Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashina View Post
    This is ridiculous. Only people who don’t listen to Peterson think he’s a far right opinion maker. All of his views are on YouTube, educate yourselves snowflakes.
    We did, that's why we know him to be a complete fraud and hypocrite. The "free-speech warrior" is trying to get the government to punish people for speech he doesn't like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    The irony...

A thread where predictably JP is shit on once more and his idea framed as a hub for extremists

...proceeds to source his remark on an article where the very first lines don't suggest any bias at all.

Dingus Supreme is new to me, but keep at it though. Well i suppose the point of these people isn't journalistic integrity

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone constantly drawing this connection is intellectually dishonest.

Mind you, I'm not denying its existence, but condemning the intent with which it's made.
    Does JPs content appeal to extremists? It does. But it does to thousands or millions of other non extreme individuals.

Peterson's critics are like anti vaxxers, i could find 9 cases where accusations towards him have been counter argued. But if they find that one where he hasn't addressed, well get ready for a ride.in the merry go around.
    It literally shows bias with the downvote system.

he is literally suing, invoking the government, to punish people for speech he doesn't like. The guy is a walking billboard for hypocrisy.

He's shit on, because he's a fucking demagogue and a charlatan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    We did, that's why we know him to be a complete fraud and hypocrite. The "free-speech warrior" is trying to get the government to punish people for speech he doesn't like.

- - - Updated - - -

It literally shows bias with the downvote system.

he is literally suing, invoking the government, to punish people for speech he doesn't like. The guy is a walking billboard for hypocrisy.

He's shit on, because he's a fucking demagogue and a charlatan.
    One of the suits, I believe the second, is carried out due to a comparison to Hitler.

What you think isn't as relevant as Peterson finding the comparison and, by consequence, the Nazi insult a grievous offense enough to justify bringing the law into it.

To some people it's irrelevant what others call them. For others who have a public image and influence being framed that way can be damaging.

I could probably find a middle ground with you and say "who cares what other people call you? Just ignore them", but this is a public figure and as much as that can seen as taking the higher ground, silence can also be construed - particularly by your opponents - as conceding to the charges landing at your feet.

So while I'd personally recommend to JP to ignore such childish dishonesty, I understand why he choose to bring in the government to punish smth he finds that shouldn't be lightly thrown around. I don't see that as hypocritical.

He's been called and insulted in so many ways and so many times. But for his opponents, all it takes is that one time, and then, that's grounds for bringing his entire character down.

Like I said, anti vaxxers.

10+ Year Old Account
    To some people it's irrelevant what others call them. For others who have a public image and influence being framed that way can be damaging.
    Does this mean the people he calls social Marxist should sue him?

Peterson compares human social structure to that of lobsters...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

One of the suits, I believe the second, is carried out due to a comparison to Hitler.

What you think isn't as relevant as Peterson finding the comparison and, by consequence, the Nazi insult a grievous offense enough to justify bringing the law into it.

I could probably find a middle ground with you and say "who cares what other people call you? Just ignore them", but this is a public figure and as much as that can seen as taking the higher ground, silence can also be construed - particularly by your opponents - as conceding to the charges landing at your feet.

So while I'd personally recommend to JP to ignore such childish dishonesty, I understand why he choose to bring in the government to punish smth he finds that shouldn't be lightly thrown around. I don't see that as hypocritical.

He's been called and insulted in so many ways and so many times. But for his opponents, all it takes is that one time, and then, that's grounds for bringing his entire character down.

He sure does want the government to stifle speech... what hypocrisy.

Your second part of your comment only proves my point for me, thanks for that. This is a guy who was made famous by saying he didn't want the government running around, punishing people for speech, and telling him what to say. And what do we see when someone says something he doesn't like? he runs to the government, and demands they punish someone for speech he doesn't like.

Your third part of the comment... also makes my case for me, thanks. The exact same shit can be said about the Canadian law he was opposing so badly.

Yes, he's a blatant hypocrite, and a charlatan for it. For all that preaching about speech, he's been shown to be a liar.

Of course you don't see it as hypocritical, you are a fanboy... anti-vaxxers indeed. The irony of you trying to lay that on other people is just awesome.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrisy

If it fits, it ships.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Does this mean the people he calls social Marxist should sue him?

Peterson compares human social structure to that of lobsters...
    You'd have to ask him. Do you personally place that and Nazi on the same level?

