.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Only reason I'm at all interested in this prequel series - is that its about the Sisterhood. Even as much as I'm not holding out much hope for quality =D.

And I read all the Brian Henderson prequel Dune-Seriesssesss. Those would make for good scifi shows and all, but the Sisterhood itself is far more interesting to me and something I always wish we had more lore on. (Though again, I'm not expecting this show to do it justice, just hoping beyond hope...)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    Seeing how Lady Jessica was portrayed in the recent movie, I'm absolutely positive the series will be equally good.
    Is this some clever sarcasm?

Whatever that was in the movie, Lady Jessica it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    but the Sisterhood itself is far more interesting to me
    To you, me, and Herbert himself. The Bene Gesserit are the actual protagonists of the Dune series. Forget their Pauls and Duncans, it's really all about the Sisterhood.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    To you, me, and Herbert himself. The Bene Gesserit are the actual protagonists of the Dune series. Forget their Pauls and Duncans, it's really all about the Sisterhood.
    LOL! Then dangit, why'd we get 8 Dune books and only the last one was "Sisterhood" =D. I wanted 8 Bene Gesserit related books! *rages to the universe*
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    LOL! Then dangit, why'd we get 8 Dune books and only the last one was "Sisterhood" =D. I wanted 8 Bene Gesserit related books! *rages to the universe*
    I'm not being facetious. Dune is, at its core, very much about the Sisterhood. From Book 1, though it becomes more and more pronounced as we go on, and of course the last two "real" Dune books (i.e. the ones by Herbert (senior) himself) are basically entirely about the BG even on the surface.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not being facetious. Dune is, at its core, very much about the Sisterhood. From Book 1, though it becomes more and more pronounced as we go on, and of course the last two "real" Dune books (i.e. the ones by Herbert (senior) himself) are basically entirely about the BG even on the surface.
    Oh I get all that - I just wanted MOAR! (And yeah, I loved the last few Dune books, because they were more solidly BG stuff).

I enjoyed the Henderson prequel trilogies (I think there were two seperate trilogies, I remember reading two triologies by him anyway lol). I don't think I ever got around to starting/finishing the Henderson sequels though. (Didn't he write one? I'm old, and its been 20 years, I may be misremembering!)

I'm just crossing my fingers and toes this series actually builds/plays with the actual Lore as given and not 'made up ninja women adventures'. I don't mind, at all, leeway in the "day to day adventures" of characters, I'm just hoping it sticks to the actual Lore otherwise. I know they can do a lot of 'make up filler' due to the fact that Herbert never went into the true historical specifics in most of this, I'm just hoping whatever they make up feels more adaptive/lore-fitting and less "Whatever the hell we want to do because we don't know!"
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-11-30 at 06:43 PM.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Dune’ Prequel Series at HBO Max Adds Mark Strong, Jade Anouka, Chris Mason.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dun...235447074/amp/
    By Joe Otterson - December 1, 2022 11:30am PT

The “Dune” prequel series at HBO Max has added Mark Strong, Jade Anouka, and Chris Mason to its cast.

Currently titled “Dune: The Sisterhood,” the series is set 10,000 years before the events of “Dune” and is based on the novel “Sisterhood of Dune” by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Per the official logline, the show “follows the Harkonnen Sisters (Emily Watson, Shirley Henderson) as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.” It is currently in production.

Strong will star as Emperor Javicco Corrino, described as “a man from a great line of war-time Emperors, who is called upon to govern the Imperium and manage a fragile peace.”

Strong is known for his roles in films like the “Kingsman” franchise as well as for “1917,” “Zero Dark Thirty,” and most recently “Tár.” He is repped by WME and Markham, Froggatt and Irwin.

Anouka will play Sister Theodosia, said to be “a talented and ambitious acolyte at the Sisterhood who harbors a dangerous secret about her past.”

Anouka most recently appeared in the series adaptation of “His Dark Materials” and previously starred in Steve McQueen’s “Small Axe” and “Trauma.” She is repped by United Agents, Gersh, and Goodman Genow.

Mason will appear as Keiran Atreides, described as “a Swordmaster to a Great House whose ambition to live up to his family name is disrupted when he forms an unexpected connection to a member of the royal family.”