Im too uninformed of the science to remark on it, but i believe the comparison is about hierarchy

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, he's a blatant hypocrite, and a charlatan for it. For all that preaching about speech, he's been shown to be a liar.
    He appeals to people who claim there is nothing wrong with fascism, because it doesn’t have to focus on racism. Without recognizing that treating others like a racist would treat a race they hate, doesn’t make it any better. It’s not recognizing that people don’t want to be treated like fascist treated minorities, regardless if it’s based on race or any other superficial generalization... like social Marxism.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd have to ask him. Do you personally place that and Nazi on the same level?
    No, I honestly believe he doesn’t understand it or care, because it gets him notoriety. I can see how people would believe he is a Nazi, but it’s just a profiteer.

Im too uninformed of the science to remark on it, but i believe the comparison is about hierarchy
    That doesn’t make it any better at all. That’s ani-vaxxers pointing at cats and saying they do just fine without vaccines.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

He appeals to people who claim there is nothing wrong with fascism, because it doesn’t have to focus on racism. Without recognizing that treating others like a racist would treat a race they hate, doesn’t make it any better. It’s not recognizing that people don’t want to be treated like fascist treated minorities, regardless if it’s based on race or any other superficial generalization... like social Marxism.
    I mean, I have to give Peterson credit, he found a target audience, and spent years feeding them bullshit to line his pockets. He's not much different than the megachurch pastors, or asshats like Al Sharpton. There's money to be made in being a demagogue and charlatan. He's about the equivalent of Ben Shapiro. Honestly, I don't think either of them believe half the shit they say, and they are smart enough to know they are being hypocrites... but the money is just too good to pass up.

10+ Year Old Account
    He sure does want the government to stifle speech... what hypocrisy.

Your second part of your comment only proves my point for me, thanks for that. This is a guy who was made famous by saying he didn't want the government running around, punishing people for speech, and telling him what to say. And what do we see when someone says something he doesn't like? he runs to the government, and demands they punish someone for speech he doesn't like.

Your third part of the comment... also makes my case for me, thanks. The exact same shit can be said about the Canadian law he was opposing so badly.

Of course you don't see it as hypocritical, you are a fanboy... anti-vaxxers indeed. The irony of you trying to lay that on other people is just awesome.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrisy

If it fits, it ships.
    This is the merry go around i go on several times with you.

It proves your point if your own biases are interpreting my words to suit them.

There's quite the difference in the.government mandating the kinda of language you must use. You being anti authoritarianism should be against that premise no?

Look at you trying to undermine my position with attempts at insults.
    JP made the case for why associations with Nazi shouldn't be made lightly, and why insulting someone in that fashion is quite serious.i heard it and found it having merit, specially when it done by an opposition who's sole intent is the blatant undermining of your opponent's character without providing anything of substance.

That is the case, and I find it reasonable. Go ahead and sue them, no hypocrisy in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, I have to give Peterson credit, he found a target audience, and spent years feeding them bullshit to line his pockets. He's not much different than the megachurch pastors, or asshats like Al Sharpton. There's money to be made in being a demagogue and charlatan. He's about the equivalent of Ben Shapiro. Honestly, I don't think either of them believe half the shit they say, and they are smart enough to know they are being hypocrites... but the money is just too good to pass up.
    He is different, because studying psychology, gives him the tools to either manipulate the public or expose psychological failings. He is choosing to manipulate. He is also smarter than Shapiro...

This is the merry go around i go on several times with you.

It proves your point if your own biases are interpreting my words to suit them.

There's quite the difference in the.government mandating the kinda of language you must use. You being anti authoritarianism should be against that premise no?

Look at you trying to undermine my position with attempts at insults.
    JP made the case for why associations with Nazi shouldn't be made lightly, and why insulting someone in that fashion is quite serious.i heard it and found it having merit, specially when it done by an opposition who's sole intent is the blatant undermining of your opponent's character without providing anything of substance.

That is the case, and I find it reasonable. Go ahead and sue them, no hypocrisy in my eyes.
    I literally laid out how it's blatant hypocrisy, there's not much more I can do for you.

I am against the government mandating what words I can use. I'm also against the government punishing you for saying something someone doesn't like... God damn, look at me being logically consistent. Don't you wish Peterson could do the same?

You see, I don't have anything invested in Peterson, other than my joy of calling out demagogues and hypocrites ( I do enjoy that very much). I don't have money invested in him, nor is my ideology tied to him in any fashion. I don't need him to "win" in order to validate my own beliefs, because I haven't bought into his bullshit.

SO much hypocrisy, and so much denial from the anti-vaxxers.

10+ Year Old Account

He coined the term social Marxism, to insult his opponents. I don’t understand why being called a fascist, is so different from calling people Marxist. Would he prefer to be called a social fascist? Does he not have an argument to defend him self?