Mason is known for his work in the hit series “Broadchurch” and recently had roles in shows like “Riverdale,” “Dirty John,” and “Law & Order: Organized Crime.” He is repped by UTA, Toogood Management, 3 Arts Entertainment, and Sloane Offer.

Along with the new trio of cast members and Henderson and Watson, the cast of the series includes Travis Fimmel, Indira Varma, Sarah-Sofie Boussnina, Shalom Brune-Franklin, Faoileann Cunningham, Aoife Hinds, and Chloe Lea.

Diane Ademu-John created “Dune: The Sisterhood” and also serves as an executive producer. She was set to serve as co-showrunner until it was announced that she was stepping down. Alison Schapker is now the sole showrunner on the series and also an executive producer. Johan Renck will direct the premiere episode and executive produce. Denis Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Matthew King, John Cameron and Cait Collins executive produce with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Anderson serves as co-producer. The series is co-produced by HBO Max and Legendary TV.

Legendary’s film reboot of “Dune” debuted in theaters and on HBO Max in October 2021. It grossed just over $400 million worldwide. The sequel is currently in production and is expected to be released in November 2023. Villeneuve is the director of both films, with Spaihts and Villeneuve writing the screenplays of both films as well.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Dune: The Sisterhood’: Director Johan Renck & Star Shirley Henderson Exit HBO Max Series Amid Creative Overhaul & Production Hiatus.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/dune-th...es-1235273486/
    By Rosy Cordero, Nellie Andreeva - February 28, 2023 4:10pm

EXCLUSIVE: HBO Max‘s Dune prequel TV series’ long journey to the screen is taking another turn. Dune: The Sisterhood (wt), which started production in late November, is undergoing a creative shift, a director change and a recasting.

Chernobyl executive producer Johan Renck, who had signed on to direct the first two episodes, has exited the project. Search is underway for his replacement as production has been put on hold. Shirley Henderson, who had been tapped as one of the leads, also is leaving. Her role as Tula Harkonnen will be recast. That is in addition to creator Diane Ademu-John, who had written the pilot script, stepping down as co-showrunner in the run-up to production, with veteran TV writer-producer Alison Schapker becoming sole showrunner of the Legendary-produced series.

“As Dune: The Sisterhood (wt) has entered a pre-scheduled hiatus, there are some creative changes being made to the production in an effort to create the best series possible and stay true to the source material,” an HBO Max spokesperson said in a statement to Deadline. “Johan Renck has completed his work on the series and a new director will be brought on; through mutual agreement, Johan is moving on to pursue other projects. Additionally, Shirley Henderson will be exiting the series and will no longer be playing Tula Harkonnen.”

The streamer had no further comment. According to sources, the 11th hour showrunner change put pressure on Schapker and her team to make major rewrites on the fly as the series was beginning production in Budapest. Meanwhile, we hear Renck’s auteur approach did not jibe with the streamer’s vision for the series and was a departure from the look of Denis Villeneuve’s films, which led to his departure. (He has since deleted any Dune content from his Instagram account, including his Nov. 22 post announcing start of production.) It is unclear whether any of the footage he filmed will be used in the series; that would be largely up to the new director when they come on board.

We hear conflicting views on the current hiatus. While sources close to the production insist there had always been a plan to stop filming for the winter months, others indicate that production has been pushed by seven months to give Schapker and her team time to put their creative stamp by reworking the scripts as well as to find a new director.

It is unclear whether Henderson’s departure is related to the creative changes, Renck’s exit or the new start of production but we hear the delay is wreaking havoc on actors’ schedules, creating potential conflicts that may lead to more exits and recastings.

Dune: The Sisterhood, based on Frank Herbert’s classic novel, is set 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides. It follows the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.

The lead cast also includes Emily Watson as Valya Harkonnen; Indira Varma as Empress Natalya; Sarah-Sofie Boussnina as Princess Ynez; Shalom Brune Franklin as Mikaela; Faoileann Cunningham as Sister Jen; Aoife Hinds as Sister Emeline; Chloe Lea as Lila; Travis Fimmel as Desmond Hart; Mark Strong as Emperor Javicco Corrino; Jade Anouka as Sister Theodosia; Chris Mason as Keiran Atreides.

Dune: The Sisterhood’s journey started in June 2019 when HBO Max gave it a straight-to-series order, with Villeneuve—director the 2021 Dune film and its upcoming sequel—set to helm the first episode and executive produce. Jon Spaihts was originally slated to co-write and co-showrun the drama alongside Dana Calvo.

Several months later, Spaights and Villeneuve pulled out as writer and director, respectively, to focus on the film franchise. (They remained executive producers.) Renck signed on to take over directing duties for the first two episodes in April 2022.

In the summer of 2021, Ademu-John joined the team as an executive producer, as well as writer and co-showrunner, replacing Spaight and Calvo. She was later joined by Schapker who was co-showrunner before being named sole showrunner in November.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, read that this morning.

And now have even less hope this will be something worth watching. Not because of those particular named individuals they replaced, but because they're replacing a director.

I mean if it hits live I'm sure I'll give it a chance. Just not really feeling 'hopeful' for this show anymore. bummer.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Dune: The Sisterhood’: Olivia Williams & Jodhi May Join Max Series In Recastings As Anna Foerster Boards As New Director.

https://deadline.com/2023/06/dune-th...or-1235428218/
    By Rosy Cordero June 30, 2023 12:00pm

EXCLUSIVE: Olivia Williams (The Crown) and Jodhi May (The Witcher) have joined the cast of the Max Original series Dune: The Sisterhood (w/t).

Williams is taking over the role of Tula Harkonnen following Shirley Henderson’s exit in February. May is being recast in the role of Natalya as Indira Varma steps down due to a scheduling conflict, Deadline hears.

Additionally, Anna Foerster (Lou) will direct multiple episodes including the premiere. Foerster is taking over duties following Johan Renck’s exit which Deadline announced exclusively earlier this year.

Set within the mystical world of Dune, created by acclaimed author Frank Herbert, and 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides, Dune: The Sisterhood (w/t) follows the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit. The series is adapted from the novel Sisterhood of Dune, written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

Diane Ademu-John serves as creator, writer, and executive producer. Alison Schapker serves as showrunner and executive producer. Additional EPs include Denis Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Matthew King, John Cameron, Mark Tobey and Jordan Goldberg as well as Brian Herbert and with Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert on behalf of the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J. Anderson is co-producer.

The series is co-produced by Max and Legendary Television with Legendary also producing the film franchise that released its first installment to critical acclaim in October 2021.

Williams is repped by Independent Talent Group, CAA and Schreck Rose Dapello, et al. May is repped by Accelerate and APA. Foerster is repped by WME and Paul Hastings, LLP.

5+ Year Old Account
    Dune prequel The Sisterhood gets a new name

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...name-prophecy/
    By Dan Seddon - 04 NOVEMBER 2023

Dune: The Sisterhood is no more, as the prequel series will now be titled Dune: Prophecy.

Streaming on Max from an unspecified autumn 2024 date, the show's big change was confirmed by IGN, with production reportedly ongoing in Hungary despite the ongoing SAG-AFTRA union strike (due to the cast being largely made up of British actors, who are not members of the union).

The name change follows the recasting of Shirley Henderson as Tula Harkonnen, with The Crown's Olivia Williams stepping into the role.

HATE the name.

It tells me exactly what I've feared since hearing of this project: that they don't understand shit about the Bene Gesserit, and they just want to make a show about space witches with lots of woo and mystic stuff. Which could not be further from what the BG are and are trying to do.

The Kwisatz Haderach isn't a prophecy. It's a goal. They are the ones trying to actively make it happen. You don't prophecy "tomorrow at this time, someone is going to serve me a steak" and then go to a restaurant the next day and order a steak - and then go SEE THE PROPHECY CAME TRUE, I CAN FORETELL THE FUTURE!

Prophecy was Paul's thing, and Leto II's - and it was complete and utter terror, so horrible the BG view it as pretty much the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.

You know who dabbles in prophecy? The Spacing Guild. Not the BG. They are two factions with wildly different philosophies and approaches. The BG could not be further from the idea of prophecy if they tried. They don't believe in foretelling the future, they believe in creating the future. Literally the opposite of prophecy.

Gods, these things make me so angry.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    HATE the name.

It tells me exactly what I've feared since hearing of this project: that they don't understand shit about the Bene Gesserit, and they just want to make a show about space witches with lots of woo and mystic stuff. Which could not be further from what the BG are and are trying to do.