He is different, because studying psychology, gives him the tools to either manipulate the public or expose psychological failings. He is choosing to manipulate. He is also smarter than Shapiro...
    Shapiro is an intelligent guy, so is Peterson. Learning how to manipulate people doesn't require a lot of study in psychology, because it can also be picked up by observation in everyday life. Hell, Trump is great at manipulating people, and he's a fucking moron.

Peterson could have chosen a better path, and called out demagogues and the like. He simply chose to join them, there's more money in it for him.

- - - Updated - - -

He coined the term social Marxism, to insult his opponents. I don’t understand why being called a fascist, is so different from calling people Marxist. Would he prefer to be called a social fascist? Does he not have an argument to defend him self?
    I think he calls it "cultural Marxism," same difference.

I mean, it's literally just using word association to evoke emotions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am against the government mandating what words I can use.
    You also have to consider the context of this thread. It’s not like Peterson doesn’t have a platform to defend him self with a solid argument. Going to the government, when you are a prominent voice giving speeches weekly, should make his inability to defend him self very clear... and he cannot blame lack of exposure.

Edit: I got a perfect defense! Lobsters cannot be Nazis, due to their limited intelligence and basic social structure... thus, humans cannot be Nazis. /micdrop
    Last edited by Felya; 2019-06-14 at 12:51 PM.

You also have to consider the context of this thread. It’s not like Peterson doesn’t have a platform to defend him self with a solid argument. Going to the government, when you are a prominent voice giving speeches weekly, should make his inability to defend him self very clear... and he cannot blame lack of exposure.
    Exactly, this isn't about wanting to refute what someone else said, it's about seeking to use government force to infringe on the speech of others, all because he doesn't like what was said. That's what makes him so blatantly hypocritical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, this isn't about wanting to refute what someone else said, it's about seeking to use government force to infringe on the speech of others, all because he doesn't like what was said. That's what makes him so blatantly hypocritical.
    Like I’ve said... He appeals to those who don’t understand racism. Anyone arguing that treating people like a fascist would treat a race they hate, is fine, is showing an incredible amount of ignorance. People don’t want to be kicked out of their homes and treated like garbage, regardless if it’s due to their race or what ever excuse a fascist can come up with. The issue with racism, isn’t the label... but, the way people get treated as a result. Removing the label, doesn’t change the abhorrent treatment.

Like I’ve said... He appeals to those who don’t understand racism. Anyone arguing that treating people like a fascist would treat a race they hate, is fine, is showing an incredible amount of ignorance. People don’t want to be kicked out of their homes and treated like garbage, regardless if it’s due to their race or what ever excuse a fascist can come up with. The issue with racism, isn’t the label... but, the way people get treated as a result. Removing the label, doesn’t change the abhorrent treatment.
    You are right, the inherent dangers in racism is not that someone hates you based on race, it's that they seek to use force to oppress you in one manner or another. In that regard, you can't get much more authoritarian than fascism. I equate it to the people who want to kick out Muslims, prevent them from coming, or ban mosques. Their response when called racist or xenophobic is always, "Islam is not a race." That's great and all, but that in no way excuses the authoritarian behavior they are exhibiting. I mean, if people want to get upset at being called fascists... maybe they shouldn't act like fascists.

Facsists and other authoritarians will use any excuse they want to oppress you. Hell, they may not even use any reason at all, as their goal is oppression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Marxist doesn't carry the same weight that fascist does. Plenty of people openly identify as Marxist and there are various schools of thought that stem from classical Marxism. Fascism, on the other hand, is used mostly as a pejorative and few people openly identify as fascist. It's a word that is overused as a bludgeon against one's opponents and is a borderline cliche. I suppose you could say the same about how Fox News throws around the word Marxist, but it's still not a naughty word despite their propaganda.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    If you argue for purely meritocratic hierarchies, you are far right. It's just how it is, everyone knows it.
    Hierarchies are rarely meritocratic. It'd be great if they were, but it's rare. It's a very smiliar situation with "free markets." We can pay lip service to "free markets" as much as we want, but there are no absolutely free markets. They simply don't exist.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    If you argue for purely meritocratic hierarchies, you are far right. It's just how it is, everyone knows it.
    Is this your sarcasm acting up?������

Quote Originally Posted by Ashina View Post
    This is ridiculous. Only people who don’t listen to Peterson think he’s a far right opinion maker. All of his views are on YouTube, educate yourselves snowflakes.
    When the far right fall over themselves citing him, that in fact does make him a far right opinion maker. While I personally feel he's more of opportunist, his views noticeably shifted more and more right as the checks got bigger and bigger.