The Kwisatz Haderach isn't a prophecy. It's a goal. They are the ones trying to actively make it happen. You don't prophecy "tomorrow at this time, someone is going to serve me a steak" and then go to a restaurant the next day and order a steak - and then go SEE THE PROPHECY CAME TRUE, I CAN FORETELL THE FUTURE!

Prophecy was Paul's thing, and Leto II's - and it was complete and utter terror, so horrible the BG view it as pretty much the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.

You know who dabbles in prophecy? The Spacing Guild. Not the BG. They are two factions with wildly different philosophies and approaches. The BG could not be further from the idea of prophecy if they tried. They don't believe in foretelling the future, they believe in creating the future. Literally the opposite of prophecy.

Gods, these things make me so angry.
    Ok man - BREATHE! =D

One - it COULD still be about them CREATING the prophecy itself, as you said, their goal - rest of universe's "prophecy".

Honestly, I'm really just expecting witch-ninjas and GOT royal-plotting. I"m not saying that will be good, but I'll be shocked if today's tv media can actually put out something that 'gets' the BG's close to correct in their portrayal.

Hence "witch-Ninjas", cuz you know, they were stealthy.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

5+ Year Old Account
    Dune: Prophecy Trailer To Release Soon?

https://www.m9.news/what-to-watch-on...-release-soon/
    By M9 Updated 20:15 March 16, 2024

Dune fever is nowhere to die down. The second part of Denis Villeneuve’s epic based on Frank Herbert’s novel has turned out to be the most popular and successful movie of the year. Given the pace it is going with, it will be even harder for anyone to dethrone it.

To take the hype to the next level and give the fans another peek into the Dune universe, Dune: Propechy is all set to premiere. The show is scheduled to release in the latter half of 2024.

The rumor mill is hot and it has been reported that the trailer for the prequel show is expected in the coming week.

It will follow the origin of the Bene Gesserit, the sisterhood responsible for a majority of politics and turmoil in the world.

It will serve as a prequel to ‘Dune’, set approximately 10,000 years before the events of the movie. It will star Emily Watson, Olivia Williams, Jodhi May, Sarah-Sofie Boussnina, Shalom Brune-Franklin, among many more.

It will premiere on the streaming service HBO Max.

5+ Year Old Account
    The New DUNE TV SHOW is Going to Be Wild - DUNE PROPHECY, Explained

ScreenCrush
    Apr 11, 2024

10+ Year Old Account
    For any adults that do not want to sit through a stupid clickbait youtube video or fake trailer. A quick written synopsos:

Project is now named "Dune: Prophecy"
    It is scheduled to premiere on HBO Max in late 2024.

'Dune: Prophecy': Everything We Know About
    Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_Prophecy
    Does Dune: Prophecy Have a Trailer Yet?
    No

What Is the Plot of Dune: Prophecy?
    The show will take inspiration from the book 'Sisterhood of Dune' written by Herbert's son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, which takes place in the wake of the Butlerian Jihad, which destroys all forms of computers and intelligent technology.
    Follows the events whereupon the Sisterhood of Rossak (a toxic planet with psychic super women) transition into the Bene Geserit.
    There's a schism between factions led by Atredies and Harkonnen ancestors. Also the fledging house Corrino.

Emily Watson will play Valya Harkonnen , also Bene Gesserit.
    Olivia Williams (The Sixth Sense) plays Tula Harkonnen, also Bene Gesserit.
    Jodhi May (The Witcher) as Empress Natalya
    Mark Strong as Emperor Javicco Corrino
    Travis Fimmel plays a charismatic warrior. There's lots of exotic drugs involved in the book. So Im sure Ragnar will get his mandatory Chinese Medecine arc.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Oh dear gods it's a Brian Herbert adaptation.

Yikers.

Well, I was never super hyped for this but all this sounds... questionable, to put it nicely. I never liked what Lesser Herbert did with the series, but who knows, maybe the writers here will clean shit up a bit. Or something.

Hoooo boi. This will be a ride and a half.

But it's coming out way sooner than expected, I didn't think we'd see it this year already. Guess they're pushing hard to cash in on the feature-film hype. Makes sense.